Iverson Opens Up and Says He Wants a Second Chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iverson Opens Up and Says He Wants a Second Chance

He now says he was too distracted by his daughter’s health issues and divorce proceedings with his wife to stay focused in his last two NBA seasons.

“That wasn’t me at all,” Iverson said. “Obviously, I was dealing with the situation with my daughter and going through a divorce, and I wasn’t there mentally. In my career those last couple years were so hard for me because I wasn’t there. Mentally, I wasn’t there.

“During those 48 minutes on the basketball court, all I [ever] cared about was that time right there. Nothing else distracted me. But at times, I felt myself standing on the court just thinking about my daughter, thinking about the situation with me and my wife. I wasn’t giving [the teams] everything I had mentally.”

So what’s the difference now?

“Everything is fine,” Iverson said. [My wife and I] are still going through the process. But it’s not like it was. … I just felt like the right thing – even if it’s not me and her [together] – we got to be friends and cool with each other because we got five kids together. That was the most difficult part. And then once I got to there, as far as that situation, then everything was basically cool. My kids are healthy. I don’t have anything to worry about but basketball.”

Multiple reports within the past couple years said Iverson has been troubled by financial, alcohol and gambling issues. He admitted there was some truth to his personal problems but declined to go into detail, saying it “would take all day” to explain what wasn’t true.

“There are going to be people out there that say things,” Iverson said. “But it’s the same thing I teach my kids: ‘If it’s not true, why do you worry about it?’ It bothers me at times because I do have a heart, and my kids do have to hear some of those things. But that’s the only time it bothers me. I’m used to people saying a bunch of things about me that are not true.”
    “Obviously, they might have some issues thinking I don’t want to help a team in a certain capacity,” Iverson said. “But that’s over with. All that was going on through an emotional time. It cost me to not play. I’m just willing to help any squad in any capacity.
    “Hopefully, one squad will believe in me and we will go from there. That would be a lot better than having to go overseas.”
    I think a team should and probably will give him a shot. He's not the same player he was 10 years ago and he seems to have come to terms with it. He sounds genuine here in this piece and by the sounds of it, what he was dealing with would probably have a highly negative impact on anyone and on their work performance. Sure, he could have handled it better but as he says, his life is stable again now.

Iverson says he’s completely healthy and can be in NBA shape in two weeks. He is hoping to show he can still play on an NBA level when he hosts his Las Vegas Superstar Challenge on Nov. 12-13.

Iverson will be one of four captains putting a team together in the four-team tournament. The winners of the two games on Nov. 12 will play in a championship game the next day. He announced Wednesday his stacked team is expected to include Kevin Durant(notes), Amar’e Stoudemire(notes), Paul Pierce(notes), Joe Johnson(notes), Zach Randolph(notes), Andre Iguodala(notes), Rudy Gay(notes), Jamal Crawford(notes), Thaddeus Young(notes), Shannon Brown(notes) and former NBA player Larry Hughes(notes).
    “I wanted organizations to see me play and see what I can do on a high level against high-level people,” Iverson said.
    “It’s not where I want it to be,” Iverson said of his career. “When it does end, it’s going to end on a much better note than this right here. This is not the way it’s going to end. Even if I do have to go overseas to play in a competitive situation, it’s not going to end like this.

“I’m not going to let it end like this, and I don’t want it to end like this. My first step is doing everything I have to do to get back to that [NBA] level. But if that’s something that God doesn’t want from me, then that’s that.”
    It really sounds like he's been force fed a big piece of humble pie. With a new CBA coming soon, I hope, it's a new beginning for the NBA. This next ten years should be an environment where teams can make some signings which can be easily cut. I think someone will take a shot at AI. I don't think Toronto will be that team but I do think a team like Dallas or NYC might come knocking.

Source: Yahoo Sports

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in the NBA again... he's a wack job, sure.. but give him a modest salary, check the ego at the door, and a bench role.. there's no reason he wouldn't be able to solidly contribute to any team

plus it drops LeContraction James down a peg in the "greatest current player to never win a title" conversation

Comment

I can't believe AI can still play at all. He is undersized yet played very physical basketball and his body took some serious abuse.

I thought for sure that he would have won a championship, especially with that Melo/Billups/AI team in Denver.

I don't really think a team will take a chance on him. Its been years since he played at a high level. You never know though.
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Why does he need to play at a high level to contribute? The whole problem teams had with him was he wasn't willing to take a lesser role. Now he's willing to do that. What's the risk here? A month wasted on him in that roster spot? Teams will know if he can play still after watching this four team tournament. It's stacked with great pros. Iverson dominated the league due to his physicality and toughness. It wasn't like he used it just to "get by". He can do a lot of other things besides crashing into the paint, drawing contact and going to the line.

Comment

a player like iverson... if you can sign him for cheap enough, and if he's actually sincere this time unlike the plethora of times he wasnt sincere in the past about taking on a lesser role... is a definite benefit coming off the bench

even in small spurts.. him just being on the floor changes the tempo of a game.. he wreaks havoc on defenses.. sure, my dog is a better man defender than him... but in limited minutes when a team goes into a lull (which is known to happen on the Raps on a regular basis), he'd be an incredible asset..

i'm not sold on him not being a head case.... seen it too many times to think he's fixed.... but, who knows.. funnier things can happen... pigs can fly, hell freezes over, eddy curry opts to not have a donut, iverson isn't a nutjob.. its possible

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Why does he need to play at a high level to contribute? The whole problem teams had with him was he wasn't willing to take a lesser role. Now he's willing to do that. What's the risk here? A month wasted on him in that roster spot? Teams will know if he can play still after watching this four team tournament. It's stacked with great pros. Iverson dominated the league due to his physicality and toughness. It wasn't like he used it just to "get by". He can do a lot of other things besides crashing into the paint, drawing contact and going to the line.
            No, I agree. I really liked watching Iverson play, and I'm routing for the guy.

But I have to imagine that his body doesn't have much left in the tank. He is 36 yrs old. I'm sure he has body parts that are just hanging by a thread. If he does play in the NBA again, I think he will be injured quite a bit. If there is a season, it will be condensed with a lot less recuperation time between games. A team would have to manage his minutes carefully.
            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
              I can't believe AI can still play at all. He is undersized yet played very physical basketball and his body took some serious abuse.

I thought for sure that he would have won a championship, especially with that Melo/Billups/AI team in Denver.

I don't really think a team will take a chance on him. Its been years since he played at a high level. You never know though.
              it was a while ago so my memory is a bit foggy.

but, wasn't billups traded for iverson?

apollo, you're wiser than that to fall for A.I.'s "i'll do anything to get back in the nba" speech.

there should really be ... at the end of that and it should continue to say "...but, i ain't coming off no f'n bench".
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                No, I agree. I really liked watching Iverson play, and I'm routing for the guy.

But I have to imagine that his body doesn't have much left in the tank. He is 36 yrs old. I'm sure he has body parts that are just hanging by a thread. If he does play in the NBA again, I think he will be injured quite a bit. If there is a season, it will be condensed with a lot less recuperation time between games. A team would have to manage his minutes carefully.
                He's going on a couple season removed from the grind. I'm sure he's fine. Not to mention he's probably going to be a bench player and not expected to play any more than 20-25 MPG. He's going to come cheap, will be easy to get rid of and so I don't see the risk factor here. Some smart GM in the right situation will snatch him up.

LBF wrote: View Post
                apollo, you're wiser than that to fall for A.I.'s "i'll do anything to get back in the nba" speech.

there should really be ... at the end of that and it should continue to say "...but, i ain't coming off no f'n bench".
                I'm wise enough to look at every situation on it's own and reassess things when new information is available. The guy isn't going to get much money out of this and he knows this would be his absolute last chance. I think he just wants to end his career on a positive note. No one wants to go out like he did. I think he's sincere in his statements. Some team will bring him in, work him out and interview him behind closed doors.

Comment

brett favre went out with about every piece of dignity and respect for him had gone.

I have a feeling if Iverson comes back it will be the same.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Favre hurt him image for what he said and did off the field. From the escapades with that female reporter to the media whoring to the consistent jealous cheap shots at Aaron Rodgers. The guy has acted like an complete egocentric asshole. Iverson wants a chance to prove that he's not an egocentric asshole. The difference here IBF is that Favre retire with a good image initially only to come back an ruin his image. Iverson wants to come back to save his image. Big difference. My money is on him being a model citizen.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      He (Iverson) can do a lot of other things besides crashing into the paint, drawing contact and going to the line.
                      Unfortunately, showing up for practice was a facet of the games he never mastered. It's one of the reasons why I believe any team with a bunch of young players should just say no to Iverson.

Comment

Hey, you're not hiring him so you don't need to worry about it. Somebody is going to sign him at some point when the next season happens. I'd bet money on that.

Comment

I doubt he'll be hired by a team with a lot of young players; it seems more likely (to me) that a veteran contending team brings him in. The Lakers could use some speed on the perimeter, Dallas might lose Barea, Miami might want some benchplay, etc. Most of the teams that could use him (wonder what kind of shape he is in) have veteran leadership that won't let Iverson mess up team chemistry (even Ron Artest has not been a problem since he is with the Lakers).

Comment

iverson won't pass the ball, so I don't see him going to Dallas. seeing as with Rudy now their he'll get no time at sg.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              I doubt he'll be hired by a team with a lot of young players; it seems more likely (to me) that a veteran contending team brings him in.
                              That was my thinking as well. Some team contending will bring him in. Whether its at the beginning of the season or not, who knows but if there is a camp I'm thinking he gets an invite somewhere. A team like the Knicks certainly could use all the depth it can get and I think Iverson could fill a Barbosa type role off the bench in D'Antoni's system.

Comment

Working...
                              X