Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    That defense was a challenge for Jonas, to be sure, partly because of the perimeter players he was playing with. But challenge and failure results in some of the greatest learning, as long as a learning culture is there to reinforce the lessons and the player is receptive.All signs point to Jonas having learned some valuable lessons.
    Well sure, if you're going to take the POV the Jonas' development has been helped by the fact that Casey's a bad head coach, then maybe you're right, hehe.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Casey has gotten Jonas to 2 playoffs, getting a great performance from him in one of them. That is not the worst developmental environment I can think of. A season behind? Jonas is well in front of the vast majority of bigs at his age. I really don't know that you can ask for much more.
      He's always been well ahead of the vast majority of not just bigs, but all players his age. That's not progress.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        There's nothing to Jonas' game that makes me think Casey's done anything other than an average job of development. What we know for sure is that last year, he was being forced to play in a defensive scheme that was ill-suited to his ability, which means that he lost an entire year of learning to play the kind of defence he should have been learning to play. And then, of course, there was all of the actual game time he missed - mostly in the 4th quarters - because of the fact he was a defensive liability, because the scheme was fucking ridiculous.

I'd also argue that based on JV's FT% and shot mechanics, his 15-20 foot jump shot should be WAY more developed than it is.
        I said it before, and I'll keep saying it. Jonas could and would be averaging 20+ points and 10+ rebounds this season if it wasn't for Casey. He has been nothing short of terrific this season.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          He's always been well ahead of the vast majority of not just bigs, but all players his age. That's not progress.
          It is relative to the perspective that he's a season behind.

Comment

That defense was a challenge for Jonas, to be sure, partly because of the perimeter players he was playing with. But challenge and failure result in some of the greatest learning, as long as a learning culture is there to reinforce the lessons and the player is receptive. All signs point to Jonas having learned some valuable lessons, literally zero reason to think that a year was completely wasted.
            I didn't say anything about a year being completely wasted.
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

It is relative to the perspective that he's a season behind.
              Well when he was drafted he was considered one of the best players his age in the world. How many people would still say that?

So yeah, feels like he's playing catch up to his peers even though he's been improving. I mean he's shooting 62% and only getting 9.3 FGA per game. How is he still not more involved? Hopefully this goes up as the season goes on. It should've gone up more even in his 2nd season. And it's hard to think of any reason it wouldn't have been better to switch the defensive system two seasons ago. He's proving he's a dependable defensive presence in the middle this year, and he could've been a year or two farther along if changes had been made sooner.

The last couple of seasons it often looked like he was playing on edge. Like he was too worried about making a mistake. That's not a good way to build confidence. He felt like if he missed a shot, or turned it over, or the team gave up a layup, he'd get pulled. And he was usually right. Casey didn't ever show any confidence in the kid and still barely seems to, even though he's been playing at an all-star level so far this season.

Comment

Sorry, that was moreso in response to white men.

Comment

Defensively I think it was. Maybe even two years wasted in that respect. But definitely at least the one.

Offensively it's more about a stagnant pace. His role should've been expanded earlier to accelerate his development on that end.

Comment

That defense was a challenge for Jonas, to be sure, partly because of the perimeter players he was playing with. But challenge and failure result in some of the greatest learning, as long as a learning culture is there to reinforce the lessons and the player is receptive. All signs point to Jonas having learned some valuable lessons, literally zero reason to think that a year was completely wasted.
                    I do think a year was wasted, from a team/system point-of-view. The defensive system flaws are obvious and un-deniable, and go far beyond developing a system to suit Jonas. But also on offense, we wasted an entire year teaching players not to pass, encouraging them to take contested shots and generally how to make bad decisions. It's kind of sad how we are now applauding Derozan in his 7th season for having an 11 assist game.

Individual players who have talent and a strong work ethic, will always improve their core skills on their own and "transcend" bad coaching, so in a sense, I suppose a year of development is never truly "wasted". But, IMO, that is a bare minimum.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Defensively I think it was. Maybe even two years wasted in that respect. But definitely at least the one.

Offensively it's more about a stagnant pace. His role should've been expanded earlier to accelerate his development on that end.

In terms of learning to play within an appropriate system, I agree - it was a wasted year.

(That said, there's the very real possibility that wasted year also allowed him to be signed for 10-20 million less than he should have...you win some you lose some...)
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Casey did nothing For Jonas except hold him back...

That's like saying the Coach Who refused to rep Tmac Darrel walker when Tmac was on the Team was doing that for his development.

Casey HURT JONAS!!!

Comment

• White men can't jump made some good points. I think that if Amir would still be here, Jonas would be sitting on a bench in 4th quarters. And I will try to keep it simple and polite as much as I can, but Casey is not a good coach and he certainly doesn't know how to work with young players. Three things that helped Jonas so far: he has a lot of talent; he works very hard; he got his share of experience how to win on the international level. Finally, I think that a lot of people expected to see him play like he does now last year. Rookie season is shaky for most (he broke his finger). Second season was pretty good for him, first playoff exeprience and the post Rudy trade Raptors were the best. But that hedging bullcrap and the all guard - all iso offense in the third season - man, that was just... urrrghh, too much.
                          MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Whatever Casey's role in it, we can agree that Jonas has arrived.

Comment

Whatever Casey's role in it, we can agree that Jonas has arrived.
                              He's better but still has a ways to go. For example, he still needs to learn how to pass out of the post. Also needs to develop some chemistry with a PG who can run a pick & roll and hit the rolling big, since Lowry really sucks at that. Maybe with CoJo or Delon down the road. Some of these things are somewhat out of his control, though, just like the defensive system last season.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                He's better but still has a ways to go. For example, he still needs to learn how to pass out of the post. Also needs to develop some chemistry with a PG who can run a pick & roll and hit the rolling big, since Lowry really sucks at that. Maybe with CoJo or Delon down the road. Some of these things are somewhat out of his control, though, just like the defensive system last season.
                                Sure, but he looks like he'll be playing in the AS game in the ACC in Feb if he and the Raps can keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X