No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would trade CoJo for Noel (next year's pick or worst of our 2 this year) let Norm take Corey's role, he basically does the same except he's a bigger, better defender. Then move JV for a better PF. JV just is too damn slow defensively n we can repeat ad nasuem about using him more offensively but that's never going to happen consistently.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
      I would trade CoJo for Noel (next year's pick or worst of our 2 this year) let Norm take Corey's role, he basically does the same except he's a bigger, better defender. Then move JV for a better PF. JV just is too damn slow defensively n we can repeat ad nasuem about using him more offensively but that's never going to happen consistently.
      Except Norm can't play PG. CoJo is the only guy outside of Kyle and DD (and Wright but is injured - FVV doesn't count) that can handle the ball. And Kyle likes to play off the ball to keep his energy up in the 2nd half.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Except Norm can't play PG. CoJo is the only guy outside of Kyle and DD (and Wright but is injured - FVV doesn't count) that can handle the ball. And Kyle likes to play off the ball to keep his energy up in the 2nd half.
        Weren't they experimenting with Norm playing PG in Mississauga?

If not, can always move Wright up in the rotation.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

Most likely a way to encourage him to develop his ballhandling/playmaking even at the 2-spot. I don't think they want to turn Norm into a PG. His skills in that department are fairly raw and not even great for a SG at the moment.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• wright is the answer at backup PG in the event Cojo were traded.

Comment

• I guess i'm a bit confused by the panic. The start of this bad stretch corresponds exactly to his injury against Philly. I'm not saying he's not playing badly but I'm willing to give a guy the benefit of the doubt, considering he's been playing ok up to that point and we've seen what he is capable of in the big moments last playoffs.

The larger issues are there, he doesn't fit the system, but that's nothing new and won't ever be resolved. I think it speaks well of him that he's never really made an issue of it. If you're going to trade him you better be damn certain it's really a good move, and that the new guy isn't going to have issues being outright ignored on most possessions.

Personally, I happen to think that our issues go beyond simply saying "we need a defence-first 5". I just don't think there are actually that many guys in the NBA who could take Derozan, Lowry, and a half-crocked Carroll and really make that excel on defence. Biyombo was presumably one, and even he wouldn't solve our issues with stretch 5s, while giving us a 4-on-5 offense for 30 minutes a game. I suspect even Marc Gasol would look substantially worse in our defence.
              Last edited by KHD; Thu Dec 8, 2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                I would trade CoJo for Noel (next year's pick or worst of our 2 this year) let Norm take Corey's role, he basically does the same except he's a bigger, better defender. Then move JV for a better PF. JV just is too damn slow defensively n we can repeat ad nasuem about using him more offensively but that's never going to happen consistently.
                +1. This has been my opinion since the Charlotte game.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

Yes.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Why doesn't fvv count? Hes small but he brings a very different look on offense than cory or delon. He's solid assist/TO, totally fine pg3.
                    We should also consider that cory is not guaranteed in his final yr. He has good value atm. It's an understandable mistake that we signed cory after drafting delon but it's bought some time to give delon run in the dleague.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                      Why doesn't fvv count? Hes small but he brings a very different look on offense than cory or delon. He's solid assist/TO, totally fine pg3.
                      We should also consider that cory is not guaranteed in his final yr. He has good value atm. It's an understandable mistake that we signed cory after drafting delon but it's bought some time to give delon run in the dleague.
                      Cory has a player option, not a non-guarantee.

FVV doesn't have a solid anything at the NBA level - he's played zero minutes of consequence there.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Cory has a player option, not a non-guarantee.

FVV doesn't have a solid anything at the NBA level - he's played zero minutes of consequence there.
                        I'm making an assumption that he doesn't pick up that option at 7 or 8m. You think he will?
                        I'm also making an assumption that delon can step into those mins and fvv can step into pg3 mins. You may not feel the same but I'd guess the raps do and that's why they made those moves. You seem confident they can play those roles if cory is dealt to bring back millsap but suddenly they're inadequate if the return is not millsap?

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          wright is the answer at backup PG in the event Cojo were traded.
                          Backup PGs are a dime a dozen nowadays. Nothing to really worry about there.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                            Backup PGs are a dime a dozen nowadays. Nothing to really worry about there.
                            Especially when you already have another one on the roster And I'm much more interested in Wright than Nelson and Augustine types.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                              I guess i'm a bit confused by the panic. The start of this bad stretch corresponds exactly to his injury against Philly. I'm not saying he's not playing badly but I'm willing to give a guy the benefit of the doubt, considering he's been playing ok up to that point and we've seen what he is capable of in the big moments last playoffs.

The larger issues are there, he doesn't fit the system, but that's nothing new and won't ever be resolved. I think it speaks well of him that he's never really made an issue of it. If you're going to trade him you better be damn certain it's really a good move, and that the new guy isn't going to have issues being outright ignored on most possessions.

Personally, I happen to think that our issues go beyond simply saying "we need a defence-first 5". I just don't think there are actually that many guys in the NBA who could take Derozan, Lowry, and a half-crocked Carroll and really make that excel on defence. Biyombo was presumably one, and even he wouldn't solve our issues with stretch 5s, while giving us a 4-on-5 offense for 30 minutes a game. I suspect even Marc Gasol would look substantially worse in our defence.
                              I wish we could get Marc w/o giving up JV, DD, KL.. I love Marc Gasol. He plays this game the right way.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                                I wish we could get Marc w/o giving up JV, DD, KL.. I love Marc Gasol. He plays this game the right way.
                                I love gasol's game as well. If i'm coaching Valanciunas i am having him watch tape of Gasol every night before bed, lol.

Gasol is a major cog in that defence, obviously. But my point was just that he also has complementary personnel around him (or rather he did, until they all got hurt).

Comment

Working...
                                X