Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Valanciunas is defending post-ups like an animal this season.

In 58 post-ups against him this season (a bit over 2 per game), he's holding opponents to 22.9% shooting and 0.45 PPP which is in the 98.7th percentile. He also sees post-ups with the highest frequency on our team.

Actually he's statistically the best post-defender in the entire NBA this season, as he's 1st in oPPP among bigs with more than 10 post up against them this year.

Where he struggles is in pick and roll defense, as he's actually been the worst pick and roll defending big in the league this season giving up 1.28 PPP and 60.6% shooting in 36 of these situations. The thing is, none of our bigs really defend the P&R well except 2Pat (70th percentile), Scola is barely better than JV and even Biyombo is in the 48th percentile, which is below average.

What stings about this is that our boy, Chris Bosh has been the best pick and roll man defender this season among bigs, giving up just 0.57 PPP and 26.7% shooting (Aldridge isn't far behind him), just even more of an argument for how perfect a fit he'd be with JV lol.
    You know what's consistent with our team? If we allow a p'n'r, especialy to the middle (which we allow less this year obviously), we have terrible anticipation as a team. The big will often stop the ballhandler and leave his man, and nobody is prepared to make the adjustment to cover the roller. Now obviously you'd probably expect Jonas and Scola to be the worst on the team with it, so in that way it makes sense, but the extreme to which all our bigs struggle with it relative to the rest of the league, and the fact that p'n'r is a play that you basically cannot defend with two people (that's why it's such a fundamental play), I really don't know if you can trust this to accurately portray someone's ability there. I mean, if our bigs are often stopping the ballhandler, but the roller scores, who gets the blame? Probably the big since there's often no other defender within reach of the roller and he was the big's man meaning the big is still the closest defender and "responsible" for a play he cannot possibly make.

Also I really would like to know more about this stat. 36 situations? Has Jonas really faced just 36 p'n'rs this whole season? That'd be barely more than one a game, which makes me think this is obviously just for when a shot is taken in the p'n'r. And then does that then discount the p'n'rs that are not successfully run in that sense and just lead to a pass out of that play or a reset of the offence? Because really the best defending of the p'n'r is properly covering lanes to discourage the drive and the pass, which means when you defend it properly it generally won't lead to an attempt.

I don't think Jonas is good at defending the p'n'r, but I can only think of two starting Cs in recent memory who were surprisingly good at it (and not actually PFs): Chandler and Noah. Even some of the athletic freaks like prime Howard, Drummond, Jordan are actually pretty damn bad at moving those feet quick enough to really make a difference. Fact is, if your team isn't prepared to backup the defenders stuck in the p'n'r, it's going to be pretty fucking hard to defend.

*I don't know how much better post-up stats are, but probably among the most reliable from defensive stats since it's an ISO play which is a pretty straightforward situation with no other moving parts to consider. Jonas most definitely has become a good post defender. If I have to give some credit to anyone, it might be ol' Chuck Hayes. I mean, maybe Magloire is helping him out (I still think the only skill he could pass on is keeping those elbows high on rebounds), but I'm going to keep thinking it's Chuck.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Jan 24, 2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

In 58 post-ups against him this season (a bit over 2 per game), he's holding opponents to 22.9% shooting and 0.45 PPP which is in the 98.7th percentile. He also sees post-ups with the highest frequency on our team.

Actually he's statistically the best post-defender in the entire NBA this season, as he's 1st in oPPP among bigs with more than 10 post up against them this year.

Where he struggles is in pick and roll defense, as he's actually been the worst pick and roll defending big in the league this season giving up 1.28 PPP and 60.6% shooting in 36 of these situations. The thing is, none of our bigs really defend the P&R well except 2Pat (70th percentile), Scola is barely better than JV and even Biyombo is in the 48th percentile, which is below average.

What stings about this is that our boy, Chris Bosh has been the best pick and roll man defender this season among bigs, giving up just 0.57 PPP and 26.7% shooting (Aldridge isn't far behind him), just even more of an argument for how perfect a fit he'd be with JV lol.
      A big problem is the fact that we play Scola with JV, who is probably no quicker and therefore can't make any kind of contribution on those plays help wise.

Consistently stopping a pick and roll requires more than 2 defenders, meaning someone else will be open. That's the whole point of it, freeing up either the guard, roll man, or someone elsewhere on the floor.

Comment

• The 36 PnR's are the plays on which the roller finished the play - so a pick and pop jump shot or a pick and roll where the big finishes in the lane. Pick and rolls where the ball handler finishes the play are classified differently. And if the pick drags out long enough, sometimes it can be re-classified as a cut by the big man. There aren't, unfortunately, any hard drawn lines in defining plays, we are at Synergy's mercy for that data.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• As for the play types, yeah, post defence and ISO defence are the most reliable and least team-dependent. PnR ball handler defence requires a lot of help, PnR roller defence requires even more, and defending catch and shoot shots poorly or well can be a function of how aggressively you help on those other plays and can be counterindicative of good defensive play (but of course is not always). Everything else (transition - basically useless, cuts might be useful to some degree when a guy falls asleep but can also be a function of help defence, off screens is basically meaningless considering what a wide variety of play types can fall under that heading) pretty much tells you nothing defensively. These stats are far more useful offensively.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Actually he's statistically the best post-defender in the entire NBA this season,

as he's 1st in oPPP among bigs with more than 10 post up against them this year.

JWash Tha Data Stats Crew member Heat Checks Stats that Shows That

JONAS AKA THA INSTIGATOR THE MOST DANGEROUS DEFENDER INSIDE THE PAINT.

The Youngsta Who was Claimed was A Poor Defender,
            JONAS ACUALLY THE BEST LOCKDOWN DEFENDER INSIDE THE PAINT.

HOODOO

Tha Instigator Who Has The Moves of Hakeem Olajuwon and

Feared by All Big Men inside The Association,

Also Showed Why Big Man hate repping against Valy,

JONAS SHUTS THE OPPONENTS BIG MEN DOWN AND SCORES ON EM. HE THA INSTIGATOR

VALUNCIUNAS AKA LITHUANIAN RUDEBWOY FEARED INSIDE THE PAINT

JONAS SO DOMINANT THAT OTHER TEAMS AFRAID TO SHOOT INSIDE THE PAINT,

BECAUSE JONAS STRAIGHT BLOCKS THEM

JONAS LOCKS ONTO THE BALL LIKE MOSES MALONE HE JUST GRABS THEM BOARDS

LIKE RAY ALLEN SHOOTING THREES THATS JONAS AND REBOUNDING THE BALL, TOO EASY

ON OFFENSE WHEN THE STUPID COACH CASEY GIVES THE BALL TO JONAS,

WHEN COACH GIVES HIM THE BALL, JONAS STRAIGHT DUNKS ON KLAFFY CLOWNS

JONAS VALUNCIUNAS AKA LITHUANIAN RUDEBWOY DOES NOT PLAY

Last edited by CB4Champ; Sun Jan 24, 2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• This squad should win a title this year with the proper coach...

CASEY SEEMS TO TRYING TO HURT THA RAPTORS LIKE THIBS DID TO DERRICK ROSE AND THA BULLS

Comment

• JV has done a better job of contesting someone's shot when they TURN IN to their move, rather than waiting for right before the shot goes up. He's been doing a great job of handling guys like Gasol and Bropez.
                OG is our king

Comment

• CB4Champ wrote: View Post
                  This squad should win a title this year with the proper coach...

CASEY SEEMS TO TRYING TO HURT THA RAPTORS LIKE THIBS DID TO DERRICK ROSE AND THA BULLS
                  Every time you post I'm not disappointed. Hahaha
                  OG is our king

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                    JV has done a better job of contesting someone's shot when they TURN IN to their move, rather than waiting for right before the shot goes up. He's been doing a great job of handling guys like Gasol and Bropez.
                    A huge improvement in his game has been his anticipation. It's a big part of why his fouls/36 are way down.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• I'm not entirely sure what was said in the post with all the pictures I just know it was brilliant.

DanH, you need to add more pictures and caps lock to your posts
                      Last edited by thead; Sun Jan 24, 2016, 02:23 PM.
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                        I'm not entirely sure what was said in the post with all the pictures I just know it was brilliant.

All i got from it is that JV needs to dye his hair purple

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                          All i got from it is that JV needs to dye his BEARD purple
                          Fixed it

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            I'm not entirely sure what was said in the post with all the pictures I just know it was brilliant.

If danh would just start adding pictures and memes to his posts, he'd totally deserve the max.
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Cb4champ 4 mvp

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                                If danh would just start adding pictures and memes to his posts, he'd totally deserve the max.
                                As it stands right now though, I'd probably let him walk this off season
                                OG is our king

Comment

Working...
                                X