Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    One last thing before i go. I notice that people gets upset whenever someone say negative about JV. The topic always gets derailed. It's like you're not allowed say anything negative about him lol.

Back to the topic, in this vid, Barkley and Sahq were criticizing/talking about Blake and Dwight's post up game. I think both guys are GREAT post up players, they're not McHale or Olajuwon but they're really good. Now compare Blake and Dwight's post up game to JV. I don't think it's close.

This is where you've shot yourself in the foot.

What you should be discussing is your personal preference for style.

JV doesn't get many style points. Luckily that doesn't matter when it comes to winning games.

Go play with stats.nba.com.

You'll see JV was in the 89th percentile last season for points per post up....that is awesome by the way and it was based on about 360 post ups.

Howard last season was somewhere around the 35th percentile based on about 330 post ups.

I'm not sure what griffin was but if he can top the 89th percentile, good for him.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
      if you think dwight is a great post up player, i don't know what to tell you man
      Sometimes you just have to let them keep talking to realize they don't have a sweet clue what they are saying.

Comment

One last thing before i go. I notice that people gets upset whenever someone say negative about JV. The topic always gets derailed. It's like you're not allowed say anything negative about him lol.

Back to the topic, in this vid, Barkley and Sahq were criticizing/talking about Blake and Dwight's post up game. I think both guys are GREAT post up players, they're not McHale or Olajuwon but they're really good. Now compare Blake and Dwight's post up game to JV. I don't think it's close.
        Howard a great post-up player? That's laughable.

And if you hate Jonas' footwork in the post, Griffin is probably just as "egregious", though in the same way efficient as he was at .95 PPP while Jonas was at 1.01 PPP (I believe)

Here's a video on Blake's post ups.

Comment

The dwight of now is not a good post player. Even in orlando days, he was better as a roll man.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Dwight has NEVER been a good post player. Whenever he cries for more post-ups, various intelligent NBA writers like Zack Lowe shake their heads and don't understand - he's an all-time great in the PnR, but brutal in the post - no footwork, no touch, no variety of moves. And most importantly - he just doesn't score.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Dwight has NEVER been a good post player. Whenever he cries for more post-ups, various intelligent NBA writers like Zack Lowe shake their heads and don't understand - he's an all-time great in the PnR, but brutal in the post - no footwork, no touch, no variety of moves. And most importantly - he just doesn't score.
              He was better as a post passer than scorer under SVG

Comment

Dwight a good post up player?! On what planet? You want a good post up player look at Aldridge or Jefferson. JV isn't a good post up player in terms of skill set or footwork, but he is damn good at finishing around the rim from the post. JV and Howard are basically the same in the post, I remember one move of Howard's back in his Orlando days, his running hook shot, same thing JV does.
                Last edited by A.I; Sat Oct 31, 2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Amazing what happens when you find your big man in the post...and when the big man doesn't hesitate.

Nice to see JV looking to pass it. Not highly successful right now, but keep it up Big Fella, cause you will be come playoff time.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Amazing what happens when you find your big man in the post...and when the big man doesn't hesitate.

Nice to see JV looking to pass it. Not highly successful right now, but keep it up Big Fella, cause you will be come playoff time.
                      I think that bold #1 is definitely going to lead to bold #2. Having Carroll and Lowry making smart cuts and plays off the ball should open things up for JV. I loved the cross court pass for the weak side 3. I really want to see more of that vision and passing

My favorite things from the games 1 and 3 so far though? JV is getting some easy buckets while under/moving to the rim. They're getting the ball to him much more often in those situations and not just relying on him posting it up (compared to previous years)

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                        I think that bold #1 is definitely going to lead to bold #2. Having Carroll and Lowry making smart cuts and plays off the ball should open things up for JV. I loved the cross court pass for the weak side 3. I really want to see more of that vision and passing

My favorite things from the games 1 and 3 so far though? JV is getting some easy buckets while under/moving to the rim. They're getting the ball to him much more often in those situations and not just relying on him posting it up (compared to previous years)
                        Hell yes, the easy buckets have been great. Smart basketball.

I'd like Jonas to quit flailing about so much. He's taking himself out of plays instead of a) following through the contact and trying to finish, and b) being unable to react in time if he doesn't get the whistle and the play continues. There may be a live ball on the floor but he's too busy flapping his wings like Big Bird and rolling his head around like a drunken sailor. He also takes himself out of the continuing play if he holds his "straight up" position to show he didn't foul but there's no whistle. Keep playing until you hear the whistle, man.

But otherwise - a couple of really promising games all around.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Hell yes, the easy buckets have been great. Smart basketball.

I'd like Jonas to quit flailing about so much. He's taking himself out of plays instead of a) following through the contact and trying to finish, and b) being unable to react in time if he doesn't get the whistle and the play continues. There may be a live ball on the floor but he's too busy flapping his wings like Big Bird and rolling his head around like a drunken sailor. He also takes himself out of the continuing play if he holds his "straight up" position to show he didn't foul but there's no whistle. Keep playing until you hear the whistle, man.

But otherwise - a couple of really promising games all around.
                          I actually thought the flailing seemed a little better so far this year, definitely want that to continue fading off. I think if we keep seeing him get the dozen attempts a game his mindset should shift... hopefully.

The straight up arm thing on defense needs to stop though. Yea sure you get some rough calls but taunting the refs isnt going to help lol

Already noticing it with him watching for his teammates on his post ups

Comment

• Game 1 - I thought the Raptors were trying to move the ball but everything looked forced and awkard and it wasn't successful.

Game 2 - That third quarter when the ball was flying around it was just beautiful to watch. JV didn't have himself a great game, and I was asking myself even if JV did have a good game would he fit into the motion offence very well? He's slow to react and make a pass, hesitates, and I just felt like he'd be a ball stopper in that type of offence

Game 3 - JV has himself a great game within the motion offence and I'm starting to belive this may actually work. This raod trip can't come soon enough. I want to see if JV can continue to be successfull within the new offence, but against better competition.

The really exciting part is that it's only been 3 games and what we are seeing is just the start of the team chemistry forming around this new offence. Guys are still hesitating a bit with the pass as they are still learning to trust each other. Can't wait to see how it looks once everything comes together.

Comment

• He's starting to look real nice turning baseline - even had a little fader last night.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                He's starting to look real nice turning baseline - even had a little fader last night.
                                I think that game was his most well polished ever in terms of scoring. I loved it.

Comment

Working...
                                X