Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupe wrote: View Post
    But this is what I've said? I'd like to acquire Noel as a backup and possibly trade JV also but only if we can acquire the level of PF we want in exchange. At least unlike Biyombo or Sullinger we'd have control over whether we can keep him or not without shipping out other players, and he's still very young with a lot of upside.
    But we do have to ship out players to get Noel. Most likely CoJo at a minimum. And if we do want to keep Noel, there goes our luxury tax and most likely repeater status since Lowry is going to get a big paycheck. Which also probably means we lose 2Pat (and our best PF) due to budget reasons. I'd rather have 2Pat over Noel going into next season.

And if we want to just look at this season.. there is no room for him, Sully and JV. Besides we still have to give minutes to Poeltl and I'm assuming Bebe will still be around. 5 centers on a 15 man roster? He's not a need at this time frankly. At least Sully can play some PF unlike Noel. I'd rather get a 3/4 hybrid type of player. That gives our roster more flexibility. Like a Wilson Chandler.

Comment

• Something I might consider would be a Capela/Ariza for JV deal (if it was ever on the table). Ariza can play small ball 4 and is the type of 3/4 hybrid that I'd be looking at. Capela can be that shot blocking center that's good at catching lobs.

Capela has one more year after this on his rookie contract.. and Ariza has one more year after this one on his tiny sub $8M deal. So neither would would affect our cap too much this year or next. Would have to include VanVleet for Ennis as well to get the $$$ to work.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        But we do have to ship out players to get Noel. Most likely CoJo at a minimum. And if we do want to keep Noel, there goes our luxury tax and most likely repeater status since Lowry is going to get a big paycheck. Which also probably means we lose 2Pat (and our best PF) due to budget reasons. I'd rather have 2Pat over Noel going into next season.

And if we want to just look at this season.. there is no room for him, Sully and JV. Besides we still have to give minutes to Poeltl and I'm assuming Bebe will still be around. 5 centers on a 15 man roster? He's not a need at this time frankly. At least Sully can play some PF unlike Noel. I'd rather get a 3/4 hybrid type of player. That gives our roster more flexibility. Like a Wilson Chandler.
        Noel isn't just something that was pulled out of thin air, it's something the team actually looked at. Very reputable reporters reported it including Zach Lowe going back as far as last year in a potential Terrence Ross trade.

Comment

Noel isn't just something that was pulled out of thin air, it's something the team actually looked at. Very reputable reporters reported it including Zach Lowe going back as far as last year in a potential Terrence Ross trade.
          Yes I remember those talks and the rumours. But times have changed. I'd rather have Ross over Noels. Ross is killing it off the bench this year.

Comment

Something I might consider would be a Capela/Ariza for JV deal (if it was ever on the table). Ariza can play small ball 4 and is the type of 3/4 hybrid that I'd be looking at. Capela can be that shot blocking center that's good at catching lobs.

Capela has one more year after this on his rookie contract.. and Ariza has one more year after this one on his tiny sub $8M deal. So neither would would affect our cap too much this year or next. Would have to include VanVleet for Ennis as well to get the $$$ to work.
            Seems like a pretty lateral move at best and a waste of JV as a trade chip. Ariza is getting old and really doesn't have much impact on the game and Capella is basically Biz 2.0. So we use our best trade chip for a rotation SF and Biz replacement?! Yeah no thanks.

Comment

Not sure why you added the 10 FGA to your filter. You're trying to make it way too specific to make a point. You disqualified someone like Ersan Ilyasova by doing that (who takes 9.4). I just said ~10. That could be 7, 8 or 9 (hell I used the example of Zeller and he takes 7). Just around there. It doesn't need to be some hard and fast statistical definition.
              Yeah...

https://vine.co/v/5tLMi7TeqAX
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I'm not really seeing an issue.

Comment

"Improving" is beating Lebron, GSW, San Antonio and probably LAC. It's not easy.. not even with a guy like Cousins. Just as an example, this is Paul's 6th year in LAC now.. and they as a team have yet to get to the WCF.

Can improve in a lot of ways without having to trade JV even if has great trade value. Raptors have 3 picks in the 2017 draft.. maybe one or two of the emerge as once in a lifetime picks like Manu was for San Antonio, Green was for GSW or Butler was for Chicago. Or maybe Ross is the better trade chip because most teams already have a starting caliber center on their team and would want an efficient 3&D player that costs only $10M a year and is locked in.

I'm okay with a little patience. This franchise deserves continuous stability. Last thing I want is an attempt at a homerun only to strikeout and have to pay the penance for 3-5 years. Eventually Lebron will be out of the league, or be too old that he won't be as impactful. If we can get a blue chip star that can elevate us past Lebron then sure, but I don't think Cousins will do that. He'll create more problems than he will solve in my opinion (assuming Sacramento even lets him go).
                  If this is what we want and we are afraid of taking the next step with the Core of KL and DD, then you are right. We should not trade JV.

I highly doubt it if teams value Ross more than JV or in trade market Ross brings back. Plus, why bother if we are not really serious about challenging Lebron and the Cavs ...

I actually think MU has the same idea with you. He will not make any more. He is happy about wining about 50 game a season and going to 2nd round or East finals.

This is why I don't think there will be any major moves.

Comment

• JV pet peeve - when he is posting up smaller players (like Capella) and his final move is a fade away J. Hate that. I'd like to see his final move be hard to the rim against smaller guys, score or force a foul. Fade aways are for shooting over bigger defenders.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                      If this is what we want and we are afraid of taking the next step with the Core of KL and DD, then you are right. We should not trade JV.

I highly doubt it if teams value Ross more than JV or in trade market Ross brings back. Plus, why bother if we are not really serious about challenging Lebron and the Cavs ...

I actually think MU has the same idea with you. He will not make any more. He is happy about wining about 50 game a season and going to 2nd round or East finals.

This is why I don't think there will be any major moves.
                      Tend to agree with this. Despite all the discussion -- if I were GM I might be a bit more aggressive but I can't complain about what Masai has done so far and he knows WAY more about what's really going on with this roster, so I'm not overly concerned -- I don't really believe they'll make any big moves this year. A lot will depend on how Sullinger comes back. Part of me thinks he may not ever suit up in Toronto (fat man, bad feet...). If that turns out to be the case, and the Raps are still in the hunt when it becomes obvious, that's when I think MU could take a swing at a guy like Noel to finish the season. Maybe it's Cojo going back, but maybe not; will depend on how desperate Philly gets as time goes on and they can't keep 3 good young Cs happy. Personally, if I were them, I'd be pushing Okafor out the door before Noel, but that's just me.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                        Tend to agree with this. Despite all the discussion -- if I were GM I might be a bit more aggressive but I can't complain about what Masai has done so far and he knows WAY more about what's really going on with this roster, so I'm not overly concerned -- I don't really believe they'll make any big moves this year. A lot will depend on how Sullinger comes back. Part of me thinks he may not ever suit up in Toronto (fat man, bad feet...). If that turns out to be the case, and the Raps are still in the hunt when it becomes obvious, that's when I think MU could take a swing at a guy like Noel to finish the season. Maybe it's Cojo going back, but maybe not; will depend on how desperate Philly gets as time goes on and they can't keep 3 good young Cs happy. Personally, if I were them, I'd be pushing Okafor out the door before Noel, but that's just me.
                        Now I want him to come back just so we can call our power forward combo pat man and fat man
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          JV pet peeve - when he is posting up smaller players (like Capella) and his final move is a fade away J. Hate that. I'd like to see his final move be hard to the rim against smaller guys, score or force a foul. Fade aways are for shooting over bigger defenders.
                          Agreed. Like 90% of his post ups should be backing right down into the paint and trying to get a hook shot up. I like the fade as a counter, but it needs to be used a little less (at least until you establish the hook and the defence plays you to take it away).
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm not really seeing an issue.
                            In basketball, we call it a flop and a pretty bad one at that. He flopped so hard last night that he flew into a teammate. Thats funny shit right there.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              In basketball, we call it a flop and a pretty bad one at that. He flopped so hard last night that he flew into a teammate. Thats funny shit right there.
                              That was an awful one. Lowry had a pretty bad one last night, although he was actually hit and accentuated it so itd actually get called. He oversold tho. Kinda did the d lo brown head bob too many times, for my 90s wrestling fans
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Agreed. Like 90% of his post ups should be backing right down into the paint and trying to get a hook shot up. I like the fade as a counter, but it needs to be used a little less (at least until you establish the hook and the defence plays you to take it away).
                                I like to see JV make those decisions much more quickly. What ends up happening most of the times, he establishes a position late (defender is already there pushing him farther off the paint) then asks for the ball. JV then gets the ball and he can't back up far enough to push the defender so he waste's 5 seconds off the clock figuring it out (meanwhile a 2nd defender joins the original defender for help which often makes things more difficult) so JV ends up kicking it back or does his away from the basket fade away which most of the times don't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X