Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
    enough with the stats. watch the game. In the past he has had serious butter fingers. he misses a tonne of bunnies and thats not made up, you can see it. Has he been better, yep. Should they trust him? Hell yep. do they? maybe....

Thats basketball man, there are social aspects involved whether we as fans like it or not. Its isnt math, or a video game dan, you know that. The guys in the floor have to respect the guy more, its that simple. the coach isn't going to make that happen, ever, it just isnt how it goes man.

I like the JV, I think he's gonna keep getting better, I just think his lack of touches have more to do with his fellow teammates than the coaching staff..... and he plays a part too.

This is a good problem though, because damn, its only going to get better and better
    and other things factor into touches as well, for example, every time he gets sent to the line for 2 shots, when they pass it to him and he passes it off to someone else (if he turns it down, it's fair game for someone else to take a shot), they pass it to him, but he fumbles it or gets called for an offensive foul (he could have taken the shot, but it was his fault for not getting the shot attempt)

also, I agree, stats are for nerds.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
      None. But will he get the touches? NOPE
      Gortat says hi.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
        JV plays the right amount of minutes.
        How did you make this conclusion

Comment

• Lopez took a shit on JV's chest last night. Can we talk about it?

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
            Lopez took a shit on JV's chest last night. Can we talk about it?
            He got abused, just a bad game though I think. He's done pretty well against Brook in the past.

Comment

• Kevin Pelton and Chad Ford just did an Insider piece rating the 10 best players who entered the league in 2012 for future potential.

They both agreed on the top 4 - Davis, Green, Lilliard and Drummond.

From there, Pelton rated them 5. Middleton, 6. Crowder, 7. Beal 8. MKG 9.JV 10. Barnes

Ford had them 5.Beal 6. MKG 7. Middleton 8. Barnes 9. JV 10. Crowder

Pelton:
              Valanciunas has developed into a solid starting center, and I still think he'd have a bigger offensive impact in an offense that was less guard-centric.
              Ford:
              I agree with your assessment on Valanciunas. He's a bit limited by the way the Raptors play.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• They aren't wrong. JV would be a much more impactful player in an offense that featured him more.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• I think JV still needs more confidence in his jumper (is that on the coach to encourage him?) in order to fully reach his potential. Big guys that aren't quick or high jumpers like Brook Lopez and Marc Gasol honed in on those 10 ft+ jumpers and became allstars. Can't always score down low.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    I think JV still needs more confidence in his jumper (is that on the coach to encourage him?) in order to fully reach his potential. Big guys that aren't quick or high jumpers like Brook Lopez and Marc Gasol honed in on those 10 ft+ jumpers and became allstars. Can't always score down low.
                    He already has that. Just has to take them. He's taken 56 jumpers this year from 10-19 feet. He's hit 54% of them. He misses his 20+ foot shots, but you don't want him taking those anyway (he's missed 4 this year, I think at least a couple in desperation situations).
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                      They aren't wrong. JV would be a much more impactful player in an offense that featured him more.
                      I feel like they should make more of an effort to get Lowry rest and run some offence through the DD/JV two man game with CoJo at the point and Ross/PP in the game. That sort of lineup has only played 36 minutes this year somehow, but has posted a tremendous ORTG of 117 and a net rating of +19 in that time.

The DD/JV two man game, be it through re-posts or PnR or even pick and pop, has been tremendous whenever they go to it.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        He already has that. Just has to take them. He's taken 56 jumpers this year from 10-19 feet. He's hit 54% of them. He misses his 20+ foot shots, but you don't want him taking those anyway (he's missed 4 this year, I think at least a couple in desperation situations).
                        Probably should've been more clear on that. By confidence, I mean he needs to start taking those jumpers instead of waiting around for a guard to come get the ball from him. Both Brook and Gasol take more than double the amount of those shots, making them very hard to guard against offensively.. They didn't get those big contracts for nothing.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                          Probably should've been more clear on that. By confidence, I mean he needs to start taking those jumpers instead of waiting around for a guard to come get the ball from him. Both Brook and Gasol take more than double the amount of those shots, making them very hard to guard against offensively.. They didn't get those big contracts for nothing.
                          It's weird to me why he doesn't take more jumpers. It's extremely difficult to guard a 7 footer who can knock down midrange jumpers at will like Lopez, Gasol, Towns etc

JV himself struggles to guard those type of players why he doesn't use that same shot to make it difficult to guard him makes no sense.
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            I feel like they should make more of an effort to get Lowry rest and run some offence through the DD/JV two man game with CoJo at the point and Ross/PP in the game. That sort of lineup has only played 36 minutes this year somehow, but has posted a tremendous ORTG of 117 and a net rating of +19 in that time.

The DD/JV two man game, be it through re-posts or PnR or even pick and pop, has been tremendous whenever they go to it.
                            If there's one thing we need to address this summer, it's getting more shooting. The splits between Ross/PP lineups versus all other groups show the effect of having shooters on the floor, and we just don't have enough of them.
                            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              It's weird to me why he doesn't take more jumpers. It's extremely difficult to guard a 7 footer who can knock down midrange jumpers at will like Lopez, Gasol, Towns etc

JV himself struggles to guard those type of players why he doesn't use that same shot to make it difficult to guard him makes no sense.
                              I honestly think it's because he's never had to really use that jumper to be effective throughout his career. He's used to having his offensive game focused around the basket and the jumper is kind of just an afterthought for him.

But he seems to be making an effort to incorporate it into his game more which is nice. He'll adjust and gain confidence I'm sure.
                              OG is our king

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                If there's one thing we need to address this summer, it's getting more shooting. The splits between Ross/PP lineups versus all other groups show the effect of having shooters on the floor, and we just don't have enough of them.
                                Shooting is expensive, defence is cheaper for FA's.. Probably have to trade for shooting.

Hopefully Bruno will be at least able to contribute at least somewhat on the offensive end next season.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X