Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Loving what I'm seeing with JV's passing recently, had three excellent assists last night. High low lob-pass over the defense to DeRozan down low, quick bounce pass to a cutting Scola and the drop-off bounce pass for a DeRozan layup.

I think there's a lot of room for growth in his game as a playmaking bigman. People forget that a guy like Marc Gasol came into the league at 24 and didn't really become a great passing big until he was like 27. Jonas is still just 23. I think it's something that with more opportunity and experience is going to continue to grow.
    Yup. Opportunity will be limited since Casey's system limits passing but the biggest thing will be the experience. Learning to read the help defence and where/when it comes and where/when it can be exploited can only come from experience.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      What? Why?

Many were happy to land a talented player that may have gone higher if he weren't staying overseas for a year.
      because he's trolling

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
        Loving what I'm seeing with JV's passing recently, had three excellent assists last night. High low lob-pass over the defense to DeRozan down low, quick bounce pass to a cutting Scola and the drop-off bounce pass for a DeRozan layup.

I think there's a lot of room for growth in his game as a playmaking bigman. People forget that a guy like Marc Gasol came into the league at 24 and didn't really become a great passing big until he was like 27. Jonas is still just 23. I think it's something that with more opportunity and experience is going to continue to grow.
        I pointed out a few days ago how efficient Jonas is from the elbow. Last night was a great example of that. We need to use him there more.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          I pointed out a few days ago how efficient Jonas is from the elbow. Last night was a great example of that. We need to use him there more.
          Could have stopped right there.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
            Could have stopped right there.
            Could have started and stopped there.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Yup. Opportunity will be limited since Casey's system limits passing but the biggest thing will be the experience. Learning to read the help defence and where/when it comes and where/when it can be exploited can only come from experience.
              Can you explain How Casey's "system" "limits" passing? I hear Casey talking about the need to improve our ball movement. I have heard it suggested that he's employed "Horns" in the past, at least. And yet I read, here, (some of, perhaps) Casey's detractors talking about how Casey didin't run any system at all, last year - as well as claims that he simply refuses to hold DD and KL accountable to any system ...

So - how is it even sensible to talk about employing a system that somehow precludes or "limits" players passing - to JV, for example?

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                Can you explain How Casey's "system" "limits" passing? I hear Casey talking about the need to improve our ball movement. I have heard it suggested that he's employed "Horns" in the past, at least. And yet I read, here, (some of, perhaps) Casey's detractors talking about how Casey didin't run any system at all, last year - as well as claims that he simply refuses to hold DD and KL accountable to any system ...

So - how is it even sensible to talk about employing a system that somehow precludes or "limits" players passing - to JV, for example?
                The reality is that the Raptors have one of the lowest rates of passing to big men in the pick and roll and in general in the league. Whether that is because of Casey's offensive system or because of his lack of a system, it is largely the same thing - the team's offence as it exists now does not encourage inclusion of bigs in the offence except as a last resort.

They also have one of the lowest assist rates in the league. Coincidence? Maybe. But years of being in the basement in terms of assist rate? Not likely.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post

Casey prefers to limit passing because he believes it will keep the turnover numbers down.

So his offence is predicated on getting Lowry or Demar the ball in position to attack off the bounce. Watch each set, all the passing is well out on the perimeter until they get either KL or DD for the dribble attack (sometimes using a screen, sometimes off ball screens). Sometimes they pass out from the drive but all passes are either escaping pressure (kick out to perimeter) or pretty damn close to mid court swinging around the perimeter.

We don't use passing to get the into the defence (which is where JV would normally receive opportunities). So the system is give the ball to DD or KL and have them create. Most of us don't really consider it much of a system because most NBA offences are complex layers of options, but ours is very simplistic and relies on DD or KL beating their man.

To simplify down, look at the typical Raptors PnR vs a traditional PnR. A Raptors PnR, the ball handler rarely even looks to pass the ball to the roll man because the screen is design to help the dribbler get space. They can either drive or shoot. A traditional NBA PnR, the offence is looking for one of the following options (roughly in order):
                  1. Dribble drive to the rim
                  2. If Def plays the ball, pass to roll man at rim
                  3. If Def sags, open shot for dribble on perimeter
                  4. If strong side help comes, pass for strong side corner three
                  5. If weak side help comes, pull ball back out (forcing the defence often into no mans land) and either hit weak side corner 3, or roll man sealing their man at rim (depending on how the defence plays it).

Option 2 for most teams is something we almost never do because we don't employ North-South passing into our offence.
                  ~

Unless of course you are merely trying to argue the use of the words "system" by those of use who believe Casey is incompetent.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• To add to what Axel said, and expand on the frustration of many with Jonas' lack of involvement. There are currently 13 NBA players averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds per 36 minutes. Of these guys, Jonas has the highest TS%, 4th highest WS/48, highest Ortg, and 2nd highest TRB%.

Of these players, only one(Kenneth Faried) gets less frontcourt touches and less time with the ball in his hands per game. Jonas plays the least minutes per game and has the lowest FGA per game of any guy in this group. He ranks last in usage in this group.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• We're finding our way as a reasonably talented, but young, team. I do think that the effort has been there consistently, and would agree we could have been blowing out bad teams with a small talent upgrade, mostly in the distance shooting department whilst our gunners were struggling. However, we are likely to have 2 allstars, and might have had 3 if not forJV's injury and the Ws that-could-have-been. Then there's Carroll's woeful season to date.

If we can get right, our talent AND effort could have us at an ECF level for the playoffs. That is - WE'RE GOOD.

Comment

• Today JV was drafted to Lithuanian army forces. 32nd in the draft, lol, lower than in NBA though. The duty is for 9 months. Oh ohh. Nah, just kidding, he's not going because he represents national bball team.
                        MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          We're finding our way as a reasonably talented, but young, team. I do think that the effort has been there consistently, and would agree we could have been blowing out bad teams with a small talent upgrade, mostly in the distance shooting department whilst our gunners were struggling. However, we are likely to have 2 allstars, and might have had 3 if not forJV's injury and the Ws that-could-have-been. Then there's Carroll's woeful season to date.

If we can get right, our talent AND effort could have us at an ECF level for the playoffs. That is - WE'RE GOOD.
                          *Jinx*

(But there's substantial truth in what you say, I think ... I hope )

Comment

• Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
                            Today JV was drafted to Lithuanian army forces. 32nd in the draft, lol, lower than in NBA though. The duty is for 9 months. Oh ohh. Nah, just kidding, he's not going because he represents national bball team.
                            What the heck? Has the WORLD WAR 3 begun? And 7 footer in the army? Come on now, Lithuania

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              What the heck? Has the WORLD WAR 3 begun? And 7 footer in the army? Come on now, Lithuania
                              Imagine him in a tank
                              MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
                                Imagine him in a tank
                                JV the tank commander
                                OG is our king

Comment

Working...
                                X