RR NBA Dynasty League Thread (S8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post

This is obviously unprecedented, but in theory, since you claimed him on the 1st waiver period from his time being cut, you are actually claiming his existing contract. And since he was claimed by someone on his 1st waiver period, his previous contract wouldn't count against your cap.

The rule is currently, when Team A drops a player, if he is claimed by another team (B) on the first waiver period, then team B needs to have the cap space to absorb his existing contract, and if that happens Team A doesn't get the cap penalty for cutting the player under contract. If a player isn't claimed, then Team A has the contract count against their cap and the player is then free to sign with any team for any legal value on future waiver periods.

don't see why this rule would be applied different just because Team A and Team B happen to be the same team (or at least, one drunken, one sober version of the same team). Joey could rule otherwise, but unless told otherwise, this is how I will process this when I do the cap update tomorrow.
    Yep. Original 1-year contract is not counted, but it is a 1-year contract that cannot be extended since he was claimed in Waiver period.

Comment

• Couple things. First, I'm surprised that Mack could claim his own player on the first WW for that player. I thought all Yahoo games had a rule against this but I guess it's only fantasy football.

Second, I have a question for you so I understand this better: what if this is a multi-year player? What happens to the original contract if you cut you 2 year contract player and then claim him on the first WW?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Couple things. First, I'm surprised that Mack could claim his own player on the first WW for that player. I thought all Yahoo games had a rule against this but I guess it's only fantasy football.

Second, I have a question for you so I understand this better: what if this is a multi-year player? What happens to the original contract if you cut you 2 year contract player and then claim him on the first WW?
        The claiming team would need to have the cap space to absorb the 2 year contract and they would get that player on that contract. Basically an incentive/bonus to having cap space. We've had to reverse a few waiver adds in the past where a team didn't have the cap space to claim the player on their first waiver period.

The basic premise is, a player under contract is waived, goes through waivers where he could be claimed with his existing contract. If no one claims him, he becomes a free agent and is able to sign whatever deal is negotiated.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The claiming team would need to have the cap space to absorb the 2 year contract and they would get that player on that contract. Basically an incentive/bonus to having cap space. We've had to reverse a few waiver adds in the past where a team didn't have the cap space to claim the player on their first waiver period.

The basic premise is, a player under contract is waived, goes through waivers where he could be claimed with his existing contract. If no one claims him, he becomes a free agent and is able to sign whatever deal is negotiated.
          Ok, I think I get it. So in this case let's say I am in the playoffs and on a Wednesday I cut a 2yr player who has no game on Wednesday or Thursday and add a vet on a 1yr with two games on tap for those days. Let's say I immediately put in a claim for the player I cut in a follow-up claim and that player has two games remaining from Friday to Sunday. Have I effectively gained two games on the schedule with the only consequence being the one year contract player I rented for a few games? Can I still resign that two year player at the end of his contract in two years?

Comment

• Actually ... the more I think about this, the more I don't like it ... what's to stop someone from just dropping and claiming the guys over and over again with no consideration for the cap ... theoretically, Mack could then drop him again, and pick up Rudy the next one, and so on and so forth, with zero cap hits along the way.

Edit: Apollo and I having the same thoughts apparently. Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Actually ... the more I think about this, the more I don't like it ... what's to stop someone from just dropping and claiming the guys over and over again with no consideration for the cap ... theoretically, Mack could then drop him again, and pick up Rudy the next one, and so on and so forth, with zero cap hits along the way.

Edit: Apollo and I having the same thoughts apparently. Lol
              I think this is something I would have a hard time not abusing if it means I increase my chances of winning in the playoffs.

Going forward, should teams be allowed to claim the guy they just cut? Or what discourages us from abusing a loophole? Both worth considering.

Comment

I think this is something I would have a hard time not abusing if it means I increase my chances of winning in the playoffs.

Going forward, should teams be allowed to claim the guy they just cut? Or what discourages us from abusing a loophole? Both worth considering.
                I'm not too worried, you've got 7 bucks left to your name lol Also, what's to stop the next guy from claiming the 2 year guy you dropped in the first place? Your place in the waiver wire line would be dropped, wouldn't literally everyone have a shot at the player before you(all things being equal - enough cap space and FA$)?

Maybe we can just put a rule in where if the same time re-signs a player on the very next WW they have to eat his original contract and only get him for a 1 year(remainder of season) max? I don't see it as a big deal as long as there's some form of cap hit. I assumed I was getting dinged with the previous year plus the new contract I was going to dole out.

I'm fine with whatever's decided going forward, but don't think I should be penalized since, as Axel said, there's been no precedent set. I most definitely didn't do it on purpose and I'm OK with Cam at 1 year... heck, ding me with a 2nd if you want(but shouldn't!).

Comment

• I kinda agree with Mack in the sense that if you are dropping a good player under contract, there is nothing to stop any of the other 15 teams in the league claiming that player and you lose them for good for your shenanigans.

You also would need to be under the cap all the time for each of those transactions, since Mack will be taking a 1 year hit for Rudy Gay (the min contract), so each time you would be taking a cap hit and once you are at 40, you can't claim a guy off waivers who is on his first waiver period.

If you were somehow able to be under the cap, and keep swapping between the same two players (in theory, never taking the cap hit cause the guy is constantly being claimed), then I'd say 1) it wouldn't likely work as the NBA schedule isn't that predictable so you wouldn't get the benefit; and 2) it's a clear dick move that requires special intervention. Since we are doing this for fun, I wouldn't expect too many people have that in them knowing it would piss off the other owners.

Finally, just because Joey the Merciful has been in charge so far this year, don't forget who the OG is. The last people who crossed Joey in Dynasty were mcHappy, Snooch and ceez.....

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Ok cap sheet is up to date, also was wondering how did Tucas drop his draft pick Saddiq Bey and his 3 year DPE and not get a single chirp from the crowd?

Christmas cheer indeed!

Comment

Ok cap sheet is up to date, also was wondering how did Tucas drop his draft pick Saddiq Bey and his 3 year DPE and not get a single chirp from the crowd?

Christmas cheer indeed!
                      Shhhhhhhhhhh.

No regrets though. Had to make room for Keldon who REALLY deserves the 3 year deal

Comment

• Apollo wrote:

I'm unsure how its a dick move to drop a guy and pick up another guy with a few extra games on tap when its within the rules but ok, you call it whatever you like.
                        To drop and re-claim the same 2 players over and over again on consecutive waiver periods for the sole intent of capitalizing on a loophole in a friendly fantasy league....that seems like someone putting winning over the integrity of the game and forcing Joey to write more rules for the CBA just prevent something that has literally never happened in the previous 9 years.

Comment

To drop and re-claim the same 2 players over and over again on consecutive waiver periods for the sole intent of capitalizing on a loophole in a friendly fantasy league....that seems like someone putting winning over the integrity of the game and forcing Joey to write more rules for the CBA just prevent something that has literally never happened in the previous 9 years.
                          Its important to understand the rules in this complicated league and there's nothing wrong with discussing the rules, is there? It is a friendly league and so I'm pretty surprised with your unfriendly language here, Axel. Implying threats and name calling over some questions? You're better than that buddy.

Comment

Its important to understand the rules in this complicated league and there's nothing wrong with discussing the rules, is there? It is a friendly league and so I'm pretty surprised with your unfriendly language here, Axel. Implying threats and name calling over some questions? You're better than that buddy.
                            I don't know what you are talking about. If you are implying that JOKING about Joey eliminating some bad eggs is a threat, then I suggest you gear down a tad.

And yeah, exploiting a loophole in a friendly league when you know it shouldn't be done, for the sole purpose of winning....that's a dick move. But sure, Joey can write up some new rule language so that there is even more in the CBA.

Comment

I don't know what you are talking about. If you are implying that JOKING about Joey eliminating some bad eggs is a threat, then I suggest you gear down a tad.

And yeah, exploiting a loophole in a friendly league when you know it shouldn't be done, for the sole purpose of winning....that's a dick move. But sure, Joey can write up some new rule language so that there is even more in the CBA.
                              Why make that joke at all? Who's it for? I'm not gearing up, I'm just asking questions here so I understand what you're actually saying. And I am very calm, I'm low gear. Just idling.

Anyway, it is a friendly league but it is competitive and most moves people make are for the sole purpose of winning. Looks like I pressed a button here Axel. So I'm clear now, do you think its a dick move to play the schedule with your three moves per week limit?

Comment

• Mack has to have Cam Johnson’s initial 2-year contact counted as waived against his cap.
                                RR OG

Comment

Working...
                                X