No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to say; I'm disappointed with his development. A lot of falls on the Raptors coaches too for trying to turn him into Hibbert2.0. I thought he'd be a much better player by now. That double dribble made me cringe.
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
      JV has cinder blocks for feet, please trade him.
      well, he can get faster by getting a FUCKING haircut. Easy stuff.

Comment

• At least they used okafor at 5. Jv can play post d ok. Embiid would have been horford blow bys again. Yak needs 30+ mins on 905. He's not ready.
        Desperate for bebe. Not a good sign.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
          Part of that stat comes from JV hedging and having to run back to contest a shot at the rim. Like I said, he isn't good at that.
          He rarely hedges
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            He rarely hedges
            But...but...there's that one clip of a single play that everyone has been focusing on for 3 days!
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
              But...but...there's that one clip of a single play that everyone has been focusing on for 3 days!
              Exactly.

I remember this board was all over Casey for constantly hedging JV a couple of years ago when we led the league in hedging.

2014-15

PPat 44.4% hedge (league leader)
              Amir 31.6%
              JV 1.7%
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Exactly.

I remember this board was all over Casey for constantly hedging JV a couple of years ago when we led the league in hedging.

2014-15

PPat 44.4% hedge (league leader)
                Amir 31.6%
                JV 1.7%
                Some people were all over Casey for implementing a hedge heavy defence JV couldn't play and also having JV do something different, leading to the rotations being a complete mess because the team had to figure out on the fly what their responsibilities were on each play depending on who was screening (nevermind the disasters that happened on plays with multiple screen actions). Rather than implementing a system everyone could play, like last year.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Some people were all over Casey for implementing a hedge heavy defence JV couldn't play and also having JV do something different, leading to the rotations being a complete mess because the team had to figure out on the fly what their responsibilities were on each play depending on who was screening (nevermind the disasters that happened on plays with multiple screen actions). Rather than implementing a system everyone could play, like last year.
                  Wasn't defending the defence or meaning any slight on JV.

Was responding to the point being made on multiple occasions about JV's difficulties having to hedge and recover. He rarely does it and rarely did it is the point I was trying to make, since no one else bothered to correct those statements.

Comment

Wasn't defending the defence or meaning any slight on JV.

Was responding to the point being made on multiple occasions about JV's difficulties having to hedge and recover. He rarely does it and rarely did it is the point I was trying to make, since no one else bothered to correct those statements.
                    Yeah, I agree with that point. I just thought you were misrepresenting many of the complaints that were made in 14-15 about the defence. Anyone complaining then about JV hedging was complaining about the wrong thing, for sure.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• One further thought on JV being bulked up by the Raptors. At the time he was drafted, bulk was very much needed to play the position. Even now there are plenty of traditional C's in the league and JV is absolutely needed to counter those.

Last years playoffs should have made his detractors realize that, although it seems some don't have that capacity.

Without JV dominating traditional C Mahinmi we wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round AGAIN. And he more than held his own against Whiteside in round 2. And the traditional C isn't disappearing. Those 2 C's he squared off against in last years playoffs signed this past offseason for a combined 8 yrs $162 million.

Comment

One further thought on JV being bulked up by the Raptors. At the time he was drafted, bulk was very much needed to play the position. Even now there are plenty of traditional C's in the league and JV is absolutely needed to counter those.

Last years playoffs should have made his detractors realize that, although it seems some don't have that capacity.

Without JV dominating traditional C Mahinmi we wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round AGAIN. And he more than held his own against Whiteside in round 2. And the traditional C isn't disappearing. Those 2 C's he squared off against in last years playoffs signed this past offseason for a combined 8 yrs $162 million.
                        I actually liked the JV + Biyombo combination last year and the JV + Bebe combination this year looks good, too. Two very different looks at the 5 spot, both absolutely needed depending on opponent. JV's defence is passable and his post defence against bigger bodies is critical. Just his size in the lane, when he's in position, has a constant impact.

His post game is an important tool in the toolbox for the playoffs when teams adjust and tighten up on the perimeter scoring (or your two starting guards shoot bricks for three rounds), you actually have a post scorer to go to, which only a few teams have now. The Raptors needed that last spring and they will need it in the playoffs again.

Then you throw in Bebe for 15-20 mpg and his long arms and passing skills throw a very different look at the opponent. He's disruptive even without blocking shots, he's got quick hands and can poke away dribbles and disrupt passing lanes.

This is a league now where one opponent is playing a big 7 foot young C 30 minutes a night and the next opponent doesn't even have a capable 7 footer on the roster. You need to be able to counter both and push your own advantage on both. The Raptors have that ability with two guys like JV and Bebe. Coach has options.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                          I have to say; I'm disappointed with his development. A lot of falls on the Raptors coaches too for trying to turn him into Hibbert2.0. I thought he'd be a much better player by now. That double dribble made me cringe.
                          I'm neither disappointed with his development, nor do I put much blame on the coaches. He is what he is - a very good, big-bodied centre.

If his fitness isn't 100% where it should be, the lion's share falls on him and nagging injuries just like it does for other players.
                          Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Dec 15, 2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            His post game is an important tool in the toolbox for the playoffs when teams adjust and tighten up on the perimeter scoring (or your two starting guards shoot bricks for three rounds), you actually have a post scorer to go to, which only a few teams have now. The Raptors needed that last spring and they will need it in the playoffs again.

Then you throw in Bebe for 15-20 mpg and his long arms and passing skills throw a very different look at the opponent. He's disruptive even without blocking shots, he's got quick hands and can poke away dribbles and disrupt passing lanes.

This is a league now where one opponent is playing a big 7 foot young C 30 minutes a night and the next opponent doesn't even have a capable 7 footer on the roster. You need to be able to counter both and push your own advantage on both. The Raptors have that ability with two guys like JV and Bebe. Coach has options.
                            Yep. How soon people forget last year's playoffs. DeMar agrees with you.....

As DeRozan has struggled, Toronto has had scoring from Jonas Valanciunas in the post, where the Pacers don’t appear to have anyone who can stop him, and huge contributions from their bench. Cory Joseph has 34 points and has taken just 14 shots, or 23 fewer than DeRozan has missed. Patrick Patterson has 25 points on just 11 shots. Rookie Norm Powell, who played the entire fourth quarter on Monday while DeRozan sat, was +21 on the night, tied with Patterson for the best mark on the team.

DeRozan himself acknowledged that the Raptors’ depth should force the Pacers into adjustments that he and Lowry could exploit. In the punch-counterpunch of a playoff series, Valanciunas’s easy 23 points on Monday smacked Indiana right in the chops.

“I think this is the right time for other guys to open things up for us,” DeRozan said. “I’m pretty sure they are going to be worried about JV next game.”
                            http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...ut-to-find-out

Comment

• As a jv supporter, one thing I've noticed through his mini slump is he needs to go up stronger. You're not gonna get the call on these little fancy hook and scoop shots, he needs to act like DeAndre jordan and try and slam it with force. Even if he gets rejected he'll have a better chance at drawing the foul where he's an 80% shooter
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                As a jv supporter, one thing I've noticed through his mini slump is he needs to go up stronger. You're not gonna get the call on these little fancy hook and scoop shots, he needs to act like DeAndre jordan and try and slam it with force. Even if he gets rejected he'll have a better chance at drawing the foul where he's an 80% shooter
                                I agree to an extent. He doesn't need to be dunking it, but he does need to be more aggressive in making his moves at the rim. Fading away and settling too much has become an issue. I like him taking uncontested set jumpers - not his post turnaround so much. Needs to go to the hook shot more from the post, which thankfully has reappeared over the past couple games.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X