Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Fantasy Keeper League (REBOOT W/ Salary Cap System)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mack North wrote: View Post

Yea, I'm all for a new style of league. I find the plain Keeper leagues to be a bit boring.

You draft a guy for $60, he takes $90 to keep the following season. Wise move to win now? Maybe. Wise move for the future of your team? Maybe not so much.

I'm down to give this a go. There's no IDP's, so rosters aren't terribly big.
    Would that carry forward with trades? I draft a guy for $60, I trade him, the other team needs to re-sign him at $90? Would make for a much more complicated trade season.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post

Would that carry forward with trades? I draft a guy for $60, I trade him, the other team needs to re-sign him at $90? Would make for a much more complicated trade season.
      Maybe traded players keep their initial draft value? Obviously can't be traded back to the team that just traded them either.

Comment

Yea, I'm all for a new style of league. I find the plain Keeper leagues to be a bit boring.

You draft a guy for $60, he takes $90 to keep the following season. Wise move to win now? Maybe. Wise move for the future of your team? Maybe not so much.

I'm down to give this a go. There's no IDP's, so rosters aren't terribly big.
        So that's 1.5 x Auction price to resign and how many do we allow? What if you want to double down the following year, is it $135 or is it still $90?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

So that's 1.5 x Auction price to resign and how many do we allow? What if you want to double down the following year, is it $135 or is it still $90?
          Can't imagine anyone wanting to use up $135 of $200 on one player... $60 was a high estimate, but not out of the realm of possibility in a bidding war between Ballswin and Axel to get Baker Mayfield or Vita Vea in the inaugural draft.

Maybe we could go 1.25 to keep the first time and 1.5 for the second time? This might allow for a few more keepers each season... or, 1.5 first time and 1.75(of initial auction $) for second time keeping.

All depends on how much roster turnover everyone wants to see year-to-year. 3 seasons with a few star players to get it done, otherwise you let them go back into FA or trade them and start fresh.

Comment

I think a flat rate of inflation per year would be easier to track. 1.5x each year, even when traded, or added by FA or whatever makes things simple to understand but still allows for the depth of strategy that I think you are looking for. I wouldn't cap the number of keepers, as the inflation rate and hard cap would do that for you. If someone wants to spend most of their money on 2 or 3 players then fill out the roster on cheap fliers, then that is an option for them.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Can't imagine anyone wanting to use up $135 of $200 on one player... $60 was a high estimate, but not out of the realm of possibility in a bidding war between Ballswin and Axel to get Baker Mayfield or Vita Vea in the inaugural draft.

Maybe we could go 1.25 to keep the first time and 1.5 for the second time? This might allow for a few more keepers each season... or, 1.5 first time and 1.75(of initial auction $) for second time keeping.

All depends on how much roster turnover everyone wants to see year-to-year. 3 seasons with a few star players to get it done, otherwise you let them go back into FA or trade them and start fresh.

This is kind of is starting to sound like the system I poorly described earlier. lol

When I ran those numbers to me it seemed like anything below 1.5 would not be enough of an increase on the cheaper players. This all kind of makes sense to me because in real football the stars demand large deals and hit FA if the team won't pay. The cheap guys tend to be young unproven players or old, almost washed up players.

I think whoever lands a guy like McCaffrey will only be able to hold him a year or two at 1.5 increases per year. I think we would see a bunch of high profile guys hitting the auction each year.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                I think a flat rate of inflation per year would be easier to track. 1.5x each year, even when traded, or added by FA or whatever makes things simple to understand but still allows for the depth of strategy that I think you are looking for. I wouldn't cap the number of keepers, as the inflation rate and hard cap would do that for you. If someone wants to spend most of their money on 2 or 3 players then fill out the roster on cheap fliers, then that is an option for them.
                The hole in this system is those cheap players won't increase hardly at all. So a team could load up on cheap (good) fliers for a couple seasons and then potentially dominate the league for years to come with that cheap core plus signing rental vet studs at auction each year. This is why you'd need some sort of minimum base salary for the first re-sign year (like $8, maybe).

Comment

I'm getting excited about this new league.
                  RR OG

Comment

The hole in this system is those cheap players won't increase hardly at all. So a team could load up on cheap (good) fliers for a couple seasons and then potentially dominate the league for years to come with that cheap core plus signing rental vet studs at auction each year. This is why you'd need some sort of minimum base salary for the first re-sign year (like $8, maybe).
                    Flat inflation rate with a min salary on re-signs is still straight-forward enough. I just don't like the idea of different inflation rates for guy or a set number of keepers.

Comment

So, are we sort of in agreement on these?

1. $200 total hard cap for re-signings, auction and regular season free agency (FAAB).
                      2. The cost to acquire (auction price or FAAB price) determines the current cap hit.
                      3. Re-signing price is 1.5 x the cap hit from last season. The only exception is signings made the previous season for less than $5. Those cost a flat rate of $8 to re-sign and then are treated like every other player thereon.
                      4. All salary re-sigings are rounded up to the nearest whole number (ie: no contracts of $8.10, $8.20, etc. Instead the contract will be $9 in this hypothetical case).
                      4. No locked in multiyear deals. Re-sign whoever you want for as long as you want/can.
                      5. Once you hit the cap you can still make signings but those players become UFA's even if traded (they go straight to auction in the off-season).
                      6. (edit) Players signed to replace guys sent to IR are fair game to resign in the offseason.
                      7. There is no rookie draft... For now at least.
                      8. There is no transaction limit during the season. Shouldn't be a factor, really.

Bonus recommendation:
                      Trades need some sort of buffer in order for them to workout easily. Maybe the value you take back cannot exceed 110% of the total outbound players? So, if you made a trade offer involving $50 outbound, the most you can take back is $55. This will grease the trade wheels and maybe create a little bit of extra strategy.

Also, we'll need a cap sheet. Shouldn't be too bad with the smaller rosters.
                      Last edited by Apollo; Thu May 20, 2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

6. Players signed to replace guys sent to IR become UFA's unless you're below cap and you cut the guy they replaced.
                        7. There is no rookie draft... For now at least.
                        6. Could this be a bit hard to keep track of? I guess it's honor system?
                        7. I'm all for a rookie draft!

Comment

6. Could this be a bit hard to keep track of? I guess it's honor system?
                          7. I'm all for a rookie draft!
                          6. It could be. Should we just drop that one? For me in Dynasty I take full advantage of the IR. Most seasons I'm carrying 3-5 more players than the 30 player limit because of IR. We do not have an IR rule in that league and it works fine so maybe I'm overthinking this one.

7. I like the idea of a rookie draft too. If this works, next August should be pretty interesting with a rookie draft in the NBA and NFL leagues.

Comment

Yea, I think it's probably easiest to scrap this IR rule.

I'm definitely way more into NFL rookie drafts than NBA, so much talent to choose from. NBA is a real crapshoot most years.

Comment

So.. this being year 2 of my fantasy football matriculation ....and inheriting a team that was already constructed.......
                              How does the keeper league differ on acquisition.... I am following along on salary caps and ongoing cost structures..
                              BUT
                              Is there an initial draft of players in this new keeper league ?
                              On an I pick.. then you pick and then you pick till its my turn again with each player carrying a set cost ?
                              Or do you trot the beauty contestants out on "draft day" and we bid on them?
                              Eg...
                              First up in the swimsuit competition is Christian McCaffery and the bidding starts with 15 quatloos from Apollo ?
                              Other bidders drive the price up to say 50 quatloos.. how does the bidding stop on McCaffery or any other player ?

Sorry to ask blood simple questions... is there a set of instructions site I can read ?

And is this how Team Defense is scored on a per game basis as opposed to the IDP contribution plan we use in Dynasty 10 League?
                              • Sacks: 1 point
                              • Interceptions: 2 points
                              • Fumbles Recovered: 2 points
                              • Safeties: 2 points
                              • Defensive Touchdowns: 6 points
                              • Kick and Punt Return Touchdowns: 6 points
                              • 2-Point Conversion Returns: 2 points
                              • Points Allowed (0): 10 points
                              • Points Allowed (1-6): 7 points
                              • Points Allowed (7-13): 4 points
                              • Points Allowed (14-20): 1 points
                              • Points Allowed (21-27): 0 points
                              • Points Allowed (28-34): -1 points
                              • Points Allowed (35+): -4 points

Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu May 20, 2021, 05:19 PM.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                                So.. this being year 2 of my fantasy football matriculation ....and inheriting a team that was already constructed.......
                                How does the keeper league differ on acquistion.... I am following along on salary caps and ongoing cost structures..
                                BUT
                                Is there an initial draft of players in this new keeper league ?
                                On an I pick.. then you pick and then you pick till its my turn again ?
                                Or something else ?

Sorry to add blood simple questions... is there a set of instructions site I can read ?

There will be an initial draft which will be auction style. You have $200 to spend between your entire draft and then to last your through the season for waiver wire pickups(should you want to retain $ after the auction). Each owner will have a turn to nominate a player for auction, then the bidding begins. It gets pretty nuts during our NBA fantasy leagues, some players go for insane amounts, then other not-so-sexy studs can be had for a couple bucks if nobody bids. Once everyone nominates a players, it goes back to the first owner to nominate again... and this will proceed for 18 rounds or whatever it is until rosters are full.

You're gonna love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X