No announcement yet.

RR NBA Dynasty League Thread (S8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This season is unlike any other with injuries rest etc. But even regular seasons become a bit of who has healthier squads. Originally I was against IR and then I was kind of for it but the more I think of it,how would it even work with the cap? The player you pickup while one is on IR would they count against your cap? It’s so complex... what was the general consensus last time we discussed. IR or no IR spot for dynasty future seasons
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
      This season is unlike any other with injuries rest etc. But even regular seasons become a bit of who has healthier squads. Originally I was against IR and then I was kind of for it but the more I think of it,how would it even work with the cap? The player you pickup while one is on IR would they count against your cap? It’s so complex... what was the general consensus last time we discussed. IR or no IR spot for dynasty future seasons
      I think the IR cap piece could be quite easy if we said we would treat it like any other signing. I think the more complicated question would be would it redefine what not having your roster set means? It might be a can of worms or it might not be. One suggestion would be to try it for a season with no committment to continue it. There's little harm in that.

Comment

• I’d say I’m against it. Injuries happen to everyone, it makes for messy cap/roster spots and this is an outlier season in what will likely be the last outlier season in a long time. We’re 10 years in, if it’s not broke don’t fix it

Comment

• I've been firmly against the IR slot for years, but I do find that injuries play a bigger role in our playoffs than they should.

I would like to see our playoffs moved up a week - why play 1 team twice per season when you play everyone else once? I'll admit that I am bias about this as well cause I have played 007 twice per year for each of the last 4 seasons while other teams have faced much weaker opponents on their double-dip.

If Yahoo doesn't allow that, then the IR might be the only option to try and mitigate.

If we do IR, then I say normal cap rules apply.
          Last edited by Axel; Wed Apr 28, 2021, 08:19 AM.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• My question would be what's the downside of testing one IR slot per team for a season? What is the primary concern of not trying something? The league would still be hardcore. You could even add stipulations to force the user to make sacrifices in order to benefit from it so there's a balancing effect.

Here's some ideas to make it painful to offset the benefit:
            • One use per, season per team.
            • $50 FAAB price tag to use it (don't have the money? Get good. ) OR $50 FAAB freeze at the next auction if used (no max money player? That hurts).
            • 1 year cap freeze until after final contracts are submitted next season (might actually be a good thing for some of the wild men in this league when they're handing out contracts in the fall).
            I mean, it could increase the strategy and skill requirement of the league without making it complex.

So again, what is the primary concern of not trying something? All sports leagues experiment to add to the quality of the league. Nothing is binding unless you make it binding.

Comment

• I suppose the way I look at it is that we already have an IR slot, in the same way NBA teams do. On any given night, we choose our 10 man roster (NBA uses 13) and the rest of our team is inactive. Which is essentially what real leagues have for their IR. The inactive list.

What people seem to be proposing is allowing a larger roster for injuries, which is straight up not allowed in the NBA (injury exceptions just help with a little cap flexibility, you still need the roster spot - you can exceed for up to two weeks in the case of hardship, but that requires like 4 concurrent injuries for multiple consecutive games).

That said, this is how I would approach a potential IR spot (or list).

If we were to implement an IR, it would make sense to me for it to be a long term IR. Say a team has a player who is out for the year, they can slot that player onto IR permanently (until the offseason) and then sign a player with the open spot. I would argue this should capture the spirit of the temporary roster size increase in the NBA, but that would be a mess to do on a two week term like that, so the effect would be simply that teams with cap room can't use the spot they freed up via IR to sign someone long term with their cap space, or make a claim on an existing contract in first waivers. It would be like the over-cap signings we do, a one year cap hit, no re-sign capability, and I'd argue the player should be untradeable as well. This way teams can't use injuries as an excuse to get longer term control over an extra player compared to the rest of the league.

If we decide on a list of IR spots, rather than a single spot, you could just let teams IR whichever eligible players (we'd need a rule saying Yahoo has to set them to IR or out or something) they want and add a bunch of those one year replacement players.

Shorter term injuries, well that's why we have 15 man rosters. And I'm not winning my round by replacing one of the star players who missed time right as the playoffs kicked off with whatever ~100-150 rated player I can pick up on waivers. That wouldn't be the intent, I wouldn't think, anyway. Though with the system above, I could have replaced a bunch of guys if I so chose, and prayed that the fringe adds would make up enough of the difference.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• now that we're exploring all these ways in which to do it, im leaning more towards no IR. sounds far too complicated to work out all the details or penalties of it. long term short term, we just kind of ride or die with our roster as we always have.
                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  I suppose the way I look at it is that we already have an IR slot, in the same way NBA teams do. On any given night, we choose our 10 man roster (NBA uses 13) and the rest of our team is inactive. Which is essentially what real leagues have for their IR. The inactive list.

What people seem to be proposing is allowing a larger roster for injuries, which is straight up not allowed in the NBA (injury exceptions just help with a little cap flexibility, you still need the roster spot - you can exceed for up to two weeks in the case of hardship, but that requires like 4 concurrent injuries for multiple consecutive games).

That said, this is how I would approach a potential IR spot (or list).

If we were to implement an IR, it would make sense to me for it to be a long term IR. Say a team has a player who is out for the year, they can slot that player onto IR permanently (until the offseason) and then sign a player with the open spot. I would argue this should capture the spirit of the temporary roster size increase in the NBA, but that would be a mess to do on a two week term like that, so the effect would be simply that teams with cap room can't use the spot they freed up via IR to sign someone long term with their cap space, or make a claim on an existing contract in first waivers. It would be like the over-cap signings we do, a one year cap hit, no re-sign capability, and I'd argue the player should be untradeable as well. This way teams can't use injuries as an excuse to get longer term control over an extra player compared to the rest of the league.

If we decide on a list of IR spots, rather than a single spot, you could just let teams IR whichever eligible players (we'd need a rule saying Yahoo has to set them to IR or out or something) they want and add a bunch of those one year replacement players.

Shorter term injuries, well that's why we have 15 man rosters. And I'm not winning my round by replacing one of the star players who missed time right as the playoffs kicked off with whatever ~100-150 rated player I can pick up on waivers. That wouldn't be the intent, I wouldn't think, anyway. Though with the system above, I could have replaced a bunch of guys if I so chose, and prayed that the fringe adds would make up enough of the difference.
                  Just so everyone is clear, when a player is added to IR and then becomes healthy again that team becomes automatically locked from add/remove roster moves until the player on IR is either dropped or moved to the regular roster.

One note about the 15 man roster. A team with 15 healthy guys plays 15 healthy guys. He's not dressing some of them, he's dressing all of them and that doesn't occur in the NBA. That team does have a 3-4 game advantage over a team who can only play 14. Whichever way you dice it, it's still an advantage. Not a huge advantage but if you then add in two or three more hurt guys into the mix, well, then that single IR slot might be a huge matchup saver for a team that's otherwise out due to bad luck instead of bad choices.

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
                    now that we're exploring all these ways in which to do it, im leaning more towards no IR. sounds far too complicated to work out all the details or penalties of it. long term short term, we just kind of ride or die with our roster as we always have.
                    That's where I guessed this would end up. I think IR could be simple and easy but either way the league is fun.

Comment

• I agree with what Dan is saying about this isn't supposed to be an opportunity to secure another asset for trades or a weekly injury musical chairs. Long term injuries should be the intent, but Yahoo doesn't seem to differentiate. Looking at my roster, Shai (last played March 22nd) and Wiseman (April 10th) have the same "INJ" status as LaVine and Fox (10-14 Covid protocols) despite being out for much longer. Shai didn't have a timetable to return, but Wiseman was clearly done for the year as soon as his injury occurred, so Yahoo just doesn't seem to bother making the distinction. That makes it harder to govern.

Maybe the easy solution is to say you can activate an IR slot once per year. If you choose to use it on a 2 week guy during an important stretch of schedule, lucky you, better hope you stay healthy. If you use it on a guy like Klay, cool beans. But either way, waiver pick up rules apply as normal except the injury replacement player cannot be traded or signed beyond the season, so if the guy is great, then he hits auction with some hype (something we've been lacking). You can swap out that injury replacement as many times as you want (so Klay on IR could be replaced with 5 players over the season) but any IR replacement gets the same "No Movement" clause contract, easy enough to denote in the cap sheet (which will be handled better next year assuming no more brain injuries). A simple # or ^ would suffice to say - no movement player. When that player is dropped, whoever is picked up would inherit the suffix.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Cap sheet is updated, only 1 issue came up which is posted. Everyone should take a look in case they see something I missed.

Comment

• Not a fan of an IR spot........there was no issues before covid?.......

Comment

• For the record, I am not a fan of an IR spot.

Comment

• And Vucevic and Brogdon both go down. Apollo and I both trying to drag this over the finish line hahaha
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Enjoy today's playoffs gents, looks like 4 teams still in it

Comment

Working...
                                X