Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Although by that argument Masai also gave a big extension to JV.
    I would love to know what Masai must have said to JV in getting him to sign that extension.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
      I really think we have to trade JV in order to progress.

It's not that he's not good etc but we just don't and won't use him CONSISTENTLY so it's just a big waste of time and money. When we focus on using him there is no comparison between him and Bebe or Poeltl etc but for the most part we don't use him a lot and he is reduced to being a garbageman picking up rebounds or rim running on PnRs which for those 2 things, there isn't a substantial difference by having another C do, Bebe and Poeltl seem to do fine.

I think that's why there is interest in Noel because realistically we're not making our C a focal point on the offence we just want one that sets good screens and rolls hard to the basket, something Noel can do in spades with his freakish athleticism. On the otherside of the court he's leaps and bounds above anyone we have and has exactly the kind of speed to defend and athleticism to defend both the perimeter and the post which is a Casey wet dream.

Then JV becomes a trade chip for the actual PF we desire and that would be one that can nail a jumper from the mid range and out to the 3 pt line and also he has the ability to pass. Masai was hoping to trim down Sully into that type of player but given his injury that will not happen, not this year at least. Problem is there aren't many PFs that fit this description other than an old Milsap who certainly isn't worth JV in a trade and ATL would have no desire to either with Howard.

I don't think JV gets traded this year but I could see Masai waiting until Delon returns, Norm gets more comfortable and Noel gets closer to returning, trading CoJo for Noel once the team's health can handle the back up PG position. Then when the off season comes JV + picks could offer a world of different opportunities...
      +1

By that time we'd have a jv vs noel sample. Resign noel to trade him or trade jv.
      Just read on rotowire that noel showed up for training camp, got treatment for a groin pull and then elected to get a "10 minute surgery". Then made statements in the sixers preseason media day news conference that one of the centers needs to get traded.
      Doesn't sound to me like he was really hurt. Sounds like he was forced to play pf last year, camp to camp, saw Embiid is ready and said I gotta get minutes to get paid.
      Not the best way to handle things but hes got cause to be upset.
      Point is that I'm not so deterred by his injuries.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
        +1

By that time we'd have a jv vs noel sample. Resign noel to trade him or trade jv.
        Just read on rotowire that noel showed up for training camp, got treatment for a groin pull and then elected to get a "10 minute surgery". Then made statements in the sixers preseason media day news conference that one of the centers needs to get traded.
        Doesn't sound to me like he was really hurt. Sounds like he was forced to play pf last year, camp to camp, saw Embiid is ready and said I gotta get minutes to get paid.
        Not the best way to handle things but hes got cause to be upset.
        Point is that I'm not so deterred by his injuries.
        you seem to overlook absolutely every problem with noel. what is your obsession? he's not even very good.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
          Yes, and MU wants JV to be in this team. It is just MU, DD, KL and Casey do not look at Big Val as BIG as STAR that fans here look at.

He is the 3rd or 4th best option on the offence in this team and is not one of the leaders. At his price tag and what he brings to the table, I would , just like MU, keep him as long as I can.
          17 million dollars a year gets u 4th option and not a leader, a bit part. How do I join the nbapa?
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
            you seem to overlook absolutely every problem with noel. what is your obsession? he's not even very good.
            Yeah, I'm sorry my comments have spread into the Sully thread, amongst others.
            I've been targeting noel for a yr now bc of the Philly logjam and I loved him at UK.
            I'm not overlooking that he's a very limited offensive player, injury history or character defects. I'm a huge fan of strong defensive players that have a lot of intensity like norm. I'm also a huge fan of buying low on depressed assets if the price is cheap, especially for a capped team that is outclassed but more talented contenders. He was 3rd in rookie voting and supposed to be the consensus #1 pick. Avg close to 2 assists, blocks and steals as a rookie center is very good and could help the raps. Last yr was kind of a write off playing out of position. He's excellent at lobs and that is a passing strength for our guards. Our wings benefit from bigs that can pass to back door cuts out of the high post and kick outs to the perimeter from the low post. Noel is good at these things but is turnover prone. Jv is not so good at these things. Noels major weakness is low post scoring (jvs strength) but it seems the raps don't want to play this way.
            Perhaps he is not the best fit but we have a rental test and I think he can be resigned and recoup better assets later.
            Perhaps someone else will become available and then that will be my new obsession.
            Why dont you like him? What do you think the raps should do?

Comment

I've been targeting noel for a yr now bc of the Philly logjam and I loved him at UK.
              I'm not overlooking that he's a very limited offensive player, injury history or character defects. I'm a huge fan of strong defensive players that have a lot of intensity like norm. I'm also a huge fan of buying low on depressed assets if the price is cheap, especially for a capped team that is outclassed but more talented contenders. He was 3rd in rookie voting and supposed to be the consensus #1 pick. Avg close to 2 assists, blocks and steals as a rookie center is very good and could help the raps. Last yr was kind of a write off playing out of position. He's excellent at lobs and that is a passing strength for our guards. Our wings benefit from bigs that can pass to back door cuts out of the high post and kick outs to the perimeter from the low post. Noel is good at these things but is turnover prone. Jv is not so good at these things. Noels major weakness is low post scoring (jvs strength) but it seems the raps don't want to play this way.
              Perhaps he is not the best fit but we have a rental test and I think he can be resigned and recoup better assets later.
              Perhaps someone else will become available and then that will be my new obsession.
              Last year Noel took 115 mid-range shots and made 28. That 24.3%. 180 Players took 100+ mid-range shots last year. Only 1 (Randle) shot worse than Noel. Not a guy who's going to open up the paint for our guards.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Last year Noel took 115 mid-range shots and made 28. That 24.3%. 180 Players took 100+ mid-range shots last year. Only 1 (Randle) shot worse than Noel. Not a guy who's going to open up the paint for our guards.
                Yeah, sorry, can't shoot either. We'd still need a stretch 4.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  17 million dollars a year gets u 4th option and not a leader, a bit part. How do I join the nbapa?
                  Yes, That price sound right for the 4th option. I am sure if DC was playing like advertised and when he was at Atlanta, he would have been the legitimate 3rd option on the offence with his long 3s.

Big Val has other responsibilites in this team and the sooner he realizes and focuses on those, the better it is for him and his fans.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, can't shoot either. We'd still need a stretch 4.
                    I think a big SF would suffice

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                      I think a big SF would suffice
                      Defense seems our biggest struggle

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        I missed rebounding and post defense as well

Comment

Defense seems our biggest struggle
                          Noel isn't a 4 at all and we've got an abundance of centers. I don't think it would work out.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                            Noel isn't a 4 at all and we've got an abundance of centers. I don't think it would work out.
                            Atm siakam and bebe are closing games for us so I'm not so sure about that

Comment

noel is a worse version of biyombo, and biyombo, for all his praise, wouldn't be as effective if he was forced to start every game. teams can and will exploit the fact that you're playing 4 on 5 on O.

You said: "our guards benefit from a big that can pass out of the high post", based on what? how often do we give our bigs the ball in the high post? I dont watch a lot of noel but i haven't seen evidence that he's any better at passing from there than JV is.

Lob passes, or really passes to bigs in general, are absolutely not a strength of our guards, btw.

I have an opposing viewpoint to you, I like defensive players but not defense-only players. Noel is so extraordinarly limited offensively that teams will sag off him from anywhere outside 8 feet, and our guards will not penetrate. With our poor shooting from 3, it'd be a terrible offensive situation.
                              Last edited by KHD; Fri Nov 18, 2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• just my 2cents: trade jv for a pf - let poeltl, bebe & sully play at 5. it's so easy...

Comment

Working...
                                X