Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skywalker wrote: View Post

Thanks for the input man!!

Just out of curiosity, did you have the best regular season record in 2018?
    Wasn't that the draft year that Apollo accidentally "misplaced" the entire thread mid-draft?

I don't remember all the details, but historically, we've always intended to go by final regular season standings, just like the NBA. But since our commish is always in the mid-lotto, who knows if anyone has been actually paying attention to the end of the draft ranking.

2018 - Mack won the title but was only the 4th best season record, as 007, myself, and koncept had better records. But with all the trades, good luck figuring out who owned what picks when.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

I don't remember all the details, but historically, we've always intended to go by final regular season standings, just like the NBA. But since our commish is always in the mid-lotto, who knows if anyone has been actually paying attention to the end of the draft ranking.

2018 - Mack won the title but was only the 4th best season record, as 007, myself, and koncept had better records. But with all the trades, good luck figuring out who owned what picks when.
      Thanks for the input man!

For years, I didn't participate in the draft at all, so I checked to see who was being drafted, but paid zero attention to who was drafting where. The last couple years, I've probably had more draft picks than anyone else (LOL), so it seems we followed Yahoo's final season rankings, as opposed to end of season rankings. (Please feel free to chime in here guys if you have evidence to the contrary.)

In 2019, I drafted 2, 12, & 16. I cannot remember all picks that traded hands, but I did have Mack's pick. That's one thing that can be confirmed in the temporary 2018 thread. If we went by end of season rankings, 4th best would have drafted 13th, correct? So was that just a mess up since no one was paying attention? LOL

Thank you gentlemen!

Comment

Thanks for the input man!

For years, I didn't participate in the draft at all, so I checked to see who was being drafted, but paid zero attention to who was drafting where. The last couple years, I've probably had more draft picks than anyone else (LOL), so it seems we followed Yahoo's final season rankings, as opposed to end of season rankings. (Please feel free to chime in here guys if you have evidence to the contrary.)

In 2019, I drafted 2, 12, & 16. I cannot remember all picks that traded hands, but I did have Mack's pick. That's one thing that can be confirmed in the temporary 2018 thread. If we went by end of season rankings, 4th best would have drafted 13th, correct? So was that just a mess up since no one was paying attention? LOL

Thank you gentlemen!
        I'm not entirely surprised if there were mistakes made. That said, we (me) always do a post at end of the regular season with the non-lotto draft slots and the lotto pairs (pre-lotto). That post usually gets bumped up post lotto to show the entire draft order. Unless that post was modified at some point prior to our draft, then it should have been correct since it was made before our playoffs started. With the time lapse between our regular season end, NBA lotto, NBA draft, our draft, it's certainly possible that something got lost in translation along the way. The rules for our draft order are always in each season's page 1, CBA post, but it's not surprising that people forget or don't notice. New owners for teams typically are in the lotto, so we tend to go over only the most important rules for them, which means this isn't one that gets brought up as often as it should.

Also doesn't help when division winners automatically finish with a top 2 seed, so technically, even though Dan (11 wins) had a worse record than me (12 wins), he finished ahead of me since he was a division winner while I was behind 007 (14 wins). This year seems to be the first time it will make a difference in recent years, but just one more mental hurdle along the way.
        Last edited by Axel; Sun Jul 18, 2021, 09:50 AM.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• So for clarity, this is the official draft order for this year.

1. Planet Mars
          2. Skywalker
          3. Berta
          4. drizz
          5. Skywalker (Realizar)
          6. jbml
          7. WJF
          8. Skywalker (Joey)
          9. Tucas
          10. Mack
          11. koncept
          12. jbml (Coach)
          13. jbml (Apollo)
          14. Axel
          15. Skywalker (DanH)
          16. 007

Comment

• Ya I think for the most part we've done ok with using the Pre-Playoff rankings, since it's basically a question that comes up every year. Lol

Don't think I didn't notice that shot though Axel. You just wait. We're playing the Phoenix Suns role. Be terrible for 10+ years, and then BAM! POW! Don't know what hit you! Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Ya I think for the most part we've done ok with using the Pre-Playoff rankings, since it's basically a question that comes up every year. Lol

Don't think I didn't notice that shot though Axel. You just wait. We're playing the Phoenix Suns role. Be terrible for 10+ years, and then BAM! POW! Don't know what hit you! Lol
              That would have been more impressive when you wrote it than it is now that the Suns lost in the Finals.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

That would have been more impressive when you wrote it than it is now that the Suns lost in the Finals.
                Was just going to say, that post didn't age well. LOL

Comment

• Any thoughts on the timing of the rookie draft this year? August 1st may be a little hectic with all the NBA goings on, do we want to do later in the summer? Maybe near the end of August, closer to the September re-sign deadline?
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    Any thoughts on the timing of the rookie draft this year? August 1st may be a little hectic with all the NBA goings on, do we want to do later in the summer? Maybe near the end of August, closer to the September re-sign deadline?
                    I'm fine with whatever people want to do. Would make sense for this year since the draft is so much later than normal.

Comment

Any thoughts on the timing of the rookie draft this year? August 1st may be a little hectic with all the NBA goings on, do we want to do later in the summer? Maybe near the end of August, closer to the September re-sign deadline?
                      I'm on vacation at that time, but if I have my alotted window to make my selection I will definitely get it in during that timeframe or earlier if we're moving quickly.

Comment

Working backwards,
                        Oct 19 NBA regular season starts (Also the deadline date for all contracts, both rookie & free agent)
                        Oct 17 - Free agency auction draft?
                        Sept 26 - Announcement of re-signs

If something like this becomes our key dates, I see no problem in having our draft mid August, or even Sept 1.

Thoughts?

Comment

• This is my first time around for a full offseason and since last year was kinda weird.
                          What has been the precedent for summer league? Has the draft been pre or post summer league in the past?
                          If it has been after summer league i think August 1st is to early. Need to get a good scout in against real NBA sized player and how teams are going to use guys
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                            This is my first time around for a full offseason and since last year was kinda weird.
                            What has been the precedent for summer league? Has the draft been pre or post summer league in the past?
                            If it has been after summer league i think August 1st is to early. Need to get a good scout in against real NBA sized player and how teams are going to use guys
                            Usually it is August 1st, which is usually after summer league. So we do usually get that late chance at scouting before making our picks. Plus it's after FA which can impact how big a role a player will have on their team. It's part of why I suggested slipping the draft back.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Usually it is August 1st, which is usually after summer league. So we do usually get that late chance at scouting before making our picks. Plus it's after FA which can impact how big a role a player will have on their team. It's part of why I suggested slipping the draft back.
                              Yep my vote is for after summer league and FA if that has been league precedent
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working backwards,
                                Oct 19 NBA regular season starts (Also the deadline date for all contracts, both rookie & free agent)
                                Oct 17 - Free agency auction draft?
                                Sept 26 - Announcement of re-signs

If something like this becomes our key dates, I see no problem in having our draft mid August, or even Sept 1.

Thoughts?
                                Works for me. I would prefer a little later actually, the more info available the better

Comment

Working...
                                X