No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas' conditioning was really good last season... He usually looked sluggish after 12min quarters, but that didn't happen last year.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
      8 minutes per quarter, open and close each half. 32 mpg.

By my eye, most big guys don't do too well when you leave them in for longer than 8 straight minutes. Casey has a bad habit of doing this to them, though.
      Yeah, I'm with you. Although if it came down to it, you could make it a couple 9 minute stretches without completely killing him. I think that's the window, 32 to 36 minutes, depending on the game, with it averaging out somewhere around 33-34. Until Sully comes back and we can scale it back to 30 (or, if he's doing fine, keeping it high and cutting the backup C out of the rotation if that's a weak point).
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
        8 minutes per quarter, open and close each half. 32 mpg.

By my eye, most big guys don't do too well when you leave them in for longer than 8 straight minutes. Casey has a bad habit of doing this to them, though.
        We all know that JV won't be on the floor to close out games when the other team goes small.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          We all know that JV won't be on the floor to close out games when the other team goes small.
          I don't think we know that anymore. JV averaged 2.7 clutch minutes (final 5 minutes, score within 5 points) per game in 31 games where there were clutch minutes to be played. Biz only 1.8 per game (in 35 games), and that would be skewed up by the games JV missed due to injury. And we don't even have Biz anymore.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            I don't think we know that anymore. JV averaged 2.7 clutch minutes (final 5 minutes, score within 5 points) per game in 31 games where there were clutch minutes to be played. Biz only 1.8 per game (in 35 games), and that would be skewed up by the games JV missed due to injury. And we don't even have Biz anymore.
            JV gets his 28 to 30 minutes this year ... for me the only thing precluding that would be his conditioning...

Lots of chatter about JV not being in the best of shape .... hope we don't see him sucking the air out of the roof of the ACC at the half ...
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Right now JV is the only guy who can really raise the ceiling of this team. There are 2 ways for him to do it:

1.) Elevating his game to star caliber
              2.) Being included in a trade for a superstar

Comment

• twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah but...

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                    Yeah but...

But that's good! Soon is good!
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you. Although if it came down to it, you could make it a couple 9 minute stretches without completely killing him. I think that's the window, 32 to 36 minutes, depending on the game, with it averaging out somewhere around 33-34. Until Sully comes back and we can scale it back to 30 (or, if he's doing fine, keeping it high and cutting the backup C out of the rotation if that's a weak point).
                      I agree he ends up playing low/mid 30s, wonder how much of that he plays without DD or Lowry. Casey liked to have KL or DD on most of the game (and rightfully so) but with the depth at guard positions and few proven bigs, I could see JV getting some run with bench units.

Comment

• Maybe this will be a Wally Pipp kind of moment without the Wally Pipp. Like all other options are gone so the momentum helps JV even when Sully returns.

Or maybe Carroll starts playing the five just for the comedic value.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                          Right now JV is the only guy who can really raise the ceiling of this team. There are 2 ways for him to do it:

1.) Elevating his game to star caliber
                          2.) Being included in a trade for a superstar
                          This. If I had to put my money on it. It would #2. I think JV has all-star potential but, not star potential. Hope he proves me wrong.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• There is a pretty big leap from 'star' to 'superstar'.. considering there are maybe 5 or 6 super stars in the league (and 2 of them play on the same team).

JV will never be a super star.. heck Lowry isn't even one.

JV can be an all-star.. but there are a lot of politics involved in that too. Kobe was an all-star last year, and his numbers were atrocious. And really it always come down to injuries anyway as the usual suspects always make the all-star team. It's even harder without a 'C' position. JV is a top 50 player though, and that's not debatable. So in that sense, he's already a 'star'.

JV just needs to be JV and we'll do alright.

As for trading JV.. that's tough. Because you'll create a huge giant whole if you trade him for a guy who can't play center. Cousins is the only guy that makes some sense, but as discussed by others in the Cousins thread he's not really that great. Lots of flaws in his game and would really disrupt the synergy on the court with what KL/DD do.

I'd rather trade Powell over JV to get another 'star'. It's easier to find a guard/wing to replace Powell than it would a center to replace JV in this league.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              There is a pretty big leap from 'star' to 'superstar'.. considering there are maybe 5 or 6 super stars in the league (and 2 of them play on the same team).

JV will never be a super star.. heck Lowry isn't even one.

JV can be an all-star.. but there are a lot of politics involved in that too. Kobe was an all-star last year, and his numbers were atrocious. And really it always come down to injuries anyway as the usual suspects always make the all-star team. It's even harder without a 'C' position. JV is a top 50 player though, and that's not debatable. So in that sense, he's already a 'star'.

JV just needs to be JV and we'll do alright.

As for trading JV.. that's tough. Because you'll create a huge giant whole if you trade him for a guy who can't play center. Cousins is the only guy that makes some sense, but as discussed by others in the Cousins thread he's not really that great. Lots of flaws in his game and would really disrupt the synergy on the court with what KL/DD do.

I'd rather trade Powell over JV to get another 'star'. It's easier to find a guard/wing to replace Powell than it would a center to replace JV in this league.
                              Well of course we'd rather trade Powell than JV to get another star, but Powell's value isn't even close to what Jonas' is. In all likelihood if a star becomes available, JV is going to have to be included in order to make a competitive offer.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                                Well of course we'd rather trade Powell than JV to get another star, but Powell's value isn't even close to what Jonas' is. In all likelihood if a star becomes available, JV is going to have to be included in order to make a competitive offer.
                                But JV is already a star. Or do you not agree?

Comment

Working...
                                X