Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    It doesn't even have to he that drastic. You're taking away like 15 pts. I think their per 36 could essentially stay the same, take 3 or 4 minutes off each per game, go with a cojo-powell-ross-2pat-jv look, theres a ton of options there. Do it late 3rd early 4th and it would certainly help give both guys an extra burst of energy late for both offense and defense
    Honestly just take away a few the bad contested shots they take, give those FGA to JV and you'll get a few extra points and Lowry's and DD's efficiency will be better.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      Honestly just take away a few the bad contested shots they take, give those FGA to JV and you'll get a few extra points and Lowry's and DD's efficiency will be better.
      But our offense is fine we don't need any more points. Points are overrated. It's points against that are properly rated.

Am I doing it right?
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• To weigh in on using JV to the best of his skill set, defensively we did that last year under Greer but without Greer at the defensive helm, Casey has reverted back to a system that works best with a C like Tyson Chandler or Biyombo, neither of which play here now or even during most of Casey's reign.

If Casey wants to lean heavily on Demar and Kyle for the offence with JV being an underused highly efficient tertiary option, then that is at least defendable while DD and Kyle play well enough. But defensively, the system has never really played to the strengths of the individuals on the roster as much as Casey's idealistic preferences. That is a problem in my books.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Agreed. And as I outlined earlier, comparable offensive talents are very rare.
          Talent isn't the word I should've used, maybe production or impact. Because in JV's role that level of production actually isn't that rare, despite his talent.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            To weigh in on using JV to the best of his skill set, defensively we did that last year under Greer but without Greer at the defensive helm, Casey has reverted back to a system that works best with a C like Tyson Chandler or Biyombo, neither of which play here now or even during most of Casey's reign.

If Casey wants to lean heavily on Demar and Kyle for the offence with JV being an underused highly efficient tertiary option, then that is at least defendable while DD and Kyle play well enough. But defensively, the system has never really played to the strengths of the individuals on the roster as much as Casey's idealistic preferences. That is a problem in my books.
            This is just the eye test obviously but I haven't really seen any sort of significant difference in our system from this year to last.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
              This is just the eye test obviously but I haven't really seen any sort of significant difference in our system from this year to last.
              Our pick and roll defence has seemed much more aggressive with bigs hedging this year than last year which concerns me with the slippery slope towards the famed "scramble" defence.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Our pick and roll defence has seemed much more aggressive with bigs hedging this year than last year which concerns me with the slippery slope towards the famed "scramble" defence.
                I don't really think we're actually trying to hedge more than normal, it's just not working as well due to personnel changes and a lack of experience in the frontcourt outside of 2Pat/JV.

Comment

Yep, we are very obviously not icing screens as much and again asking our bigs to come out and hedge more often. I see a big difference so far considering there's no reason we should be seeing any difference.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Yep, we are very obviously not icing screens as much and again asking our bigs to come out and hedge more often. I see a big difference so far considering there's no reason we should be seeing any difference.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                    Agreed. Huge drop off in ICE usage.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I don't really think we're actually trying to hedge more than normal, it's just not working as well due to personnel changes and a lack of experience in the frontcourt outside of 2Pat/JV.
                      It was one of my concerns entering the season since Greer left, so I've been keeping an eye out for it. So while it may not be as obvious as previous years, if you look for it you can clearly see a difference from last year.

Comment

• I can't say enough that I think we need to trade Val to upgrade either the PF or SF position to an all-star level player. We'll be much better served on how we actually run our offence and I simply don't see Kyle n DeMar using JV consistently, each and every night, game in n game out to make full use of him.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Obviously Greer had a solid voice in Casey's ear last year that is missing from our bench staff. Perhaps it's just the lack of defined defensive coach role or perhaps it's the personnel. Either way, concerning so far in our small sample of season.

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                            Would you prefer Demar and Kyle scoring 30 and 23 a night and giving little effort on D or Demar scoring 20-22 and Kyle 16-18 while being more active and effective on D? Guys like JV could pick up the offensive slack and this should also help the D.
                            Exactly this. As great as demar is playing offensively his usg is insane. It would make more sense to take some of that energy expended on the offensive end and put it into the defense. Not to mention involving other guys would probably result in the side benefit of having them more engaged in the game overall (including defense). If we have an option on offense who's shown that he's capable of producing efficient offense what reason is there to not use him more?

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                              Exactly this. As great as demar is playing offensively his usg is insane. It would make more sense to take some of that energy expended on the offensive end and put it into the defense. Not to mention involving other guys would probably result in the side benefit of having them more engaged in the game overall (including defense). If we have an option on offense who's shown that he's capable of producing efficient offense what reason is there to not use him more?
                              I feel like this is so pointless to even debate because Casey and/or Kyle and DD simply will never use JV with 100% consistency. They treat JV as much a scoring option as Ross when they need to involve him just as much as KLow n DD but those guys simply don't trust or respect his game enough. Raps need to move him for a player that has already earned a reputation as an all-star in this league. The argument for using JV more is beating a dead horse.

Comment

Talent isn't the word I should've used, maybe production or impact. Because in JV's role that level of production actually isn't that rare, despite his talent.
                                Production then. JV produces 14.4 PPG and 9.9 RPG.

There are 8 players in the league currently producing at that level (14+ PPG, 9.5+ RPG).

Now, on this team we need JV's replacement to be able to produce like that on moderate usage. But every other player on that list of 8 has a usage rate of at least 22% (JV's is 19%). Only Andre Drummond and Dwight Howard are below 25%.

OK, but that's not that rare, to be the only player in the league producing points and rebounds at that rate and with such a low usage. In any case, you just meant the scoring, because the new low usage defensive C will rebound as well as JV does, so we can handle having a lower rebounding scoring option at PF.

First off, let's find all the C's who can rebound pretty close to the rate JV does. JV has posted an OREB% of 12% and a DREB% of 26% this year. Let's walk back a bit and say 10% OREB% and 25% DREB%.

16 other qualified players this year. That's one for every other team. I'm sure there will be no problem finding a defence first stopper that will be available on this list:

Gobert, Whiteside, Howard, Jordan, Love, Gortat, Thompson, Capela, Drummond, Monroe, Black, Biyombo, Noah, Asik, Dedmon, Vucevic.

OK, so let's say we get one of those guys and they are the stopper we always dreamed of and can give us the rebounding too.

That leaves us free to chase the high efficiency offensive producer at the 4 that we need to replace JV's offensive production.

Let's see, high efficiency, right we need that to be able to produce the points with the lower usage. So, JV's TS% is 62.7% this season. So let's find guys who post 14 PPG on 60%+ TS%.

Chris Paul, Jimmy Butler, Harden, Durant, Curry, Conley, Lillard, Porzingis, Redick, Lou Williams, Myles Turner, Nick Young, Brook Lopez and Joel Embiid.

Notice how there are two PF's in the entire list (Turner and Porzingis) both of whom I'm sure are very available.

Could you outline for me who you meant when you say his production isn't that rare? I'm having a hard time finding said common producers even when I focus on only a couple areas of JV's production.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X