Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Why does it have to be a lesser player?

Imagine Lowry/DeRozan running PNRs with a Myles Turner (for example) instead of Jonas.
    Tuner has he same weakness as JV. Pick and roll defense.
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

You're right, he did have a strong opening night.

I'm not knocking Jonas. He's a solid player, who is still relatively young. He'll be a great player one day, but I'm convinced it won't be in Toronto. His skills aren't best utilized within a DeRozan/Lowry playbook.
      I'm in agreement. Supplement what you lose offensively by getting a defensive minded C by getting a better 4 and playing Norm at the 3 consistently.

Comment

• Pacers would never trade Turner for JV. He's 4 years younger and is already arguably better.

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
          Pacers would never trade Turner for JV. He's 4 years younger and is already arguably better.
          He's a bit more athletic, but better? Don't think so personally. If JV didn't have any offensive game he basically would be Turner.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            He's a bit more athletic, but better? Don't think so personally. If JV didn't have any offensive game he basically would be Turner.
            Turner has a much better mid-range game than JV and is 4th in the league in blocks with 2.3 per game. JV is however a better post scorer and rebounder.

Comment

I'd say Turner's a lot more athletic than Jonas, who needs the entire length of the court before reaching top speed, lol.

But I mentioned Turner only as an example that ridding ourselves of Jonas, doesn't necessarily mean we take a step back. Jonas has a lot of value around the league, is young, and on a friendly contract. If traded, the assumption is a solid player (who happens to fit better in Casey's system) is obtained.

Comment

I'd say Turner's a lot more athletic than Jonas, who needs the entire length of the court before reaching top speed, lol.

But I mentioned Turner only as an example that ridding ourselves of Jonas, doesn't necessarily mean we take a step back. Jonas has a lot of value around the league, is young, and on a friendly contract. If traded, the assumption is a solid player (who happens to fit better in Casey's system) is obtained.
                I agree that Turner is more athletic and would fit what our system is asking of our C. However you take away JV's game on offence and you have a similar version of Turner. Why not just keep JV and keep continuing to mould him into what we want in Turner. Is the up tick in athleticism with Turner really worth losing a reliable post threat that is a great post defender as well? We're not talking prime Tyson Chandler when we speak of Turner are we?

Comment

I agree that Turner is more athletic and would fit what our system is asking of our C. However you take away JV's game on offence and you have a similar version of Turner. Why not just keep JV and keep continuing to mould him into what we want in Turner. Is the up tick in athleticism with Turner really worth losing a reliable post threat that is a great post defender as well? We're not talking prime Tyson Chandler when we speak of Turner are we?
                  JV isn't a "great post defender".
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

You are really down playing Turner's offensive ability. He's not as good as JV in post scoring but his mid-range is miles better than JV. He would be the perfect pick and pop big. He is also a much better help defender and while his post defense isn't as good as JV there are not a lot of teams that run just straight post up plays anymore. Turner is only 20 years old and watching him play he has the potential to become a lamarcus aldridge type of player. All of this is mute though because the pacers would never trade him for JV.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                      JV isn't a "great post defender".
                      By what measure? He faces among the most post ups of anyone in the league, and keeps opponents below 0.7 PPP.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        By what measure? He faces among the most post ups of anyone in the league, and keeps opponents below 0.7 PPP.
                        Eye test. He gets worked in the post. He's not a great defender by any stretch. If we want to value JV for his offense, we have to admit his flaws on defense.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                          Eye test. He gets worked in the post. He's not a great defender by any stretch. If we want to value JV for his offense, we have to admit his flaws on defense.
                          His flaws on defense are exposed because of his lack of speed on pick and roll defense and help defense. His advantage is his strength which is good for guarding one on one post situations.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Are we worried about vuc and nurkic? I think we should be worried about deandre, LMA, draymond, tt, Blake, lebron, love. Those are our rivals. Couldn't we just live with Sully vs nurkic twice a yr? The league's only trending more toward giles types next yr and into the future.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Talent trumps all. Finding a lesser player to fit the "derozan/lowry playbook" is too shortsighted. There's a very small handful of players that you build your whole roster around accommodating them, at we don't have any of those players.
                              I disagree. A lesser player who is utilized to his strengths is a better fit than a talented player who isn't used effectively, but I wouldn't trade JV unless he is part of a packaged deal for a star player like Cousins or Millsap.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                                I disagree. A lesser player who is utilized to his strengths is a better fit than a talented player who isn't used effectively, but I wouldn't trade JV unless he is part of a packaged deal for a star player like Cousins or Millsap.
                                Well I basically said the same thing about 3 posts later lol
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X