Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NBA Dynasty S7 Thread (temp) - Mack North is the Champion(temp)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My personal favourite option is Dan's still.. cap space isn't money it's years in this league. If your cap space adds up to 30 years, and you have 2 roster spots left.. than you should only have $10 (or years) to use at the auction for those 2 players. If you use less, than you have money (or years) you can use during the year as well. We can accumulate cap space during the season by trades, like trading a 3 year player for a 1 year player. This helps teams that keep a nice clean cap more competitive as they can use that cap space to bring in other assets like draft picks.

If any team is at 40 years than they can only bid $0 during the season... which may be fine since a lot of players during the year are claimed for $0 anyway.

This method just fits with the NBA the most; adds more strategy - which I'm a fan of; and helps teams that are on the lower end of the totem pole climb a little bit easier. If we go with this approach than I'd like to have the amnesty clause reintroduced and given to every team and have it expire after say 2 or 3 seasons if not used before then.

After that, than I like what Coach just summarized above. It was one of the reasons why I was hoping we could trade FAAB money for the auction, and this can help you do that. I'm not a huge fan of everyone having the same amount of money during the auction every year.. especially since this is a dynasty league and not a re-draft. Whether it be $100 or $200 with whatever was left over the previous year is fine for me.

For either method, I'd be fine with a random auction order as well.

If we use the current method, where everyone gets a fixed $200 FAAB account every year, then I'd like to setup a different order other than random. But still allow opening bids other than $1.

Comment

• The Coach wrote: View Post
      Glanced through most of the thread, but didn't read everything.

If we're trying to mimic league free agency, shouldn't there be something setup that's aligned to cap space?
      We all start off with $200 every free agency, but that doesn't seem to follow the NBA free agency... so, how do we assign cap space in a way that's easy and makes sense?

One idea would be to give everyone fixed amount every year (i.e., $100) and that gets added to their remaining cash from last year's free agency, or what's left after the season.

For example, I think it was WJF that still has $200 (or somebody did) so they would now have $300 for this year's draft while I (I think I have $16 left over would now have $116). If two people had an equal amount (two people have $300) then I guess it would go back to determining how it's been done in the past... but only for those two (and in this setup... both players may not want to spend all of their cap space either).
      Coach’s proposed idea is by far the best one thus far. Kudos bro!

I hereby formally endorse the idea; I also support it’s adoption and encourage everyone give consideration to its implementation this season.

RR OG

Comment

• i don't really support any idea that tries to replace or add a different cap. i like our cap rules. i really only want a fix for the 200 random luck issue, without just making the guy who would 100% get his player now be 100% to not get him. i think that anything that goes beyond some type of nomination changes is too much change for changes sake.

Comment

• If we’re mimicking league realism, I don’t think carrying over FAAB money best resembles that. If the Phoenix Suns spend under budget each year they don’t have the ability to offer more than a max contract and they still can’t go over the hard cap after going under previous seasons.

it seems that cap years has best resembled a hard cap for us. In which case DanS idea comes into play.

There is no perfect representation of the real NBA at the moment. Every change we make has an impact on the league strategy and we should think of owners might strategize for the change .

For example if we used Dan’s Rule, would we see lots of teams maintaining a whack of cap space like Realizar to drop 6-7 years on a big FA? Would that mean every time would keep multiple recurring expiring spots open so they could all have big year money to spend ? Whatever the change our competitive league would adapt. My problem with the cap years system is that we could tons of teams holding many open spots to maximize one big bid and then signing many over the cap on one years to end the FAAB.

If we do carry money over. It should be allowed to also trade for money during the off-season given that we currently can trade money in season.

To me, leftover money carrying into next year doesn’t mimick the NBA because the NBA still has a max offer sheet that all teams abide by and team money doesn’t carry over. In my opinion, the current structure rewards long term smart management to offer one “Max” 200 contract ... this most coincides with the idea of “dynasty” league to me not a keeper league
          Last edited by koncept; Fri Sep 6, 2019, 07:46 PM.
          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• You can never mimic the NBA completely because player's decide ultimately where they want to go. I mean we had cap space to bring in Durant but he went to GSW that year.

As proven here to me the free agency draft is pretty weak. It's the same retreads year over year with a collection of rookies that went undrafted 1-16 (or 17 in this year - thanks again commish!)

So spending a lot of pixels discussing how to make it better or changing it in the end may not really matter. If someone wants to spend $200 on a guy like Nance Jr.. they can go ahead. He's essentially small potatoes in this league. He may be a top 100 player but he's also not a franchise player. In the NBA free agency can help lure a franchise player.. like LAC and Brooklyn just did this summer in real life.

You may be able to get a guy like Lou Williams for a $1 and then swing him in a year or two in a trade to get a better player. The ability to get better is there in this league. Apollo has proven it. Luck of course is a significant factor, but that's what makes this league good.. everyone has a chance to win eventually. As long as they put the right amount of work into it.

I mean Mack just won it last year and he drafted Embiid, who up until last year had only played like 90 games total since he was drafted or something. And he's arguably his best player now.

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
              If we’re mimicking league realism, I don’t think carrying over FAAB money best resembles that. If the Phoenix Suns spend under budget each year they don’t have the ability to offer more than a max contract and they still can’t go over the hard cap after going under previous seasons.

it seems that cap years has best resembled a hard cap for us. In which case DanS idea comes into play.

There is no perfect representation of the real NBA at the moment. Every change we make has an impact on the league strategy and we should think of the impact of each proposed rule change on the landscape of the league.

For example if we used Dan’s Rule, would we lots of teams maintaining a whack of cap space like Realizar to drop 6-7 years on a big FA? Would that mean every time would keep multiple recurring expiring spots open so they could all have big year money to spend ? Whatever the change our amazing competitive league would adapt. My problem with the cap years system is that we could tons of teams holding many open spots to maximize one big bid and then signing many over the cap on one years to end the FAAB.

If we do carry money over. It should be allowed to also trade for money during the off-season given that we currently can trade money in season.

To me, leftover money carrying into next year doesn’t mimick the NBA because the NBA still has a max offer sheet that all teams abide by and team money doesn’t carry over. In my opinion, the current structure rewards long term smart management to offer one “Max” 200 contract ... this most coincides with the idea of “dynasty” league to me not a keeper league
              It's also a risky strategy to have lots of roster spots (and cap space) since free agency isn't so strong in this league. But it's a strategy.. and that's what I like about it.. gives guys other options. Having a team with "cheap" contracts means you can trade for a bad contract and get a pick. Helps the little guy. The big guy might see a win now player but doesn't have the space for him, so tries to create it by giving up a pick to someone else. It hurts team that don't have clean books. Helps teams that do.

I just like the idea that cap space in this league isn't money it's years.. so why not use the "years" as well in free agency. NBA teams have cap space, but it's money not years. The years are maxed out to 5 per contract.. and less in some cases as well. The only exception are RFA's.. and we kind of have that system as well with the DPE. We just allow free agents to keep coming back as long as have the right number of keeper slots (ie, two) a year.

Comment

• The league is spread out wide across the spectrum of various proposed change ideas. Consider that maybe it doesn't change because we won't all agree in large enough numbers either which way.

Also what if Joey is right about keeping it simple for now by just going with the first passed league change and then revisit this other stuff later?

One more thing, complex ideas require more work for the person(s) running the league and so perhaps at the end of the day Joey should have veto power if that's not already a given.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

It's also a risky strategy to have lots of roster spots (and cap space) since free agency isn't so strong in this league. But it's a strategy.. and that's what I like about it.. gives guys other options. Having a team with "cheap" contracts means you can trade for a bad contract and get a pick. Helps the little guy. The big guy might see a win now player but doesn't have the space for him, so tries to create it by giving up a pick to someone else. It hurts team that don't have clean books. Helps teams that do.

I just like the idea that cap space in this league isn't money it's years.. so why not use the "years" as well in free agency. NBA teams have cap space, but it's money not years. The years are maxed out to 5 per contract.. and less in some cases as well. The only exception are RFA's.. and we kind of have that system as well with the DPE. We just allow free agents to keep coming back as long as have the right number of keeper slots (ie, two) a year.
                  I like that you (or Dan) are trying to mimic a more realistic comparison to the NBA... I was trying to think how the cap years could play in as well and that idea makes some sense... but it doesn't appeal to me as much

It doesn't make sense to me for everyone to be given the same $200 every year (no matter how much they spent on free agents last year) and the fact that we have introduced the remaining cap $ into acquiring free agents and trades into the regular season, it seems like the next step would be to have it carrying over into the dynasty part.

Frankly, I also think it would be a fun new factor that makes sense and seems simple to manage with yahoo.

My proposal would be to have everyone start with $200 for this free agency and then, going forward, everyone keeps what they held onto over this year, with an added $100 given to everyone in the summer every year after.
                  “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                  ― John Wooden

Comment

• If we implement any rules with money coming into draft more than $200 then I suggest we also allow money trades during the off-season. For example picks for cash
                    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• The Coach wrote: View Post

I like that you (or Dan) are trying to mimic a more realistic comparison to the NBA... I was trying to think how the cap years could play in as well and that idea makes some sense... but it doesn't appeal to me as much

It doesn't make sense to me for everyone to be given the same $200 every year (no matter how much they spent on free agents last year) and the fact that we have introduced the remaining cap $ into acquiring free agents and trades into the regular season, it seems like the next step would be to have it carrying over into the dynasty part.

Frankly, I also think it would be a fun new factor that makes sense and seems simple to manage with yahoo.

My proposal would be to have everyone start with $200 for this free agency and then, going forward, everyone keeps what they held onto over this year, with an added $100 given to everyone in the summer every year after.

I could get behind somethign like this. Maybe a little less than $100 per year. I think we need to keep this year status quo as that is how people have planned.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• One thing I can see down the road is that rolling over FAAB into next season gives another mechanism to the strong teams to get stronger. What is likely to happen is strong teams will sell end of the draft picks for FAAB. That FAAB will lead to safer players ready to contribute while the weaker teams will get more fliers who are far more likely to flop than those players available at the auction. Building through the draft can work but it gets much harder the further out from #1 you go. Building through the auction and WW can work but it gets far more difficult the less money you have to work with. For a team trying to win now, these rule changes actually greatly favor them because they're much more likely to get what they need right away. The other guy gets far less guarantees.

​​​​

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          One thing I can see down the road is that rolling over FAAB into next season gives another mechanism to the strong teams to get stronger. What is likely to happen is strong teams will sell end of the draft picks for FAAB. That FAAB will lead to safer players ready to contribute while the weaker teams will get more fliers who are far more likely to flop than those players available at the auction. Building through the draft can work but it gets much harder the further out from #1 you go. Building through the auction and WW can work but it gets far more difficult the less money you have to work with. For a team trying to win now, these rule changes actually greatly favour them because they're much more likely to get what they need right away. The other guy gets far less guarantees.

​​​​
                          I agree that this scenario could happen, but isn't that the reality of good and bad management in any league? I think what you're saying is that this gives bad managers just one more opportunity to screw up... which is true... but not worth not doing it IMO. Looking at my results, I may be in the bad management category and I would gladly make the change... I can at least tell myself it's bad management, learn from it, rather than the system that has some luck of the draw.
                          “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                          ― John Wooden

Comment

• Guys, there's a million things we could do to make it "more real", but as I've said before, I'm not particularly interested in making sweeping changes .. we just don't need it.
                            Last edited by Joey; Sat Sep 7, 2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Why cant we carry over our unused monthly mobile data?

Why can't we carry over our unused annual faab money?

Exactly!
                              RR OG

Comment

• James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
                                Why cant we carry over our unused monthly mobile data?

Why can't we carry over our unused annual faab money?

Exactly!
                                realizar is saying that anyone can be our new commish if they lower our monthly payments and or increase our data. let a commishabattle begin.

Comment

Working...
                                X