Rodney Stuckey - or his advisor - is a fool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodney Stuckey - or his advisor - is a fool

The Detroit Pistons and restricted free agent Rodney Stuckey are struggling to come to terms on a long-term contract, sources said.

Stuckey, the Pistons' top free agent this offseason, is balking at what the team is prepared to pay him. The Pistons have discussed a deal that would pay Stuckey between $40 million and $45 million over five years, according to sources.

By comparison, Mike Conley agreed to a five-year, $40 million extension with the Memphis Grizzlies in November.

Stuckey's representatives, seeking an even bigger deal, have been contacting other teams the past few days, looking to broker a sign-and-trade deal. However, the Pistons are telling teams they won't agree to one, sources said.

If the impasse continues, Stuckey's representatives are threatening to take the Pistons' one-year, $3.87 million qualifying offer, which would make him an unrestricted free agent in 2012.
    Source: ESPN.com

Someone should remind Rodney Stuckey as to what happened when Joe Smith turned down a $90M contract. I know what I would do as the Joe Dumars - let him play out the qualifying offer and start developing Brandon Knight. I know what I would do as a rival GM receiving a call to give more than 5 years and $40-45M - laugh hysterically and hang up.

The funny thing is that Stuckey's people are acting so dumb here it actually surpasses the idiocy of Detroit offering him the deal in the first place.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      The funny thing is that Stuckey's people are acting so dumb here it actually surpasses the idiocy of Detroit offering him the deal in the first place.
      Exactly. I didn't even go there because that is an entirely different issue in and of itself, deserving of its own thread.

Comment

who the hell would pay rodney stuckey that much money? He's not that good. I think jerryd bayless has more upside than him

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          who the hell would pay rodney stuckey that much money? He's not that good. I think jerryd bayless has more upside than him
          I don't know that I'd go that far. Stuckey is a decent player but he's not the most efficient scorer and he doesn't really make the players around him better. His numbers don't look all that bad but the issue is whether he can run a winning team on the floor. If that's the question about a PG, you don't give him $45mm over 5 years.

I like Matt's idea. Pull the offer, let him play out this year while you bring Knight along slowly. Turn the reins over to Knight next year and sign a veteran PG as insurance. There are always a few available.

Comment

And I thought Calderon's contract was bad.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Source: ESPN.com

Someone should remind Rodney Stuckey as to what happened when Joe Smith turned down a $90M contract. I know what I would do as the Joe Dumars - let him play out the qualifying offer and start developing Brandon Knight. I know what I would do as a rival GM receiving a call to give more than 5 years and $40-45M - laugh hysterically and hang up.
              ...Is the guy really even worth that much?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                I don't know that I'd go that far. Stuckey is a decent player but he's not the most efficient scorer and he doesn't really make the players around him better. His numbers don't look all that bad but the issue is whether he can run a winning team on the floor. If that's the question about a PG, you don't give him $45mm over 5 years.

I like Matt's idea. Pull the offer, let him play out this year while you bring Knight along slowly. Turn the reins over to Knight next year and sign a veteran PG as insurance. There are always a few available.
                you give Bayless those kind of minutes and he'll put up better numbers and be more efficient from the field i guarantee it.

Comment

Right now it sounds like Casey is looking for Bayless to be the spark plug off the bench. I see him getting more minutes though. I really hope he plays outstanding this season and makes it a no brainer for the $4M qualifying offer. If he struggles and they opt not to send him the offer he becomes a UFA and in most cases when a team refuses to make a qualifying offer the UFA signs elsewhere.

I think Stuckey has the talent to be an outstanding player and he may very well have more talent than Bayless but I feel Bayless is more valuable because of how he plays the game.

Comment

Stuckey signed for 3 years and $25M.

Comment

Working...
                    X