Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lewro wrote: View Post
    Jv assist ℅ 3.6, Aldridge 10.4, Pau 16.3 (career avg are similar). Spurs run a ball movement system but both guys have similar numbers on other teams. Pau and LMA have similar usage this yr. Pau is also a good defender.
    Anyway, it's all about kawhi and both those guys could be gone in the short term. I think the OP was that it's a guard/wing oriented league. Even top teams like clips and spurs revolve more around kawhi and Paul.
    Fwiw we have tried to acquire both pau and LMA and some here have been keen to trade jv to get LMA bc of his fit on offense (passing is not the main reason but it wouldn't hurt imo).
    "Happy, happy, happy"
    Ast % is not an indicator of passing skill/ability. And certainly not on our team where there have been countless posts (including one in this discussion mentioning Scola) about passing numbers going down for players in our system. If you're not a main ballhandler, you just don't get much opportunity to generate assists.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I dont know, the way people talk about him you'd think he was Greg Ostertag with Javale McGee's IQ.

Haha!

Comment

• "(Assist ℅) value indicates how much "control" a player has over the offense in terms of how many scores are a direct result of his passing ability."

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dicti...ercentage.aspx

Bebe 21m/g, usg℅ 9.1, ast℅ 5.8, /36 1.6
        Jv 26.8 m/g, usg℅ 19.3, AST ℅ 3.6, /36 .8

In a way bebe is twice as good at passing with less than half the usage, in the same system. No, our system does not favour ball movement, however, I'm not sure jv would be any better than avg if it did, whereas, a player with natural passing skill and vision, like bebe, might be an offensive weapon.

At best, jv is an avg passer. Same could be said of bebe's rebounding, especially by comparison. Again, no one complains when bebe is criticized.

Comment

"(Assist ℅) value indicates how much "control" a player has over the offense in terms of how many scores are a direct result of his passing ability."

In a way bebe is twice as good at passing with less than half the usage, in the same system. No, our system does not favour ball movement, however, I'm not sure jv would be any better than avg if it did, whereas, a player with natural passing skill and vision, like bebe, might be an offensive weapon.

At best, jv is an avg passer. Same could be said of bebe's rebounding, especially by comparison. Again, no one complains when bebe is criticized.
          When JV gets the ball in the low-post, he's usually expected to try and score. Is Bebe?

It comes down to the roles that Casey has assigned to each player and the play calling, which combined is all about opportunity.

Scola was made into a 3pt shooter. Vasquez & Joseph have had their natural facilitating abilities neutered. JV isn't asked to pass, within the team's game plan. It's really that simple.

Comment

"(Assist ℅) value indicates how much "control" a player has over the offense in terms of how many scores are a direct result of his passing ability."

why do you think assist percentage is a measure of "good at passing"?

anyways, bebe is good at passing. he also passes when he absolutely shouldn't.

I don't care if JV doesn't make the highlight reel pass. But you guys act like he's totally incapable of even hitting a cutter based on the fact that it doesn't happen often, completely ignoring the fact that we rarely send cutters.

Comment

Still haven't answered why it's important for a guy to pass that himself receives like FOUR PASSES A GAME

We've beaten his pathetic horrifying pissant defense into the ground. Today it's that he's a bad playmaker (7 footer gifted at scoring but OK).. Tomorrow lets go 3 pages on how he ties his shoes like a moron
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

So Bebe has natural passing skill and vision...and is putting up a comparable Ast % to JV's rookie year.

While i don't disagree that Bebe shows a nice passing ability, arguably better than JV, it's worth noting the difference in roles. It's worth noting that largely in a situational view, most of Bebe's passing that leads to an assist is the same type of play where he catches it rolling and swings it to the opposite wing/corner, including in situations where he's catching deep/open enough that normally a big should be trying to finish, not pass. Bebe's passing game to me is still a bit of a mystery because I don't know what he'd look like in a bigger role, and if teams were more tuned to his game as he probably still isn't too well scouted.

The only real area JV struggles from an passing ability perspective to me is kicking it out when he's deep in the post. He doesn't have good instincts there, which to me is at least partly understandable as he had no back to the basket game coming into the league. He's shown solid ability at the least in terms of hitting guys on the interior in other situations, probably average or slightly above. But yeah, our offence has little movement in terms of cuts regardless who has the ball.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Still haven't answered why it's important for a guy to pass that himself receives like FOUR PASSES A GAME

We've beaten his pathetic horrifying pissant defense into the ground. Today it's that he's a bad playmaker (7 footer gifted at scoring but OK).. Tomorrow lets go 3 pages on how he ties his shoes like a moron
                  Where's rocwell with his haircut vendetta?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Where's rocwell with his haircut vendetta?

Comment

• Bebe scores at the rim via lobs, both guys are efficient and effective scorers in their own right. Can jv play above the rim?
                      A lot of their touches come in the high post and bebe has shown more adept at passing from this position. Jv has more ability/potential to shot from this range. It seems the raps are trying to develop this part of his game, perhaps bc they are not an inside out team. Jv is not a strong passer and demar and Kyle need the lane. Shooting from distance might be a way to involve jv more but personally I think the defense is the bigger issue.

(I think) The OP was suggesting that the league is guard/wing oriented. It's not just about Casey or our system. It's not so simple to blame everything on Casey or jv. Both have flaws but the strength of the team is Kyle and then demar. Casey fits that but jv not entirely. There's a lot of professionals, aside from Casey, that have made this criticism. It only seems a point of contention here.

Perhaps we will see a different system in the playoffs.

Comment

• Yes, bebe should dunk when he's wide open under the rim.
                        He's skilled at passing out of the high post and we do have some good slashers that don't get used in this way. Bebe avg 4.1asts/36 last yr in the dleague. Marc gasol is avg 4.5/36 this yr. Yes, it's the dleague but vision/bbiq does translate. I haven't seen this ability out of jv in his rookie or any other yr.

Comment

Bebe scores at the rim via lobs, both guys are efficient and effective scorers in their own right. Can jv play above the rim?
                          A lot of their touches come in the high post and bebe has shown more adept at passing from this position. Jv has more ability/potential to shot from this range. It seems the raps are trying to develop this part of his game, perhaps bc they are not an inside out team. Jv is not a strong passer and demar and Kyle need the lane. Shooting from distance might be a way to involve jv more but personally I think the defense is the bigger issue.

(I think) The OP was suggesting that the league is guard/wing oriented. It's not just about Casey or our system. It's not so simple to blame everything on Casey or jv. Both have flaws but the strength of the team is Kyle and then demar. Casey fits that but jv not entirely. There's a lot of professionals, aside from Casey, that have made this criticism. It only seems a point of contention here.

Perhaps we will see a different system in the playoffs.
                          So jvs elite screen setting hasn't helped demar score 30 a game? What about his elite offensive rebounding when kyle and demar shoot bricks and mortar on the big stage? What about being an ultimate team player (yes that's a skill in this era) who's only answer to touches for 5 years is "I just like winning"? Oh and when he does get it he still scores very efficiently to the tune of 12 and 10 per. So I assume the list of mobile defending centers who are still 3 or 4 years from prime and would he all too happy to do thankless grunt work for the stars but still have the ability to score is a long list?

How come when demar used to blow chunks it was #respecttherecord but the 27-13 raptors need to cut this misshapen rudder dragging us behind

Comment

• how did we get to the point where a fucking CENTER who gets 21 front court touches per game (many of which i would say are hand-offs), and holds the ball on average 1.5 seconds on a touch is somehow a huge problem because he doesn't get assists. fucking hell

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                              how did we get to the point where a fucking CENTER who gets 21 front court touches per game (many of which i would say are hand-offs), and holds the ball on average 1.5 seconds on a touch is somehow a huge problem because he doesn't get assists. fucking hell
                              Hey man he's a misshapen piece. If we had nerlens noel wed win 65

Comment

• Role of the big man on top teams, then Plumlee/jv comp.
                                Jvs passing is not a huge problem, at all. It was a discussion that was critical of jv. That seems to be a huge problem.
                                I said bebe is twig that struggles to rebound (twice, I think?) and that no one would get upset. And they didn't. But they would get upset if I said that jv can't pass. And they did.
                                Both are good players, both have flaws. It's ok to talk about it.
                                Trading cojo for noel makes sense to me bc I have faith in delon. Jv would still be on the team so we'd have both guys for matchups. The idea was that either guy could be flipped for more value at a position of need, depending on which guy fit better and the market. However, as I said recently, I've seen sixers fans talk about noel getting $25m, which ruins this idea. At biz $ I think it would have improved the team, short term and potentially long term. But it's too risky to predict whether some team will throw a huge offer. Buying low on the D potential of noel is a good idea, especially if you want to defend some of the best players in the world. Too bad about the money $. Of course, sixers would have to accept cojo as well and his stock has dropped the last two months.

Comment

Working...
                                X