Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ogi wrote: View Post
    But taking free throws out of the equation takes away the one thing that Derozan is actually elite at which is getting to the line and making free throws. Crews vary from game to game and year to year but if a player shows that he's able to consistently get to the line at a high rate then it means that it's something that player is good at regardless of officiating. Free throws are a part of the game and that's why ts percentage is a better way to look at overall efficiency.

That being said this is the first year you can look at Derozan's ts percentage and say he was pretty efficient. Let's hope he can keep it up.
    TS% Among qualified players this past season:
    1 Stephen Curry .669
    3 Kevin Durant .634
    4 JJ Redick .632
    5 Hassan Whiteside .629
    8 Enes Kanter .626
    13 Kawhi Leonard .616
    16 Jonas Valanciunas .610
    21 Dwight Howard .604
    28 James Harden .598
    29 Klay Thompson .597
    37 LeBron James .588
    T-39 Draymond Green .587
    Evan Fournier .587
    T-42 Channing Frye .586
    Bismack Biyombo .586
    T-55 Kyle Lowry .578
    Kyle Korver .578
    T-83 Al Horford .565
    LaMarcus Aldridge .565
    Andre Iguodala .565
    T-96 Brook Lopez .562
    Jimmy Butler .562
    Isaiah Thomas .562
    T-108 Harrison Barnes .559
    Gordon Hayward .559
    T-114 Paul George .557
    Dwight Powell .557
    T-123 Kemba Walker .554
    Russel Westbrook .554

135 DeMar DeRozan .550

I have a hard time seeing DeRozan leapfrog many of the guys ahead of him in raw TS% unless his FTR goes through the roof or he rounds out his game by adding a reliable 3PT shot and cuts down on the ill-advised FGA that he's so fond of. JV really should be in line for more touches and a larger role given how efficient he is despite taking so few jumpers.

Also, good luck to everyone trying to defend the Warriors.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post

1 Stephen Curry .669
      3 Kevin Durant .634
      4 JJ Redick .632
      5 Hassan Whiteside .629
      8 Enes Kanter .626
      13 Kawhi Leonard .616
      21 Dwight Howard .604
      28 James Harden .598
      29 Klay Thompson .597
      37 LeBron James .588
      T-39 Draymond Green .587
      Evan Fournier .587
      T-42 Channing Frye .586
      Bismack Biyombo .586
      T-55 Kyle Lowry .578
      Kyle Korver .578
      T-83 Al Horford .565
      LaMarcus Aldridge .565
      Andre Iguodala .565
      T-96 Brook Lopez .562
      Jimmy Butler .562
      Isaiah Thomas .562
      Gordon Hayward .559
      T-114 Paul George .557
      Dwight Powell .557
      T-123 Kemba Walker .554
      Russel Westbrook .554

135 DeMar DeRozan .550

I have a hard time seeing DeRozan leapfrog many of the guys ahead of him in raw TS% unless his FTR goes through the roof or he rounds out his game by adding a reliable 3PT shot and cuts down on the ill-advised FGA that he's so fond of. JV really should be in line for more touches and a larger role given how efficient he is despite taking so few jumpers.

What is a shooting guards TS% supposed to be to be considered efficient? Same for eFG%?
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

1 Stephen Curry .669
        3 Kevin Durant .634
        4 JJ Redick .632
        5 Hassan Whiteside .629
        8 Enes Kanter .626
        13 Kawhi Leonard .616
        21 Dwight Howard .604
        28 James Harden .598
        29 Klay Thompson .597
        37 LeBron James .588
        T-39 Draymond Green .587
        Evan Fournier .587
        T-42 Channing Frye .586
        Bismack Biyombo .586
        T-55 Kyle Lowry .578
        Kyle Korver .578
        T-83 Al Horford .565
        LaMarcus Aldridge .565
        Andre Iguodala .565
        T-96 Brook Lopez .562
        Jimmy Butler .562
        Isaiah Thomas .562
        Gordon Hayward .559
        T-114 Paul George .557
        Dwight Powell .557
        T-123 Kemba Walker .554
        Russel Westbrook .554

135 DeMar DeRozan .550

One thing to consider when looking at these numbers is that you'll typically find bigs that operate around the rim near the top of the list in virtually all offensive efficiency metrics.
        You also have to consider usage rate like Dan mentioned earlier. Higher usage guys will be getting most of the defensive attention of the opposing team making it harder for them to be efficient.
        Ideally (like most people on here) I'd like to see some of derozans shots going to jv and more of the offense running through jv as well. He's shown he can be very efficient (and in some cases unstoppable) as an offensive force within the scope of last year's offense. Now can he do that while carrying a higher usage rate? I don't know, but we should certainly be giving it a try next year considering he hasn't really given any reason to be doubted.

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

I can't tell whether or not Casey is trolling when he says stuff like this. Unless the current offensive system shifts, Valanciunas has limited room to grow.

Comment

I can't tell whether or not Casey is trolling when he says stuff like this. Unless the current offensive system shifts, Valanciunas has limited room to grow.
              Why would he be trolling? Hasn't JV's usage gone up every year his been in the league.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Why would he be trolling? Hasn't JV's usage gone up every year his been in the league.
                Only marginally. Not as much as it should. It is definitely worth a try to up it significantly this year and see what happens.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                  Only marginally. Not as much as it should. It is definitely worth a try to up it significantly this year and see what happens.
                  What should it be? Dont bigs take longer to develop. Who are we to know the best possible trajectory of usage. Were not in training camp or practise. I'm sure the coaching staff has a good reason for taking the slow and steady way with JV.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

What should it be? Dont bigs take longer to develop. Who are we to know the best possible trajectory of usage. Were not in training camp or practise. I'm sure the coaching staff has a good reason for taking the slow and steady way with JV.
                    He's a good player and I think we can all agree that he's been underused especially over the last two years. How many times have we seen him have amazing first halves and even first quarters before being looked off of and not even playing in the second half of of these games. He gets to 10-20 points in the first have sometimes and finishes with nearly the same numbers. Something wrong there.

Comment

He's a good player and I think we can all agree that he's been underused especially over the last two years. How many times have we seen him have amazing first halves and even first quarters before being looked off of and not even playing in the second half of of these games. He gets to 10-20 points in the first have sometimes and finishes with nearly the same numbers. Something wrong there.
                      Most of the reasons he would sit and not finish games would of been because of defence. To his credit he's gotten better year to year on that side. Which has the most to do with gaining experience.

The looking off thing has more to do with the players themselves. We dont have a lot exceptional passers on this team in the PnR situation. JV has got to earn thier respects also. Which I think he did this year.

JV usage increase might not be at the pace that you and some here would want it. It is where the Raptors want it. They want JV to be successful just as much as you do.

They say it takes 5 years or so for bigs and JV is right in that range now. I except him to be an All-Stars this year.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Most of the reasons he would sit and not finish games would of been because of defence. To his credit he's gotten better year to year on that side. Which has the most to do with gaining experience.

The looking off thing has more to do with the players themselves. We dont have a lot exceptional passers on this team in the PnR situation. JV has got to earn thier respects also. Which I think he did this year.

JV usage increase might not be at the pace that you and some here would want it. It is where the Raptors want it. They want JV to be successful just as much as you do.

They say it takes 5 years or so for bigs and JV is right in that range now. I except him to be an All-Stars this year.
                        This is a false narrative. Lowry and DeRozan run the bulk of the PnR's down the stretch of games and are fully capable of passing. If Casey made it a priority to get JV more involved, it would happen. But he hasn't, which is why when I hear Casey talking about how JV can take another step, I'm skeptical as to how he plans to incorporate him when he's resisted doing so in favour of any other available option. As for earning their respect, I call BS on that too. Scola didn't have to earn their respect; he was woeful on both sides of the ball, yet his touches in the PnR and in general never vanished.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Where can I find the whole interview?
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

That's fair enough but JV was also taken out to go small and "match" the opponent when the best option was to punish them with size and have JV in the game. It's mostly the strong halves followed by non existent halves that are the most frustrating.

Comment

This is a false narrative. Lowry and DeRozan run the bulk of the PnR's down the stretch of games and are fully capable of passing. If Casey made it a priority to get JV more involved, it would happen. But he hasn't, which is why when I hear Casey talking about how JV can take another step, I'm skeptical as to how he plans to incorporate him when he's resisted doing so in favour of any other available option. As for earning their respect, I call BS on that too. Scola didn't have to earn their respect; he was woeful on both sides of the ball, yet his touches in the PnR and in general never vanished.
                              Both K-Low/Deebo are capable passers but, which are they more comfortable doing?

I don't know the numbers but, did we really go to Scola that much out the PnR? Scola has like a decade of earned respect from his peers.

JV is earning more respect from his peers every year. The guy is 24 no need to rush development. I've said it before winning in this league is not easy. Developing young players and winning is almost impossible.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

That's fair enough but JV was also taken out to go small and "match" the opponent when the best option was to punish them with size and have JV in the game. It's mostly the strong halves followed by non existent halves that are the most frustrating.
                                Casey is about D first. His first thought is "how am I going to stop this". If JV keeps making improvements defensively than that wont be an issue.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X