Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    Raptorsland always does this. There always has to be a guy. When it's not JV, it will be someone else. Been this way for 20 years.
    we need an obvious goat like alan anderson or john salmons i guess

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
      Eric Koreen included this clip of JV in his recap, critiquing his d :

http://stats.nba.com/events/#!/?flag...0PTS)&sct=plot

"Every worry about Jonas Valanciunas’s defensive ability was exposed midway through the first quarter. The very fast Bledsoe beat Lowry cleanly, and Valanciunas, abandoning Chandler, was there to provide the help. Or, he was theoretically there to provide the help. In practice, he stood there, flat-footed, and Bledsoe swooped in for an easy layup. Valanciunas just does nothing on that play. He does not put his body on Bledsoe, nor does he not make Bledsoe shoot an in-between shot. He does not have the speed to contest the layup at the rim. He does nothing. And that cannot happen."

Here's the link to the article. Good stuff.

https://theathletic.com/31819/2016/1...og-in-phoenix/
      beat Lowry cleanly is where the problem starts with the Raptors defense. Or it could very well be beat *insert everybody but Powell* cleanly.

Lowry and DD are the egregious offenders. And Casey's been harping on that point in the media, i.e., that everybody needs to accept their responsibility to defend their man straight up. But it's fallen on deaf ears because the Raps think they can simply out-score other teams and win games. That's the way Lowry and DD want to play and Casey is powerless to reign them in.

Have said it many times, that's why Lowry desperately needs a mobile rim protector like Biz, so he can shirk his responsibilities on defense and also not have to think about getting him touches on offense (like JV). The defensive slippage is eerily reminiscent of 2 seasons ago. It's all about conserving energy for offense right now.
      Last edited by golden; Fri Dec 30, 2016, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        Raptorsland always does this. There always has to be a guy. When it's not JV, it will be someone else. Been this way for 20 years.
        This is true its been Deebo for the last 6 years before this year.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• His value is slowly diminishing. Dude is getting worse(and bigger) every year.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            His value is slowly diminishing. Dude is getting worse(and bigger) every year.
            Um... I'm pretty sure he got smaller last year ;-) And played much better.

One thing I've noticed about JV.. He loves playing basketball in Spring.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
              His value is slowly diminishing. Dude is getting worse(and bigger) every year.
              How is he getting worse every year? It's actually quite the opposite. He's improved every year. 2016 17 has been a bit of a struggle but 32 games out of 82 games is a little too early to freak out bruhski
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                How is he getting worse every year? It's actually quite the opposite. He's improved every year. 2016 17 has been a bit of a struggle but 32 games out of 82 games is a little too early to freak out bruhski
                I wouldn't take much out of it. He overreacts quite a bit. Used to say Patterson was useless at the beginning of the season and now says he is the third best player on the team. You don't go from 1 to the other in less than 30 games. Patterson wasn't that bad when he was missing shots early on and JV isn't as bad as people make him out to be now.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                  Casey is killing his career. He is a capable 20 and 10 player. He is extremely underutilized, sure he isn't a good defender, and when you combine that with the low amount of touches he gets, you have a player who isn't helping you offensively or defensively. When you bench him for 2 players who JV outplayed in the game in less minutes, you're basically killing his confidence, hard to bring energy every night when that happens.
                  There is no doubt in my mind that in the right situation JV could be a 20 and 10 guy. There is a lot of talk about him being "he is what he is". Well no. He isn't what he could be given patience, and the determination to develop him during the regular season. He has been very poorly developed. He was told he needed to beef up. He did. Then he was told he was too big and needed to slim down. He did that too. He is not involved in the offence except for when all else fails. Like last playoffs. Our team is not set up to pass in to the post. Demar is terrible at it. Kyle is good at it. Demarre not terrible either, but under DC it just isn't a priority to develop him. I feel bad for him. I think he's been very patient and had an excellent attitude considering. I'm just disappointed, it feels like a missed opportunity. I think Demar and Kyle could have better more open shots if JV was developed as an inside threat.

Comment

• I think the solution here is quite easy, let's get JV a haircut and everything will be fine.

#BalticBeastNotBalticBowlCut
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                      There is no doubt in my mind that in the right situation JV could be a 20 and 10 guy. There is a lot of talk about him being "he is what he is". Well no. He isn't what he could be given patience, and the determination to develop him during the regular season. He has been very poorly developed. He was told he needed to beef up. He did. Then he was told he was too big and needed to slim down. He did that too. He is not involved in the offence except for when all else fails. Like last playoffs. Our team is not set up to pass in to the post. Demar is terrible at it. Kyle is good at it. Demarre not terrible either, but under DC it just isn't a priority to develop him. I feel bad for him. I think he's been very patient and had an excellent attitude considering. I'm just disappointed, it feels like a missed opportunity. I think Demar and Kyle could have better more open shots if JV was developed as an inside threat.
                      Enes Kanter could be a 20 and 10 guy too if he was given mins and touches that doesn't mean he is a star player. JV is a very good offensive player and he should be given a couple more touches on offense especially in games where the rest of the offense was struggling like yesterday. The problem with his game is on the defensive end. He is one of the worst defensive centers in the league and I can't see him improving because of how slow and unathletic he is.

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                        Enes Kanter could be a 20 and 10 guy too if he was given mins and touches that doesn't mean he is a star player. JV is a very good offensive player and he should be given a couple more touches on offense especially in games where the rest of the offense was struggling like yesterday. The problem with his game is on the defensive end. He is one of the worst defensive centers in the league and I can't see him improving because of how slow and unathletic he is.
                        Thank you.

Kanter btw is a much better offensive player/more polished than JV. And he's a bench player for the Thunder.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Kanter is a bad compare for JV. JV is pretty meh defensively overall, and definitely has his weaknesses. But Kanter is truly brutal - completely useless on that end. Kanter is indeed a slightly better (or at least more used and proven) offensive player, but overall is not nearly the same level of all around contributor as JV is due to his horrendous defence.

There's basically no evidence that JV is anywhere near a comparable defender to Kanter in any way that would relegate him to a career bench player like Kanter is.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Kanter is a bad compare for JV. JV is pretty meh defensively overall, and definitely has his weaknesses. But Kanter is truly brutal - completely useless on that end. Kanter is indeed a slightly better (or at least more used and proven) offensive player, but overall is not nearly the same level of all around contributor as JV is due to his horrendous defence.

There's basically no evidence that JV is anywhere near a comparable defender to Kanter in any way that would relegate him to a career bench player like Kanter is.
                            Is Greg Monroe a better comparison or maybe Vuc?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Is Greg Monroe a better comparison or maybe Vuc?

Monroe is a decent compare, though JV has traditionally been far more efficient and a significantly better offensive rebounder. They are pretty comparable defensively. Monroe could pretty easily be classified as a poor man's JV, though he's had more opportunity in high usage roles so has gotten more attention. Pretty much the same for Vuc, except he's a significantly worse rebounder and significantly less efficient (though on significantly higher usage than either of the other two). Same mediocre defence. I'd classify both players as the same category of player as JV, but not as good as him.

So it is fair to say both of those guys have been relegated to bench roles, but I don't think it's fair to say that's because of their style of play - they just aren't as good as JV, and talent is the ultimate differentiator in the NBA. They are both borderline starting quality players, so when their fit is questionable, they get booted to lesser roles. JV has established himself as a solid starter (who is elite at certain things), which is the difference.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                                Enes Kanter plays behind Adams at centre, who is better. JV doesn't. Agreed on more touches for JV, he is definitely not one of the worst defenders for his position in the league. He can defend his position, more than I can say for other guys on our team. Like Demar. He is constantly asked to leave his man to help defend for other guys who can't defend their man. Ideally we have 5 guys that can defend their position not 3 or 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X