No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is also really weird how DeMar was anointed as "the guy" so early - he was so raw. But by second season he was playing 35 mpg and jacking up 14 FGA at 21 years old. JV has more offense than DeMar came into the league with, this year he got 26 mpg and 8.9 FGA.

I know the Raptors were in more desperate need of talent when DeMar first arrived and especially after Bosh left, but it's stupid that DeMar's mantle as "our scorer, our guy, empty the clip, ride or die" was never adjusted as the talent improved all around him. This is not the 22-60 Jay Triano team of DeMar's second season anymore, but he's been the Raptors' Kobe ever since then.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      At what point was it exactly that bigs became these beta pussies that kowtow to their supreme alpha guards? Last I checked theyre BIGS. Stop acting scared. Howards scared of harden apparently, jv won't do shit around here...is it because guard play is more asthetically pleasing to the casual fan so owners and managers give in to them?

I miss the days of shaq, Hakeem, Kemp..these big muhfuckas that RAN their team. Maybe the only one left who's actually alpha dog of his offense is gasol. I don't count cousins or the brow cause they're trying to act like guards more and more now.
      I struggle with this. I want JV to dominate, to demand the ball and to force the team to bend around his game because i believe it would benefit the team.

I also want this team to be filled with capable two way players who understand that its a team game and don't care about their numbers...

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        It is also really weird how DeMar was anointed as "the guy" so early - he was so raw. But by second season he was playing 35 mpg and jacking up 14 FGA at 21 years old. JV has more offense than DeMar came into the league with, this year he got 26 mpg and 8.9 FGA.

I know the Raptors were in more desperate need of talent when DeMar first arrived and especially after Bosh left, but it's stupid that DeMar's mantle as "our scorer, our guy, empty the clip, ride or die" was never adjusted as the talent improved all around him. This is not the 22-60 Jay Triano team of DeMar's second season anymore, but he's been the Raptors' Kobe ever since then.
        Well said. They were forcing a new face down our throats post bosh, And it was like "hey he dunks and is about as as tall as you know who" but then as you said the depth caught up to him. If this is anybodys team it's kyles and kyles alone, I don't give a fuck how long matt jack and Leo carry on, derozan is in the role player tier and no more valuable than carroll jv 2pat cojo hell soon Powell should be there.

But it's too late now, we're too far gone. He'll never adapt to 12 shots a game. We've created a monster. The only option now is to cut it loose.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

It is also really weird how DeMar was anointed as "the guy" so early - he was so raw. But by second season he was playing 35 mpg and jacking up 14 FGA at 21 years old. JV has more offense than DeMar came into the league with, this year he got 26 mpg and 8.9 FGA.

Toronto has always been in the situation where they need to work extra hard to keep our stars happy.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Lowry and DD have really taken scoring on as their identities, they see so much of this as doubts/criticisms they just have to focus through and play through (to such a crazy extreme). It's always been troubling that their offense dominated the team so much and of course it looks infinitely worse right now, but this team has always had a rotation full of guys who can shoot the ball. JV, Patterson, Ross, Powell, CoJo, Carroll, Scola, can all shoot and score. The scrubs can score. Really JJ and Biyombo are the only guys you avoid giving shots to. It's not like Butler on the Bulls or Paul George on the Pacers, where this team needs that star to prop up their entire offense or else they just can't put the ball in the hoop. That the offense ran so well all year with DeMar sitting and bench players in with Lowry should have said enough to everybody about the depth of offensive talent on this team.

The longstanding criticism of OKC has been how much their offense depends on KD and Westbrook to ISO and create - and that's KD and Westbrook. Those guys are on another level from Lowry/DD as scorers. The imbalance here never did make sense but "hey we're winning, that justifies it" has long been the defense of it.
            Bingo, I've always envisioned the best version of this team is one that runs an offence based on ball and player movement and is concerned with generating high percentage looks for anyone that may be on the floor. No single player would dominate the offence. I've thought like that for years now, even thought it when Gay was here. But for some reason, the Raps need to market this team as one possessing stars or superstars, and they play and coach that way which is really holding back the ceiling of this squad IMO.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Bingo, I've always envisioned the best version of this team is one that runs an offence based on ball and player movement and is concerned with generating high percentage looks for anyone that may be on the floor. No single player would dominate the offence. I've thought like that for years now, even thought it when Gay was here. But for some reason, the Raps need to market this team as one possessing stars or superstars, and they play and coach that way which is really holding back the ceiling of this squad IMO.
              I'm on my phone and don't know how to bold, but it would have to be that way because it's been obvious for 3 years now we don't have a player capable of dominating the offence in a way that would work. We should have a sharing offence because we need everyone to be an equalish option to exploit specific matchups and hot hands...instead it's just feed our starting guards(last year backups too).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Any update on his situation?

Comment

• no comment on the fact JV was the focal of the offense prior to going down....the guys on NBA tv made this comment and that Casey planned this and fooled the media on purpose

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
                    no comment on the fact JV was the focal of the offense prior to going down....the guys on NBA tv made this comment and that Casey planned this and fooled the media on purpose
                    He was indeed, it looked great, and it's about damn time.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• here's hoping we were just playing ultra-conservative with the injury and gambling on the fact that we could hold on without JV given that whiteside was already out.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        here's hoping we were just playing ultra-conservative with the injury and gambling on the fact that we could hold on without JV given that whiteside was already out.
                        Yes speedy recovery JV

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                          here's hoping we were just playing ultra-conservative with the injury and gambling on the fact that we could hold on without JV given that whiteside was already out.
                          I heard he couldnt wear his dress shoe post game, his ankle was so swollen. Doesn't sound great. For the teams sake, at least the match ul isnt heavily skewed cause Whiteside went down. Really wish they were both all good though, that was the best matchup of the series for me.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                            I heard he couldnt wear his dress shoe post game, his ankle was so swollen. Doesn't sound great. For the teams sake, at least the match ul isnt heavily skewed cause Whiteside went down. Really wish they were both all good though, that was the best matchup of the series for me.
                            Next it is to see if Casey starts biyombo and sees if he can do better against old man haslem or take the size advantage and run with Thompson at the 5. I think Thompson is the better choice. Gives us a good look at his low post abilities and puts him in a position to succeed.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              Next it is to see if Casey starts biyombo and sees if he can do better against old man haslem or take the size advantage and run with Thompson at the 5. I think Thompson is the better choice. Gives us a good look at his low post abilities and puts him in a position to succeed.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk
                              Would be nice if we could have seen what JT could do in the last 2 months of the season. Instead, Casey played he who shall not be named.

Comment

• they got steroids, ice, tape and pain killers, JV plays game 4 book it
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X