Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NBA Dynasty S7 Thread (temp) - Mack North is the Champion(temp)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

i don't think this idea punishes the max dollar guy. it just rearranges when the max guys get nominated. there would still be no reason realizar(example of who would go first) doesn't nominate kd first and fuck with everyone's fingers. he would nominate next again anyway. the 200 owners still have all the monetary leverage, they lose the randomization of lucky yahoo gods.

the downside of this idea that i can see, might be too much power into the hands of empty slot owners.
    But it doesn't just move when they get nominated, it means that they need to balance the risk of missing out on their $200 guy, plus whatever lower tiered guy gets nominated while they wait. So if there are 5 people with $200 spots, and really only 4 reasonable targets, someone is going to miss out on all 4 of those guys, plus whatever lower tier guys that gets nominated before we settle the top guys. It's a bigger risk on those owners than other owners. Also, normal NBA free agency sees the lower tiered guys waiting (Danny Green) for the top guys to settle (Kawhi, KD).

I 100% agree that the yahoo random gods need to be removed from the equation, but I don't see this proposal as a positive for the league.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

I agree with this. Our league standings are fairly static with injuries or mis-management really being the biggest impacts (* for Apollo since he will immediately post his league standing improvements from year to year)
      Outside of bad luck, mismanagement is how all teams go from good to bad in any league. Stronger players will always perform better no matter the rules. So the best strategy for anyone in this league is to pay attention to the NBA, understand the dynasty rules, make a plan and stick to it.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Outside of bad luck, mismanagement is how all teams go from good to bad in any league. Stronger players will always perform better no matter the rules. So the best strategy for anyone in this league is to pay attention to the NBA, understand the dynasty rules, make a plan and stick to it.
        Yeah but most fantasy leagues have a large draft to make changes year to year. Our league is significantly more done on the margins (trades, waivers).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          But it doesn't just move when they get nominated, it means that they need to balance the risk of missing out on their $200 guy, plus whatever lower tiered guy gets nominated while they wait. So if there are 5 people with $200 spots, and really only 4 reasonable targets, someone is going to miss out on all 4 of those guys, plus whatever lower tier guys that gets nominated before we settle the top guys
          the bold is exactly why i like it. we know that 1 slotters with 200 are waiting for 1 guy to drop 200 on. they still get their pick of the litter. no one nominating before them can out bid them. it becomes chicken of the big guns. in your scenario the first guy to flinch gets exactly who he wants, and the other 4 get rewarded for waiting for khawi.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

the bold is exactly why i like it. we know that 1 slotters with 200 are waiting for 1 guy to drop 200 on. they still get their pick of the litter. no one nominating before them can out bid them. it becomes chicken of the big guns. in your scenario the first guy to flinch gets exactly who he wants, and the other 4 get rewarded for waiting for khawi.
            but that is why it is punishing those guys, it adds extra risk to them for no reason other than that they managed their cap that way. By having the order be directly tied to the standings, the big guns are in order to help attain the best competitive balance.

Comment

• Its not punishing them though. They still have the opportunity to go get their #1 guy or #2 or #3 and with the trend going toward everyone going max bid if you truely believe that bad teams have too difficult a battle to become good then this is a possible solution to help them along. Good teams are stacked and good managers are building those teams more and more so they only have a single slot open, which mean as is they have the best shot at the best FA's each year.
              Last edited by Apollo; Thu Sep 5, 2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Just to recap some ideas tossed out there:
                1. Order the auction based on number of vacant roster slots per team; more slots means a better place in the auction
                2. Have teams buy place in the upcoming auction order based remaining FAAB after the season is completed.
                3. Have teams buy place in next season's auction order based remaining FAAB after the current auction is completed.
                In my opinion #1 and #2 provide a little more opportunity for strategy because the decision can be made later in the year when more information is available.
                Last edited by Apollo; Thu Sep 5, 2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Its not punishing them though. They still have the opportunity to go get their #1 guy or #2 or #3 and with the trend going toward everyone going max bid if you truely believe that bad teams have too difficult a battle to become good then this is a possible solution to help them along. Good teams are stacked and good managers are building those teams more and more so they only have a single slot open, which mean as is they have the best shot at the best FA's each year.
                  This is the concern. The more people set up their teams like this, the more it is a luck of the draw random selection, something I'd think we want to avoid in a league like this. A system where there is more variability in bidding power (and ideally one that rewards non-capped teams to reflect reality) would address that. But all these other options seem like halfway effective half measures - which can be a good thing.

Of the options you list I like the first one the most (well, a modification of it), assuming we allow $200 opening bids. Give some benefit to the teams who have cap room. Order the draft nominations by committed cap, in ascending order. Should get far fewer ties to break, and give an actual edge to teams with cap space in free agency, closer to how the NBA works.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• ...I actually kind of like Dan’s idea of bidding years and adjusting auction dollars accordingly even though I think it would be a lot of work

Comment

• I get it’s a more drastic change but it totally eliminates the $200 bid issue, because if I’m understanding correctly, no one would have 200 to spend. Everyone has varying years to assign and so you’re almost never leaving anything to yahoo luck or just who can type a number quicker

Comment

Just to recap some ideas tossed out there:
                        1. Order the auction based on number of vacant roster slots per team; more slots means a better place in the auction
                        2. Have teams buy place in the upcoming auction order based remaining FAAB after the season is completed.
                        3. Have teams buy place in next season's auction order based remaining FAAB after the current auction is completed.
                        In my opinion #1 and #2 provide a little more opportunity for strategy because the decision can be made later in the year when more information is available.
                        Your recap didn't include my main suggestion, which is to have the auction nomination order be an inverted standings tiered approach, which still allows for $200 nominations but gives "worse" teams first dibs.

Comment

• Proposed Auction Ideas - Update
                          4. Auction nomination order be an inverted standings tiered approach, which still allows for $200 nominations but gives "worse" teams first dibs.
                          5. Order the draft nominations by committed cap, in ascending order.
                          6. Reward +$1 FAAB for each extra vacant roster slot.

#6 explained:
                          Vacancies FAAB
                          1 $200
                          2 $201
                          3 $202
                          4 $203
                          5 $204
                          6 $205
                          7 $206
                          8 $207
                          It's a FAAB shootout with #6. Everyone can spend $200 on a single player.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Thu Sep 5, 2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Geez guys ... can't just keep things simple eh? Lol I don't even have time to read everything above, but I thought we already settled the Nom Order issue?

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
                              ...I actually kind of like Dan’s idea of bidding years and adjusting auction dollars accordingly even though I think it would be a lot of work
                              It doesn't necessarily make it easier on the bad teams. There are good managers, with good teams (I'm looking at the Posse) who don't seem to care about max bid, carry over a bunch of vacancies into the off-season and crush the league.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                Geez guys ... can't just keep things simple eh? Lol I don't even have time to read everything above, but I thought we already settled the Nom Order issue?
                                You can blame me cause I restarted it as I don't think the voted idea is very good.

Comment

Working...
                                X