No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys relax. Nobody said jv was gonna turn into nick young. He just mentioned he can hit 3s in practice at a good rate, and would like to slowly incorporate it starting next year. Its the new nba right? Isn't that what everyone wanted? JVs type was going the way of the dinosaur? Well, maybe jv is actually more versatile that the Clumsy stiff many were writing him off as
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      This is how I feel.

It's not that we need JV to shoot 3s, it's that it's an additional weapon in the arsenal. Never a bad thing. And JV's midrange game is in line with guys who developed into excellent 3pt shooters.
      But then again. There's been a multitude of guys who were great in the midrange and never developed a 3 point shot.

Garnett is one of the greatest midrange shooting bigs of all time. But he never had a good 3 point shooting season.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        But then again. There's been a multitude of guys who were great in the midrange and never developed a 3 point shot.

Garnett is one of the greatest midrange shooting bigs of all time. But he never had a good 3 point shooting season.
        In 99-00, he hit 30/81 3s, for 37%. In 01-02, he hit 37/116 3s, for 31.6%.

Even 31% is acceptable for a big guy, you just have to show the threat to open up easier scoring options.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I think he just didn't want to shoot 3's. His pick and pop from the top of the circle was money though.
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Guys relax. Nobody said jv was gonna turn into nick young. He just mentioned he can hit 3s in practice at a good rate, and would like to slowly incorporate it starting next year. Its the new nba right? Isn't that what everyone wanted? JVs type was going the way of the dinosaur? Well, maybe jv is actually more versatile that the Clumsy stiff many were writing him off as
            Yeah we do not see what people are doing in practice , you never know

Comment

In 99-00, he hit 30/81 3s, for 37%. In 01-02, he hit 37/116 3s, for 31.6%.

Even 31% is acceptable for a big guy, you just have to show the threat to open up easier scoring options.
              My bad, was looking at the advanced shooting screen on bballreference and those stats weren't available until the 2000's.

Even then though, he's a career 45% shooter from 16feet to the 3 point line and a career 27% 3 point shooter. Elite midrange shooting doesn't guarantee even good 3 point shooting.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                I think he just didn't want to shoot 3's. His pick and pop from the top of the circle was money though.
                That too.

But honestly I think it was muscle memory for him. He was money from a foot inside the three point line but couldn't make the 3. I think his body was just so used to that shot that when he tried to go a bit further it threw him off.

Comment

That too.

But honestly I think it was muscle memory for him. He was money from a foot inside the three point line but couldn't make the 3. I think his body was just so used to that shot that when he tried to go a bit further it threw him off.
                  Given how good his numbers are for certain years, I'd be curious(if we had the data), to see how many of those 3pt attempts in the years he took less were contested end of game/quarter/shot clock 3s that didn't have a legitimate chance.

There's a real chance that he took a lot of those in years he didn't shoot many 3s, and it killed his career numbers.

Comment

Given how good his numbers are for certain years, I'd be curious(if we had the data), to see how many of those 3pt attempts in the years he took less were contested end of game/quarter/shot clock 3s that didn't have a legitimate chance.

There's a real chance that he took a lot of those in years he didn't shoot many 3s, and it killed his career numbers.
                    I mean he's 174/632 in his career. That's a big enough sample to off put those shots.

Comment

I mean he's 174/632 in his career. That's a big enough sample to off put those shots.
                      Actually, it's not!

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/08/29/...ing-stabilize/

Takes 750 3pt attempts before you have more data than noise.

Comment

Actually, it's not!

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/08/29/...ing-stabilize/

Takes 750 3pt attempts before you have more data than noise.
                        I was pretty sure that stat was to gauge if a player has a chance at improving.

If a guy shoots 27% on 632 career attempts, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's not a good 3 point shooter.

Comment

• This really is about next year, but can you imagine if JV DID have a three point shot? How hard would it be to defend a KL-DD-DC-PP-JV lineup? See the fits that a stretch 5 like Frye can give you defensively? Now imagine if Frye was lethal on the PnR, could crush you in the post, and was a solid rim protector. And was elite as a rebounder. And worked a vicious two man game with the league's elite driver.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            This really is about next year, but can you imagine if JV DID have a three point shot? How hard would it be to defend a KL-DD-DC-PP-JV lineup? See the fits that a stretch 5 like Frye can give you defensively? Now imagine if Frye was lethal on the PnR, could crush you in the post, and was a solid rim protector. And was elite as a rebounder. And worked a vicious two man game with the league's elite driver.
                            Wish I could like this twice. When JV came into the league one of the first things he did was show that he had a good shot from 15 ft out. I remember getting quite excited about it. But, as I recall, he was given firm instructions from Casey to foget about using that shot.
                            Last edited by Puffer; Wed May 25, 2016, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Wish I could like this twice. When JV came into the league one of the first things he did was shop that he had a good shot from 15 ft out. I remember getting quite excited about it. But, as I recall, he was given firm instructions from Casey to foget about using that shot.
                              Yes, gain weight and forget about that shot. Turn into Tyson chandler or maybe Roy Hibbert. Then of course 2 or 3 years after that was when casey said jv was too slow, cant play small perimeter ball In the new nba. What casey has yet to learn is the real "new nba" is kind of a position-less basketball. If you're really good at basketball there's always a spot for you. Unless you don't match dwane caseys Pokémon card he hands you in training camp.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Yes, gain weight and forget about that shot. Turn into Tyson chandler or maybe Roy Hibbert. Then of course 2 or 3 years after that was when casey said jv was too slow, cant play small perimeter ball In the new nba. What casey has yet to learn is the real "new nba" is kind of a position-less basketball. If you're really good at basketball there's always a spot for you. Unless you don't match dwane caseys Pokémon card he hands you in training camp.
                                People are killing Casey for this but he was following suit. Remember, it was only 3 seasons ago that rim-protecting big men were all the rage because of Roy Hibbert/Tyson Chandler as you said. It was natural that Casey would want JV to become that, except with an actually good post up game. Small ball only started in full force last year, before that it was just Bosh playing C for the Heat and before then it barely existed outside of very rare examples. People act as if Casey was behind the times when in reality he was following suit with the rest of the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X