Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    That's true. I posted the other day that I'm starting to feel like the only defensive stats that are actually useful are lineup splits, because there's too much noise in almost everything else. And even lineup splits have flaws.
    Lineup splits are noise as well. And so is the eye test because people are extremely biased.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      Lineup splits are noise as well. And so is the eye test because people are extremely biased.
      Lineups splits have noise, but I'm not convinced they are noise. If defense is played as a 5-man unit on every play, isn't it best evaluated in that manner as well?
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

It's interesting how when there's a negative stat about JV the narrative instantly goes to how other players on the team are to blame for it. But when there's a negative stat about DeRozan it's his fault and his alone, and when there's a negative stat about the team as a whole it's also DeRozan and/or Lowry's fault.

DFG% here is being ignored as "luck" for JV here even though he is 20% worse at the rim this year in that stat. However for DeRozan, who also struggles with DFG% this year, it's used as some sort of legitimate argument for him not putting in any effort on the defensive end, even though the past two years he has had average-slightly above average numbers there.

Just seems like a massive double standard to me, as someone who's a fan of both players.
        Seems like you're just labeling....

JV is a much better than average defender this year. Though it will probably take a couple of years for him to break that poor defender label that people go to because it is the easy argument.

Seriously JV is a plus on defense. Has been all year.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          Seems like you're just labeling....

JV is a much better than average defender this year. Though it will probably take a couple of years for him to break that poor defender label that people go to because it is the easy argument.

Seriously JV is a plus on defense. Has been all year.
          Don't think he's a poor defender and I've never thought that. I just don't think he's a game changer on the defensive end. Doesn't hurt you but he's not elevating a team defensively either.

To me that doesn't really matter though. Would like to see him get more looks so he can have a higher impact on the offensive end volume-wise.

Comment

Don't think he's a poor defender and I've never thought that. I just don't think he's a game changer on the defensive end. Doesn't hurt you but he's not elevating a team defensively either.

To me that doesn't really matter though. Would like to see him get more looks so he can have a higher impact on the offensive end volume-wise.
            He has been this year at times and will only get better.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              He has been this year at times and will only get better.
              I literally just said that he's only 23 and guys like Marc Gasol started out as average or even minus defenders and became DPOY, so anything is possible.

Just for now, I don't think JV has much impact on the defensive end.

Comment

• Post All-Star Break, JV's true shooting is 69.5%. eFG% of 65.8%. 21.3% usage.

Comment

I literally just said that he's only 23 and guys like Marc Gasol started out as average or even minus defenders and became DPOY, so anything is possible.

Just for now, I don't think JV has much impact on the defensive end.
                  JV has been very impactful on our defense this year.

He isn't as flashy as Biz so it seems like he isn't as good a defender...but his ability to contain penetration has been huge for us

Comment

Post All-Star Break, JV's true shooting is 69.5%. eFG% of 65.8%. 21.3% usage.
                    Beasting. Putting up a hair under 15ppg as well.

Comment

Beasting. Putting up a hair under 15ppg as well.
                      I just don't understand why that usage isn't higher. He should be playing more minutes, getting more usage. Lets find out just how much usage he can take before his efficiency nosedives, because we might need to know that in the playoffs.

How many centers, in the entire Eastern Conference, can guard JV in a playoff series?

Comment

I just don't understand why that usage isn't higher. He should be playing more minutes, getting more usage. Lets find out just how much usage he can take before his efficiency nosedives, because we might need to know that in the playoffs.

How many centers, in the entire Eastern Conference, can guard JV in a playoff series?
                        I don't know about centers, but Casey definitely can guard JV.

Comment

None. But will he get the touches? NOPE
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• JV plays the right amount of minutes.
                            JV has to win the trust of his teammates, until that happens, his touches will be limited, that people still somehow put that on the coach is pretty funny to me.

He's average on defence, not better, not worse. His awareness is coming along but he's still a bit lost at times. I have faith.

Comment

• How does one earn the trust of his teammates? Perhaps by putting up efficiencies near the top of the league for a few years in a row?
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• enough with the stats. watch the game. In the past he has had serious butter fingers. he misses a tonne of bunnies and thats not made up, you can see it. Has he been better, yep. Should they trust him? Hell yep. do they? maybe....

Thats basketball man, there are social aspects involved whether we as fans like it or not. Its isnt math, or a video game dan, you know that. The guys in the floor have to respect the guy more, its that simple. the coach isn't going to make that happen, ever, it just isnt how it goes man.

I like the JV, I think he's gonna keep getting better, I just think his lack of touches have more to do with his fellow teammates than the coaching staff..... and he plays a part too.

This is a good problem though, because damn, its only going to get better and better

Comment

Working...
                                X