X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gonna take a stab at it
    Crazy gym rats: lowry, derozan, powell, joseph, poeltl, siakam, van vleet
    Moderate gym rats: patterson, wright
    The "do I have to??" Club: valanciunas, ross, bebe, sullinger, carroll, caboclo

Of course I'm just talking out my ass and don't take this for gospel
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      At the end of the day, Jonas just isn't that quick of a guy - never was, even as a stringbean - and any extra bulk he's carrying is likely the fault of his daily dietary decisions, not his offseason workout plan 4 years ago.
      The Hibbert focus was for 2014-15.

Oct 2, 2014 "In fact, we call it ‘do the Hibbert’ because he (Roy Hibbert) is one of the best in the league at doing that.” - Casey

Oct 9, 2014 "Right now, [Pacers centre Roy] Hibbert is the best. We want him chasing Hibbert." - Bayno

So that was a goal for 2014-15. We're only one full season removed from that (2015-16).

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      I'm trying to figure out how Deebo's season this year is anything but, dominant?

Honestly I just don't think JV works as hard as Lowry/Deebo. His national team coach mention it. Also on that recent podcast by Zach Lowe on all things Raptors one of those writers said "JV doesn't go hard all the time". For JV to survive in this new era he is going to have to work his ass off this summer!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      Bullshit.

"I have a lot of work to do this summer to get better for next year, come even stronger.”

Going into detail, Jonas detailed specific areas in which he will look to improve upon going into the offseason. Including working out with Houston Rockets’ hall of fame center and one time Toronto Raptor, Hakeem Olajuwon in the summer.

“Defensive skills, be able to protect the rim better, and my physicality, my running technique, strength. And then basketball stuff, low post, shots, basically everything,” Jonas chuckled.
      - May 2014

Raptors head coach Dwane Casey makes no secret of his appreciation for veteran players, but he has praised Valanciunas’ tireless work ethic all along.
      - Sept 2015

Toronto coach Dwane Casey has preached patience with Valanciunas all along, especially when taking criticism for benching him in late-game situations. On Monday, Casey raved about his work ethic and his growth
      - April 2016

Magloire said that Valanciunas, along with being unflappable, has a work ethic that’s unremitting: “Sometimes we have to stop him from overworking.”
      - April 2016

Every day it’s the same thing, Jonas Valanciunas working with coaches Jack Sikma and Jamaal Magloire after practice — catch-and-shoot jump shots, 12-footers, 15-footers, 18-footers.

Every day the same, an attempt to expand the game of the fifth-year Toronto Raptors centre because there is one indisputable fact about the NBA today: The game is evolving and so is the role of the big man, no longer a stationary lug planted, immobile, close to the basket with little more ability than taking a step or two towards the bucket and slamming the ball home.
      - October 2016

“Alex brought a boxing guy here to try, just like a warm-up during the preseason, so I tried it, I liked it, so why shouldn’t I continue?” Valanciunas told Pro Bball Report. “Be quick on you feet, be light, be quick, that takes a lot of energy.”

“Still a long way to go, it’s not easy stuff. It’s not like you go there and you are a boxer. I find this stuff helps me with footwork, being live on my feet and quickness.”
      - December 2016

I mean the guy's worked with Olajuwon, Sikma, bulked up, worked with a running coach, shooting/extending range, and is now--even after signing his big contract--taking up boxing to improve his quickness.

Don't revise history to fit your dumb narrative.
      Last edited by Scraptor; Thu Jan 5, 2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
        I mean the guy's worked with Olajuwon, Sikma, bulked up, worked with a running coach, shooting/extending range, and is now--even after signing his big contract--taking up boxing to improve his quickness.

Maybe thats why he has been struggling as of late, he is exhausted from overworking

Comment

• Y'all need to calm down. Jonas will be just fine. He's no bargnani. His value is much higher and he's a great asset to have(+ Look at his contract!! Fucking amazing.). We'll get paid dividends.. very soon. Trust me. Either from trade, or from his PT on the floor.

P.S. Chri1s1anL your beef with JV is really strange one. I still remember that you wanted to trade him for that guy Motejejunas.

Comment

Oct 2, 2014 "In fact, we call it ‘do the Hibbert’ because he (Roy Hibbert) is one of the best in the league at doing that.” - Casey

Oct 9, 2014 "Right now, [Pacers centre Roy] Hibbert is the best. We want him chasing Hibbert." - Bayno

So that was a goal for 2014-15. We're only one full season removed from that (2015-16).

Bullshit.

- May 2014

- Sept 2015

- April 2016

- April 2016

- October 2016

- December 2016

Thank you so much for this. I thought I was going insane, I've never read anything from the Raptors to suggest they are least bit unhappy with JV's work ethic. Where do people get this idea? The LIT coach got on him after a subpar Olympics, I guess... With the esteem most posters who dislike JV hold Casey in, I'd think they trust him a lot more than the LIT coach.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Your quotes are referring to defending the rim with the 'principle of verticality', but if you google 'Jonas Valanciunas bulking up' most of the stories I see are from 2013: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...20bulking%20up

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Thank you so much for this. I thought I was going insane, I've never read anything from the Raptors to suggest they are least bit unhappy with JV's work ethic. Where do people get this idea? The LIT coach got on him after a subpar Olympics, I guess... With the esteem most posters who dislike JV hold Casey in, I'd think they trust him a lot more than the LIT coach.
                I think I posted instagram picture w/ Nascar driver and LIT teammates having drinks just before the olympics(or camp) I believe. LIT coach didn't like that IMO.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                  Y'all need to calm down. Jonas will be just fine. He's no bargnani. His value is much higher and he's a great asset to have(+ Look at his contract!! Fucking amazing.). We'll get paid dividends.. very soon. Trust me. Either from trade, or from his PT on the floor.

P.S. Chri1s1anL your beef with JV is really strange one. I still remember that you wanted to trade him for that guy Motejejunas.
                  What beef? The only reason I've never been a huge suporter of JV was cause of his defensive issues. You can't win a champsionship trying to hide your center defensively. That position is way too important on that side.

My preference will always be a defensive first C. JV is not that.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    Your quotes are referring to defending the rim with the 'principle of verticality', but if you google 'Jonas Valanciunas bulking up' most of the stories I see are from 2013: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...20bulking%20up
                    He gained a lot of weight both summers, IIRC, with the same goal - get big like the elite defensive centres at the time.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      What beef? The only reason I've never been a huge suporter of JV was cause of his defensive issues. You can't win a champsionship trying to hide your center defensively. That position is way too important on that side.

My preference will always be a defensive first C. JV is not that.

Thats fine. Except you wanted to trade him for Motiejunas...There has been things you suggested/said which points to hate.

Comment

• Did I say he doesn't work? He just doesn't work as hard as Lowry/Deebo. Thats why Casey had more of leash with those two.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                          Thats fine. Except you wanted to trade him for Motiejunas...There has been things you suggested/said which points to hate.
                          I believe in Motiejunas skill set in the way the league is going. I dont believe in JV's skill in the direction the league is going. Plain and simple. Call me a JV hater all you want but, I was right about him so far.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I believe in Motiejunas skill set in the way the league is going. I dont believe in JV's skill in the direction the league is going. Plain and simple. Call me a JV hater all you want but, I was right about him so far.

You defintely wasn't right about trading him straight up for Motiejunas. Your view of JV was quite right, but we'll have to wait and see. I was always hoping we can get someone good/better than Moatiejunas for JV.

Comment

Did I say he doesn't work? He just doesn't work as hard as Lowry/Deebo. Thats why Casey had more of leash with those two.

I don't think anyone on this team works as hard as those two guys honestly. They're workhorses..

Comment

I'll admit it, you have been right about JV, but he still has value. You don't trade a flawed, but talented player for average players.

Comment

Working...
                                X