My solution to the lockout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My solution to the lockout.

OK, so the big name and big $$$ players want to play in the big markets with other big name big $$$ superstars. Apparently 8 teams made money last season. Here's my idea. Tear the whole thing down, split the NBA in two. On one side, you have a Champions League of 8 wealthy, big market teams, filled with max dollar players. On the other side, you have a league made up of the teams which failed to turn a profit, and cannot afford to chase the big name players, even if they would go to a lesser market and bad weather. The rich teams can play against themselves, trade amongst themselves and bid against each other till they drown in money. The remaining league will not have the same payrolls, the same fine weather, the same movie stars in the front row. They get to play for a good salary and the love of the game. Yes I'm kidding, but I kind of like the idea. Maybe it would save us from an NBA season that doesnt last as long as Kris Humphries marriage!!
    Last edited by Ion66; Sat Nov 5, 2011, 10:34 AM.

Kris*
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

kim dumped humphries 'cause i'm banging her now.

#pipe dream
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Ion66 wrote: View Post
        OK, so the big name and big $$$ players want to play in the big markets with other big name big $$$ superstars. Apparently 8 teams made money last season. Here's my idea. Tear the whole thing down, split the NBA in two. On one side, you have a Champions League of 8 wealthy, big market teams, filled with max dollar players. On the other side, you have a league made up of the teams which failed to turn a profit, and cannot afford to chase the big name players, even if they would go to a lesser market and bad weather. The rich teams can play against themselves, trade amongst themselves and bid against each other till they drown in money. The remaining league will not have the same payrolls, the same fine weather, the same movie stars in the front row. They get to play for a good salary and the love of the game. Yes I'm kidding, but I kind of like the idea. Maybe it would save us from an NBA season that doesnt last as long as Kris Humphries marriage!!
        Interesting idea but what does that do to the value of the teams not in the top eight? They outnumber the big markets 22 to 8. Why do they agree to it?

Comment

The only way i can see the league making that work is to change the entire system to a promotion/relegation type deal... like the EPL... and having different salary caps, luxury taxes, etc based on a team's tier level..

but even thats a highly risky longshot

and you also give a team like Rio Grande Valley Vipers hope of one day playing in the big league... and nobody wants to see that

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            The only way i can see the league making that work is to change the entire system to a promotion/relegation type deal... like the EPL... and having different salary caps, luxury taxes, etc based on a team's tier level..

but even thats a highly risky longshot

and you also give a team like Rio Grande Valley Vipers hope of one day playing in the big league... and nobody wants to see that
            Indeed, this is exactly how I interpreted it as well.
            Not sure the American market could handle the Relegation aspects of the system.
            Would be interesting though.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Indeed, this is exactly how I interpreted it as well.
              Not sure the American market could handle the Relegation aspects of the system.
              Would be interesting though.
              it's a great system... it forces franchises to be try to be successful.. you wouldn't be able to float by on being crap and being cool with it because you fill seats (i'm looking at you, Mister Los Angeles Clippers)... get relegated, lose your tv deals, be forced to work with a smaller salary cap, release your expensive players to the upper league teams... until you can work your way back up..

meanwhile, the Celtics vs the Fort Erie Whateverthefuckthey'recalleds for the Eastern Conference championship..

i dont think they could pull it off... but would be damn interesting to see... and would increase competitiveness, as the upper teir teams would basically ALL be stacked teams

Comment

When people say that the top teams are in a different league, I thought to myself "That would be interesting to see." Completely unlikely, but if the biggest problem for the small(er) market teams is the money and prime locations of the top 8, why not a split? If most of the finals are always going to be LA vs. Boston anyhow, what's the harm? Then we have the finals, with the Premier league team vs. the NBA (smaller market) league champs. Big money superstar team vs. underdog team built with heart, brains and luck. Everyone is motivated. Everyone loves Yankees vs. underdog in baseball. It's classic sports chemistry, and Miami doesnt always win.

Comment

Ion66 wrote: View Post
                  When people say that the top teams are in a different league, I thought to myself "That would be interesting to see." Completely unlikely, but if the biggest problem for the small(er) market teams is the money and prime locations of the top 8, why not a split? If most of the finals are always going to be LA vs. Boston anyhow, what's the harm? Then we have the finals, with the Premier league team vs. the NBA (smaller market) league champs. Big money superstar team vs. underdog team built with heart, brains and luck. Everyone is motivated. Everyone loves Yankees vs. underdog in baseball. It's classic sports chemistry, and Miami doesnt always win.
                  Answer this first, then you'll understand:
                  Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Interesting idea but what does that do to the value of the teams not in the top eight? They outnumber the big markets 22 to 8. Why do they agree to it?
                  Everyone loves Yankees vs. underdog in baseball. It's classic sports chemistry, and Miami doesnt always win.
                  Yeah, but the Yankees do not play in a different league than the rest of the teams, so this comparison is mostly moot.

Comment

Interestingly, I read this on the Sportsnet website. This is a small part taken from the longer article.

The goal need not be to put the NBA out of business. All that's needed is a viable plan to skim off the league's most marketable players and generate revenue that keeps them in custom Prada while the owners fiddle. This isn't the 1960s. NBA stars are entertainers and celebrities as much as they are athletes. They are brands unto themselves and they have resources. Together, Shaquille O'Neal (maybe he comes out of retirement to be player/commissioner), Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Dwight Howard and LeBron have easily earned more than $1 billion in salaries and endorsements. They are represented by shoe companies desperate to keep their brand relevant sans NBA (hence Nike's "Basketball Never Stops" ad campaign for the lockout).

How about an eight-team league with 80 of the world's best playing a 32-game season, financed in part by the players? You don't think a sports network outside the NBA's current orbit, Comcast Sports, would take a flyer on that? It would be impossible that the league's championship tournament wouldn't get a title sponsor and media coverage. And it would be inevitable that a few hoops-loving hedge fund managers would come on as co-investors in this ultimate fantasy league.

A few more superstars in one league and less in the other would get Stern's attention. He built the NBA on star power, and suddenly he'd have none. The image of Team Kobe facing off against Team LeBron in a winner-take-all final, playing for their own money and for the love of the game, would certainly resonate with the world of sports fans who might like seeing sports' corporate interests set on their heels for once. And a guy like LeBron just might like the idea of working for himself.

Comment

Working...
                    X