Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    Most of his minutes he plays without shooters on the floor though. Especially with Carroll out. The only shooter on the floor for the majority of his minutes is Lowry, and it's a lot easier to guard 1 shooter than 4.
    True. I just feel like a lot of times I see JV get doubled in the post and cough it up, rather than get rid of the ball.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
      True. I just feel like a lot of times I see JV get doubled in the post and cough it up, rather than get rid of the ball.
      If he played with shooters, it would be a lot harder for teams to double him and not leave someone wide open. Teams aren't worried about leaving DeMar, Scola, or JJ open above the break to double Jonas.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I think he does tend to be slow in recognizing the 2nd defender. But it happens so rarely (his straight postups, let alone times where he's doubled) that you may just remember his turnovers more than any successful kickouts. I'm sure I do.
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

no shooters -> more double teams, adds to the problem.

no movement -> guys aren't getting open, also an issue.

not a lot of opportunities.

No, he hasn't shown to be a great passer. But he doesn't need to be great at it to make the right play, only serviceable. And I think the jury is out on that still based on a lack of data.

Comment

• I agree that the lack of shooting has been an issue. Hopefully Ross and PP are out of their respective funks, Lowry gets his mojo back down the stretch, and a well-rested Carroll is a sharper-shooting Carroll. Then JV and the team would be firing on all cylinders.

Comment

• Patrick Patterson and Bismack Biyombo get more touches per game as the roll man than JV.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                I agree that the lack of shooting has been an issue. Hopefully Ross and PP are out of their respective funks, Lowry gets his mojo back down the stretch, and a well-rested Carroll is a sharper-shooting Carroll. Then JV and the team would be firing on all cylinders.
                The problem with Ross and PP shooting well is that it doesn't necessarily help JV, because he doesn't play with those guys.

Jonas has logged time with Patterson in 19 games this season, with a total of 98 minutes on the floor together. An average of just over 5 minutes per game on the floor together.

Jonas has logged time with Ross in 12 games this season, with a total of 78 minutes on the floor together. An average of just over 6 minutes per game on the floor together.

He doesn't play with our shooters, the guys who would create the most space for him.

Comment

The problem with Ross and PP shooting well is that it doesn't necessarily help JV, because he doesn't play with those guys.

Jonas has logged time with Patterson in 19 games this season, with a total of 98 minutes on the floor together. An average of just over 5 minutes per game on the floor together.

Jonas has logged time with Ross in 12 games this season, with a total of 78 minutes on the floor together. An average of just over 6 minutes per game on the floor together.

He doesn't play with our shooters, the guys who would create the most space for him.
                  I'm still really surprised at the lack of time together with JV and Ross. They actually seemed to have some pretty decent chemistry together.
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                    I'm still really surprised at the lack of time together with JV and Ross. They actually seemed to have some pretty decent chemistry together.
                    It's insane. Ross and JV have a +10.3 Net rating, Ross and PPat have a +24.9 net rating. In terms of Ortg among rotation players, JV's best 3 2man units, in order, are PPat, Joseph and Ross. In 20 games played with Joseph, JV has logged 162 total minutes for just over 8 minutes per game.

JV doesn't play with the guys he fits best with, for no apparent reason.

Comment

It's insane. Ross and JV have a +10.3 Net rating, Ross and PPat have a +24.9 net rating. In terms of Ortg among rotation players, JV's best 3 2man units, in order, are PPat, Joseph and Ross. In 20 games played with Joseph, JV has logged 162 total minutes for just over 8 minutes per game.

JV doesn't play with the guys he fits best with, for no apparent reason.
                      Ignoring all of that (I agree with what you're saying); it's still weird that the 3 of them (JV, Ross, Patterson) are so good together ... in pairs but not all at once.

I mean, I understand the why ... but I don't get it.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                        Ignoring all of that (I agree with what you're saying); it's still weird that the 3 of them (JV, Ross, Patterson) are so good together ... as long as one of others is missing.
                        Are they bad when all three are together? That really hard to say. In terms of a 3-man unit, they've spent 42 minutes on the floor together across 11 games, less than 4 minutes per game. In that time, they have a +17.9 net rating, with an assist rate of 59.4% and a true shooting percentage of 61.1%, way above our team's average. Rebounding percentage is way down in those minutes, however.

Comment

Are they bad when all three are together? That really hard to say. In terms of a 3-man unit, they've spent 42 minutes on the floor together across 11 games, less than 4 minutes per game. In that time, they have a +17.9 net rating, with an assist rate of 59.4% and a true shooting percentage of 61.1%, way above our team's average. Rebounding percentage is way down in those minutes, however.
                          I based it off of last years numbers. This year they could be better but the sample size isn't large enough yet to conclusively say that.

Comment

Maybe because Patterson plays 4, and our bigger 3s (Carroll, JJ) are on the bench. Could that be it?
                            OG is our king

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                              Maybe because Patterson plays 4, and our bigger 3s (Carroll, JJ) are on the bench. Could that be it?
                              Would be my guess, if we're going to play Ross/PPat/JV together, my preferred group would definitely be Lowry/Ross/Carroll/Pat/JV. I like Ross better at the 2 anyways, because he can be swapped onto the better guard to let Lowry save energy for offense.

Comment

• Saw this on reddit... best pick and roll 'roll men'.

https://i.imgur.com/cdQLtgL.jpg

Look who didn't qualify. For the record, if JV DID qualify, he's at 1.14 PPP as the roll man right now, so he'd be one of the ten best guys in the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X