Bobcat Fired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat Fired?

Not sure where to put this but McCown is out at Sportsnet.

Why would they cancel the highest rated sports show in Canada? Seeing speculation that some of his comments on basketball vs. hockey and decision-makers sidelining hoops didn't play well with Rogers execs and their $5 billion NHL gamble...

slaw wrote: View Post

Why would they cancel the highest rated sports show in Canada? Seeing speculation that some of his comments on basketball vs. hockey and decision-makers sidelining hoops didn't play well with Rogers execs and their $5 billion NHL gamble...
    I saw the rumours but is it legit? Nothing on sportsnet/fan590's website. He just signed a new contract a year or so ago.. so this would be a firing I guess if it's true. Doubt his rants about hockey would cause this immediate firing. He brings up hockey a lot in his shows.. way more than basketball.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

I saw the rumours but is it legit? Nothing on sportsnet/fan590's website. He just signed a new contract a year or so ago.. so this would be a firing I guess if it's true. Doubt his rants about hockey would cause this immediate firing. He brings up hockey a lot in his shows.. way more than basketball.
      Maybe it's a garbage rumor. I'm certainly not the source!

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

That would be the biggest story in Canadian sports in years (other than the Raps win )
        I'm not a giant Bobcat fan but his ratings are insane. God help us (them) if they plug Jeff Blair in his slot.

Comment

jonah‏ @yyzsportsmedia
          FollowFollow @yyzsportsmedia

More
          We can now confirm that Bob Mccown will be surrendering the host seat at @FAN590 ...The fairwell show is either going to be Thursday or Friday. By all accounts Blair takes over on interim basis. We will have a complete story shortly (likely tomorrow)...

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

That would be the biggest story in Canadian sports in years (other than the Raps win )
            I'm not a giant Bobcat fan but his ratings are insane. God help us (them) if they plug Jeff Blair in his slot.
            I spoke too soon. From a legend to one of the worst no-knowledge broadcasters in the country:

[YYZ Sports] We can now confirm that Bob Mccown will be surrendering the host seat at @FAN590 ...The fairwell show is either going to be Thursday or Friday. By all accounts Blair takes over on interim basis. We will have a complete story shortly

Comment

If they replace him with ex hockey players, we're all done. Thankfully ESPN pays attention to us now

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                If they replace him with ex hockey players, we're all done. Thankfully ESPN pays attention to us now
                Tsn should get all 82. Fuck sportsnet they get every hockey game and 162 Jay's games, and it shows. Tsn puts a way bigger staff and effort into their raptor games
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Tsn should get all 82. Fuck sportsnet they get every hockey game and 162 Jay's games, and it shows. Tsn puts a way bigger staff and effort into their raptor games
                    Yeah and we get 82 games + playoffs of Jack.. instead of Leo. Win-Win

Comment

suspenders wrote: View Post
                      I like Bob.. so this is good news.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

I like Bob.. so this is good news.
                        Same. Generally listen to him every afternoon.

Comment

He must have done something to piss off some suits?

hes the biggest name in Canadian talk sports arguably canadian talk radio and I'm sure has a pretty loyal following In the affluent 35-60 white Male demo
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Well I'm not listening to the Fan anymore.

Comment

radio silence on the radio so far...just the normal show for now

but apparently official

"Bob is an icon in this business and a legend of our format," program director Dave Cadeau said in a statement. "He built sports talk radio in Canada, and we are lucky to have had him on the mic and in the hallways over the last three decades. Bob will be missed but his legacy will remain with us for years to come."
                              https://www.cbc.ca/sports/bob-mccown...ture-1.5183613
                              Last edited by Jclaw; Thu Jun 20, 2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X