Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Is wrote: View Post
    ... it was literally the exact same stat, man. And the responses pretty much pointed out the issues with using solely that stat on this particular topic. Only one poster stated that it was significant and shouldn't be ignored. THAT'S the reason why Demar was used for a comparison. In your case; you're a huge Demar fan. What better player to use in this case?

I wouldn't say that I'm a part of a JV fan club or anything but if you couldn't explain the why behind your reasoning; the deflection wasn't them ... the deflection was on you. You choose a specific stat because you saw that it made JV look bad. You don't have a response for the same state making Demar look worse because you didn't really consider that.

It wasn't a deflection or a change of the subject; it was usage of another player to highlight the flaw in using SOLELY that stat.

If you don't have a response to that; that's fine. Just make sure the excuse is better than "because Demar" or dismiss it on the basis of a "JV fan club." Because that is what screams deflection.

The reason for the difference is that the Lowry + Bench line is vicious mixed with lack of Patterson in the starting line up.
    Dude did you read the article?? They used the stat in the article and I simply quoted it in my post!

I didn't research any of the stats so stop trying to make it look like i'm going out of my way to burn JV. My eyes tell me that JV is having a hard time keeping up with the new pace and space NBA era where these Bigs are out there shooting 3s like crazy.

I have nothing personal against JV. I just want what's best for the Raptors.

You guys seem to have all the excuses. Now you're blaming his struggles on me. lol Or is it that you think JV's not struggling defensively?......

Real question: Do you think JV is having serious issues defensively out there? Can you answer the question without bringing up Demar?

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
      Dude did you read the article?? They used the stat in the article and I simply quoted it in my post!

I didn't research any of the stats so stop trying to make it look like i'm going out of my way to burn JV. My eyes tell me that JV is having a hard time keeping up with the new pace and space NBA era where these Bigs are out there shooting 3s like crazy.

I have nothing personal against JV. I just want what's best for the Raptors.

You guys seem to have all the excuses. Now you're blaming his struggles on me. lol Or is it that you think JV's not struggling defensively?......

Real question: Do you think JV is having serious issues defensively out there? Can you answer the question without bringing up Demar?
      ... how is anyone blaming you for anything? Seriously; I'm genuinely curious.

Additionally; if you're going to introduce a stat into a debate and conclusively say that it was a major issue that shouldn't be ignored ... you should be able to defend your position. Which it ... and this is going to sound like an attack so I'm going to apologize in advance for ... appears you either can't or won't.

Keep in mind: the reasoning behind the difference in on/off was already brought up in this same thread.

I'm starting to believe that it's not worth it to continue this dialog but to answer your question: no. He isn't having any serious issues defensively. He's slowed down since the foot injury but there was a good period of time early this season where he actually was the most positive defensively of the starting line up. Sticking Patterson into the starting line up solves a lot of issues.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Just Is; Mon Dec 12, 2016, 07:50 PM.
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
        ... how is anyone blaming you for anything? Seriously; I'm genuinely curious.

Additionally; if you're going to introduce a stat into a debate and conclusively say that it was a major issue that shouldn't be ignored ... you should be able to defend your position. Which it ... and this is going to sound like an attack so I'm going to apologize in advance for ... appears you either can't or won't.

Keep in mind: the reasoning behind the difference in on/off was already brought up in this same thread.

I'm starting to believe that it's not worth it to continue this dialog but to answer your question: no. He isn't having any serious issues defensively. He's slowed down since the foot injury but there was a good period of time early this season where he actually was the most positive defensively of the starting line up. Sticking Patterson into the starting line up solves a lot of issues.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
        The bolded - All I needed to read to see that we are not going to have a realistic discussion here.

Remember you are the one who brought yourself into the conversation......I didn't stick my flag to that stat....lol How silly are we becoming here? I'm speaking of the overall OBVIOUS defensive issue that is hurting JV and the team (#matchups).

You guys think you're so smart trying to pin me to a stat in an article that I said "shouldn't be ignored." Yea....."shouldn't be ignored" means that i have to defend it..... Are you for real??

Hope you got what you wanted out of this short conversation. Carry on.

Comment

• Team SlowAss Valanciunas:

Consider a trade to improve fit/talent.

Team Bonus Valanciunas:

Consider to start Pat, change the defense and the offense.

Team Bogus Valanciunas:

Consider that you're not Masai or Casey so stfu and enjoy the team.

Comment

• JV is going to be here this season. He is slow but he is doing enough for the money he is making for this year.

Comment

• We got a lot of back court guys tho and a little thin up front.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                We got a lot of back court guys tho and a little thin up front.
                JV won't go unless we got a star 5. Not noel. That's a lateral experimental move.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  JV won't go unless we got a star 5. Not noel. That's a lateral experimental move.
                  We would have both players in that scenario. That would show whether it's a lateral experiment or not. Then trade the lesser fit for higher value at a position of need. We do have a log jam, more so when delon returns.
                  I guess if it's lateral then you consider them equal "star" level?
                  Ftr I just said trade back to front. No names or trade jv. Guess this should be in trade chatter. I was talking about jv in the OP. I said consider a trade, not trade jv.

Comment

• Tonight I thought that JV looked a lot more engaged on both ends of the floor

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                      Tonight I thought that JV looked a lot more engaged on both ends of the floor
                      Yea, he was pretty animated in the first Q. I thought Casey kept him on the bench for too long, but can't really complain considering the run they were on.
                      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                        Team SlowAss Valanciunas:

Consider a trade to improve fit/talent.

Team Bonus Valanciunas:

Consider to start Pat, change the defense and the offense.

Team Bogus Valanciunas:

Consider that you're not Masai or Casey so stfu and enjoy the team.
                        #TeamBogus
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                          #TeamBogus
                          Thx. I'm parts of all 3. I'd consider stronger defenders behind demar and get jv more touches in the 2nd unit with guys that can play inside out and defend the perimeter. At the same time I recognize Masai is gonna likely be patient until the draft and Casey is old school rigid.
                          Anyway, it would be great if others expanded the definition of each team. I was hoping to synthesize the arguments a bit to cut down on the noise and animosity.

Comment

• I think one big reason why JV looked better last year than this is our defensive scheme change. Last year was more ICE and protecting the paint. We were one of the best defending 2 pointers, but got torched from 3. That worked for the most part and suited JV better, but as the Cleveland playoff series showed, when the primary ball handler is big and has the ability to fire bullet passes to the weak side ( Lebron) and then combined with a bunch of 3 pt threats that defence can get torched as the 3 20+ pt blowouts showed.

This year we seem to be focusing more on defending the perimeter, resulting in more blowby's, thus making JV look bad on occasion.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              I think one big reason why JV looked better last year than this is our defensive scheme change. Last year was more ICE and protecting the paint. We were one of the best defending 2 pointers, but got torched from 3. That worked for the most part and suited JV better, but as the Cleveland playoff series showed, when the primary ball handler is big and has the ability to fire bullet passes to the weak side ( Lebron) and then combined with a bunch of 3 pt threats that defence can get torched as the 3 20+ pt blowouts showed.

This year we seem to be focusing more on defending the perimeter, resulting in more blowby's, thus making JV look bad on occasion.
                              Kinda weird though, we've gone from allowing average attempts at a high percentage, to allowing a lot of attempts but at a below average percentage.

Not sure which is better. More 3PT attempts at a lower clip or less at a higher clip. Like are we forcing teams to take tough 3s or last year were we only letting them take the easy ones? Hard to say really.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                                Kinda weird though, we've gone from allowing average attempts at a high percentage, to allowing a lot of attempts but at a below average percentage.

Not sure which is better. More 3PT attempts at a lower clip or less at a higher clip. Like are we forcing teams to take tough 3s or last year were we only letting them take the easy ones? Hard to say really.
                                I'd prefer less at a higher clip. Prevents the shooters from the other team into getting into a rhythm.
                                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Working...
                                X