Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully wrote: View Post
    I interpreted Casey's comments as being open to the plan you've laid out - - but it obviously relies on our big man, you know, actually dominating. It's a great theory in premise - making small ball line ups pay by owning the offensive glass and scoring in the low block at will to offset his defensive shortcomings.. but it quickly unravels if JV is just pawing at offensive rebounds, turning it over on a high percentage of his touches and missing bunnies around the rim.
    I interpreted Caseys comments as a message to JV in a very public way to get his goddamn act together. And, oddly enough, look who had his best game in weeks?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Last night's game against Utah is a good example of this not holding water.

At one point in the game, JV and DeRozan both had 16 points. JV was on 6/10 shooting, while DD was on 6/20 shooting. JV also had double-digit rebounds. After that point, JV went 1/1 and DD went 2/6.

I get that this Raptors squad is still the Casey-DeRozan-Lowry show and, despite Casey's comments about JV, he'll never heavily factor into their game-planning. When it comes to his playing time, it is at least equally dependent on the need to cover the shortcomings of DeRozan & Lowry (ie: quickness, athleticism and shot-blocking of Biz & Bebe), as it is on his own play.

JV could absolutely dominate a game offensively and on the glass, but if the weak perimeter defense is leading to easy baskets, it's JV that will get the early hook, not DeRozan or Lowry.
      JV had a great game last night and was rewarded with plenty of playing time... but now he needs X amount of field goal attempts too? His points largely came from the offensive glass (8 ORB) and finishes around the rim - which is probably why his shot attempts weren't there in the second half (He could not do much against Gobert in isolation) - and once again, he was rewarded for crashing the glass/finishing strong around the hoop with additional playing time. I think this is exactly what Casey is talking about unless you're trying really hard to look at it from an anti-Casey view. You play better then you get to play more. Give me a reason to keep you on the court. He did it last night, so he played more.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
        JV had a great game last night and was rewarded with plenty of playing time... but now he needs X amount of field goal attempts too? His points largely came from the offensive glass (8 ORB) and finishes around the rim - which is probably why his shot attempts weren't there in the second half (He could not do much against Gobert in isolation) - and once again, he was rewarded for crashing the glass/finishing strong around the hoop with additional playing time. I think this is exactly what Casey is talking about unless you're trying really hard to look at it from an anti-Casey view. You play better then you get to play more. Give me a reason to keep you on the court. He did it last night, so he played more.
        I dont know, JV got blocked on his fadeaway...he also has for the most part gotten a lot of good buckets against Gobert if you look at the last game as well, where a very unbalanced whistle got JV off the court and let Gobert commit about 16 fouls.

JV's presence alone also clearly impacted Gobert's willingness to help because he didn't want to leave JV open near the rim (including for boards).

JV doesn't need X amount of iso touches. He needs to be fed enough in terms of general touches that the D stays scared of him because he won't be able to do that via offensive rebounds on a nightly basis and it's a special level of absurd to make that the prereq for him getting playing time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I dont know, JV got blocked on his fadeaway...he also has for the most part gotten a lot of good buckets against Gobert if you look at the last game as well, where a very unbalanced whistle got JV off the court and let Gobert commit about 16 fouls.

JV's presence alone also clearly impacted Gobert's willingness to help because he didn't want to leave JV open near the rim (including for boards).

JV doesn't need X amount of iso touches. He needs to be fed enough in terms of general touches that the D stays scared of him because he won't be able to do that via offensive rebounds on a nightly basis and it's a special level of absurd to make that the prereq for him getting playing time.

It sounds like we're in agreement then? JV played really well last night.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
            This is what we need from JV every single night with better defence. He needs to bring it every single night just like DD and KL do.

Anything less than that, is a failure on his part.

This team has a chance ONLY if JV does his part and can stay focused.
            he cant bring it 'every single night' when he barely gets the ball from DD or KL.

Comment

This is what we need from JV every single night with better defence. He needs to bring it every single night just like DD and KL do.

Anything less than that, is a failure on his part.

This team has a chance ONLY if JV does his part and can stay focused.
              DD has been inconsistent and inefficient for most of his career. What kind of bullshit statement is this?

Lowry only showed the kind of player he is in situations where he was allowed to get minutes and flourish. How consistent was he when Casey was jerking him around while we still had Jose?

Last edited by Axel; Sat Jan 7, 2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Wtf trolly mctrollerson? DD has been inconsistent and inefficient for most of his career. What kind of bullshit statement is this?

Lowry only showed the kind of player he is in situations where he was allowed to get minutes and flourish. How consistent was he when Casey was jerking him around while we still had Jose?

Both guys have been consistent and have been major factor in the past 2 years behind the success of this team.
                Last edited by Axel; Sat Jan 7, 2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Both guys have been consistent and have been major factor in the past 2 years behind the success of this team.
                  And JV hasn't? He carried us to the only success that matters at all. He's actually been quite consistent his whole career but his opportunities limited. His "inconsistency" has more to do with being jerked around by Casey his whole career regardless of his play. We've seen him benched in the 2nd half of games where he has a double double at halftime.

Exactly what was i trolling?

Has DD not been inconsistent and inefficient most of his career? Last year was his first actually solid season in his role. He has been allowed to work through his inconsistencies despite only really being a volume scorer who couldn't do anything at an above average level other than get to the line for most of his career. It took him having arguably the worst playoff performance of any primary scorer in the history of the game before Casey benched him for even a quarter.

Lowry had trouble finding a home and consistency. He struggled to find his way in MEM, who gave up on him. He had one great year in Houston, and then when we got him, Casey made him play out of his comfort zone and favoured Jose, a worse talent. Lowry has been great and consistent apart from that, but it begs the question why was he ever relegated to a role/minutes that would hurt his effectiveness and consistency?

When you call me a troll and don't address my rational statements it just exposes you more and more as someone who knows literally nothing about basketball and even sports in general.

Keep on truckin there McRealistic.

Last edited by Axel; Sat Jan 7, 2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

What a Bull Shit ... Stop trolling and open your eyes ... Both guys have been consistent and have been major factor in the past 2 years behind the success of this team.

You must be blind or full of hate if you think otherwise.
                    Demar has been horribly inefficient for most of his career. It's only this season (and periods of last season) that he's starting to be respectable in the efficiency department.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                      Demar has been horribly inefficient for most of his career. It's only this season (and periods of last season) that he's starting to be respectable in the efficiency department.
                      And if you're inefficient it pretty much goes without saying you're inconsistent...unless consistently being inefficient counts as consistency.

*i also preferred Demar's play last year. He was shooting worse but attacking very smartly in terms of shot selection. A marked shift to taking most of his shots from high efficiency areas. This year he's relying a ton on midrange jumpers, with long 2s being his highest volume area again.

Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jan 6, 2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

And if you're inefficient it pretty much goes without saying you're inconsistent...unless consistently being inefficient counts as consistency.

*i also preferred Demar's play last year. He was shooting worse but attacking very smartly in terms of shot selection. A marked shift to taking most of his shots from high efficiency areas. This year he's relying a ton on midrange jumpers, with long 2s being his highest volume area again.

Not to mention he was very inefficient in last season's playoffs? Remember empty the clip? *shudders*
                        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

What a Bull Shit ... Stop trolling and open your eyes ... Both guys have been consistent and have been major factor in the past 2 years behind the success of this team.

You must be blind or full of hate if you think otherwise.
                          I wouldn't call last playoffs consistent for either of them...

Comment

• McRealistic wrote:
                            We are talking about this season ... Plus, why JV fans always get defensive when we ask something logical and solid from JV and try to protect him by comparing him to the others !!!!

All I said is this: for this team to have a good chance, we need JV to put up numbers like 18 and 12 while being better defensively and show us consistency !!!

Yes, consistency , because then we can rely on him No need for the fan boys to loss their mind, attack KL and DD and ...

KL and DD are the stars of this team RIGHT NOW and by the end of this seaosn , both will be paid like the STARS and LEADERS of this team.
                            You just said both have been consistent for the past 2 years lol, which they have not been especially in the Playoffs.

And yes, I agree with what you said about JV having to bring that effort consistently.

Comment

• special1 wrote:
                              I feel your pain man....these guys are unreal. They attack DD and KL in order to make excuses for JV. Demar is on his way to his 3rd All-Star game in 4 years but he hasn't been consistent??? LOL The credibility of these guys......

The same guys who never thought Demar would become an all-star.....never thought he could play a big part on a winning team. Wanted him traded for years....

You'd think JV was a superstar the way they come swinging....

You can't even speak the truth anymore....Guys just don't want to hear it.
                              I'm not even defending JV, just pointing out that Demar and Lowry being consistent in the past few seasons is inaccurate. In the regular season? Sure, they are good. Playoffs? Whole different story. Derozan has been in 3 Playoffs, shot 38%, 40% and 39%. Lowry has been in 4 and has shot 33%, 40%, 32% and 40%. Both of them way worse than their regular season FG%. That is consistent to you? If I recall, last Playoffs both of them shot at a historically low % in the first round and they had to rely on JV to carry the team. Hopefully this season's Playoffs will be different.

Comment

• Everything Valanciunas

McRealistic wrote:
                                We are talking about this season ... Plus, why JV fans always get defensive when we ask something logical and solid from JV and try to protect him by comparing him to the others !!!!

All I said is this: for this team to have a good chance, we need JV to put up numbers like 18 and 12 while being better defensively and show us consistency !!!

Yes, consistency , because then we can rely on him No need for the fan boys to loss their mind, attack KL and DD and ...

KL and DD are the stars of this team RIGHT NOW and by the end of this seaosn , both will be paid like the STARS and LEADERS of this team.
                                no we're not talking about this season. you literally said 'the past 2 seasons' (obviously because you realize derozan has mostly been terrible before last year so you chose to try to contain your argument in a safe zone) and now you've changed your argument again to "we are talking about this season..."
                                Last edited by Axel; Sat Jan 7, 2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X