Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mess wrote: View Post
    Patterson has been the one closing out on Frye a lot too. If he doesn't get close enough then no way JV can.

I'd only only play JV when Thompson is in. At least in the beginning, baby steps to get him back into the flow. It's going to be tough for him to get acclimated if he's got to be running both Frye/Love off the 3 point line to start. If he gets it going ride him.

Though playing on the road is a different animal. If Lowry or DD struggle again, then JV could pick up some of the scoring slack.

I wouldn't overhaul what has been working so far but he's a great option to have back.
    I think trying to match small with small is a mistake. Teams like GSW and Cleveland have smalls like Love and Green who can shoot and be dominant rebounders. We don't have those guys.

So if we can match small, we need to punish big. Grab every rebound, score in the paint every time down. It's working for Oklahoma City against the Death lineup of Golden State, we can do it against Cleveland.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Any concerns about the JV/Biyombo trade off? Obviously a huge plus on offence, but the energy Biz has brought on D the last two games isn't so easy to look past either. Plus this is a much more perimeter oriented team than either of the Pacers or Miami.
      Sure, he hasn't played in like 2 weeks. And he's got a bum ankle. And we're in the midst of a super intense series. Not easy to ask a guy to step back into the middle of that. I think Casey has to pick his spots carefully with JV to see what he can actually do out there. Hopefully, he's close to 100% but he's still going to take some time to get up to speed, which you don't have a lot of in a Game 5 on the road....

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        I think trying to match small with small is a mistake. Teams like GSW and Cleveland have smalls like Love and Green who can shoot and be dominant rebounders. We don't have those guys.

So if we can match small, we need to punish big. Grab every rebound, score in the paint every time down. It's working for Oklahoma City against the Death lineup of Golden State, we can do it against Cleveland.
        I think it's all gonna depend on how jv can perform. It won't be so easy for him get back into it after two weeks off. However we should definitely try and out-big them. If it doesn't work it doesn't work but it would be foolish to not at least give it a try considering the potentially large advantage it could give us.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
          I think it's all gonna depend on how jv can perform. It won't be so easy for him get back into it after two weeks off. However we should definitely try and out-big them. If it doesn't work it doesn't work but it would be foolish to not at least give it a try considering the potentially large advantage it could give us.
          He might be okay, conditioning wise, as he wouldn't generally be running up and down the floor like Carroll, Lowry or DeRozan.

I think it'd be great to run offense through him to give the Cavs something they wouldn't expect. I.e. take another 18-20 point lead by surprising them, and then hold them off as hard as possible.

Comment

• If we are losing by the end of the first when biz usually sits. Expect to see jv

If we are winning instead, I don't think jv will play today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Changes the way defenses have to look at him. Suddenly, the 3-man weave at the top of the key demands a post defender stay out on JV as well, which opens up the paint even more for DeMar/Kyle. Also, as Blake Murphy pointed out on twitter, sometimes he's the trailer in transition and can take a few there.

Just like Boogie's ability to shoot 3s has helped open up his post opportunities, this can do the same for JV.
              i mean why are we talking about JV shooting 3s in the eastern conference finals, having never ever asked him to do it in any prior game.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                i mean why are we talking about JV shooting 3s in the eastern conference finals, having never ever asked him to do it in any prior game.
                Because JV was talking about it?

Comment

Because JV was talking about it?
                  The quote was that he can hit them. Ask him if he's going to start taking them in the playoffs this year and I bet he'll laugh at you.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

The quote was that he can hit them. Ask him if he's going to start taking them in the playoffs this year and I bet he'll laugh at you.
                    Nah, I don't think it's a wrinkle for this year.

But it would certainly be a welcome addition to his game next year. Hey, if we think DeMar can become a 3pt shooter, JV's a better midrange shooter than DeMar's ever been.

Comment

• He just barely started taking wide-open midrange shots this year. And sometimes only after 2 pumpfakes. I just can't see him taking thees or being asked to spot up 23' from the hoop. I'd be shocked. I admit I want him to get more FGA's but not if they're all long range bombs.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

He just barely started taking wide-open midrange shots this year. And sometimes only after 2 pumpfakes. I just can't see him taking thees or being asked to spot up 23' from the hoop. I'd be shocked. I admit I want him to get more FGA's but not if they're all long range bombs.
                        I'm with you absolutely. I'd never want a JV 3 over a JV post-up. But if he's wide open and being ignored out there... why not?

It's more something you want available if it presents yourself, but you don't want to look for.

Comment

He just barely started taking wide-open midrange shots this year. And sometimes only after 2 pumpfakes. I just can't see him taking thees or being asked to spot up 23' from the hoop. I'd be shocked. I admit I want him to get more FGA's but not if they're all long range bombs.
                          All that matters is if Tristan Thomson thinks for a split second, one time, that he might actually shoot it and it's a dunk in the lane and two points.... That's all this is about.

Comment

• I'd rather that JV just get consistently reliable with a pick-and-pop midrange shot, because it would make his pick-and-roll game even more deadly if teams also had to guard against both the roll and the pop. I think his jumpshot is already good enough, he just doesn't have the quick, decisive release that pick-and-pop really requires.

Comment

• JV was a much better midrange shooter than Boogie Cousins. He definitely can be a better 3 point shooter.

Boogie shot 33% from 3 this year.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                                JV was a much better midrange shooter than Boogie Cousins. He definitely can be a better 3 point shooter.

Boogie shot 33% from 3 this year.
                                This is how I feel.

It's not that we need JV to shoot 3s, it's that it's an additional weapon in the arsenal. Never a bad thing. And JV's midrange game is in line with guys who developed into excellent 3pt shooters.

Comment

Working...
                                X