Bobcat Fired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeonClark wrote: View Post
    He must have done something to piss off some suits?

hes the biggest name in Canadian talk sports arguably canadian talk radio and I'm sure has a pretty loyal following In the affluent 35-60 white Male demo
    Strange rumour. Curious element is the Bobcat denial tweet...More to this story???

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Well I'm not listening to the Fan anymore.
      My guess is that probably tried to renegotiate his contract, i.e., "back up the Brinks truck".... and Rogers called his bluff.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

My guess is that probably tried to renegotiate his contract, i.e., "back up the Brinks truck".... and Rogers called his bluff.
        Never understood the move a bunch of years ago to move Tim and Sid from the 2-5 slot into the 5-7 slot and put them up against Sportsnet's own biggest ratings grabber (Mccown). It was almost like they said, "hey kids, you watch this channel and old guys, you watch this channel...now we have everyone".Anyways...I guess we should get back to Everything Champions here

Comment

Zak24gege wrote: View Post

Strange rumour. Curious element is the Bobcat denial tweet...More to this story???
          Oops, the show will take a hit. Where will he emerge? Nothing from Bob or Richard on-air yet (4:20pm).

Comment

Oops, the show will take a hit. Where will he emerge? Nothing from Bob or Richard on-air yet (4:20pm).
            Yikes...Did they just pull him off the air live? Was watching on Sportsnet and now they've gone to random basketball highlights. Do they normally do this on prolonged commercial breaks?

Edit: No...they're back....just a long commercial break. Offseason...arghh
            Last edited by Jclaw; Thu Jun 20, 2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post

Yikes...Did they just pull him off the air live? Was watching on Sportsnet and now they've gone to random basketball highlights. Do they normally do this on prolonged commercial breaks?

Edit: No...they're back....just a long commercial break. Offseason...arghh
              Been tuned in for past 2 hrs and nothing yet from Bob...6:12pm.

Comment

He denied retiring, not leaving the Fan590. Maybe moving to TSN1050

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

He denied retiring, not leaving the Fan590. Maybe moving to TSN1050
                  Not a word from Bob on Thursday's show. Today is his last on Fan590 and I'm sure he can't talk about where he will go if it's not a Roger's property. He does own a production co. producing sport documentaries. Everyone and their brother are doing podcasts...find out soon enough.

Comment

I understand that Sportsnet is preparing large layoffs... this is an advance slice. Seems like that massive investment/payout to the NHL for a long term rights deal is hurting the bottom line as revenues have fallen (other than the Raptors which have rocketed). Tim & Sid may benefit and take over that tv/radio slot.

Comment

Sounds like one of his storys. McCown has moved on because of illness. He was sick of Rogers and they were sick of him.
                      Really whats left do for this guy ? He has done it all. Twice. McCowan was the first guy doing sports that changed how we get our sports fix.

He was doing a version of sportscentre on global in the late 80s called Sportsline. 30 minute sports highlight package and a bit of commentary. Not that much commentary but all those highlights. Every game from almost every sport. For context ESPN launched in 1995 at least 5 or 6 years after Sportsline..

The Radio gig started with the Leafs station CKFH. A couple hours of sports talk. Anything. Baseball. Hockey. CFL Football. NFL Football. He made it so popular in a short period of time the station changed formats to all sports and moved down the dial to 590 and became the The Fan. He mostly grew it into what it is today. Always the evening drive slot.

Don't know if he resurfaces or just becomes man about town with guest appearances but a viking war clap for this guy .. Like him or not, for changing how sports fans got their daily fix. He is a sports media HoF'er.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Jun 22, 2019, 09:30 PM.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Don't know if he resurfaces or just becomes man about town with guest appearances but a viking war clap for this guy .. Like him or not, for changing how sports fans got their daily fix. He is a sports media HoF'er.
                        And he makes sure that his listeners hear about this on his show. I was a regular listener. Yes his resume is true ... but he got to be insufferable (for me at least) a few years ago ... quite repetitive with his name dropping and his vineyard promotions (also heard the Tarkanian/Vegas references too many times) and about his business acumen too. Recently when I did switch on the show... he got quite boring (he seemed to be as well).... and he did not treat Tim & Sid very well either.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

And he makes sure that his listeners hear about this on his show. I was a regular listener. Yes his resume is true ... but he got to be insufferable (for me at least) a few years ago ... quite repetitive with his name dropping and his vineyard promotions (also heard the Tarkanian/Vegas references too many times) and about his business acumen too. Recently when I did switch on the show... he got quite boring (he seemed to be as well).... and he did not treat Tim & Sid very well either.
                          As the months wound down there was a lot more “get offa my lawn” segments in the show. The business of sports stuff wasn’t a big thing for me ..but he could get anyone on that show and they would come back. Gary Betman and him were like a cock fight in Tijuana...but Gary came back.

The regulars on the panel were great..Shaky Hunt, Damien Cox, Steven Brunt, Richard Dietsch have been great foils and they don’t wilt. The round table is where he gave mostly TO sports writers a chance at a newer wider audience. He gave lots of air time to Doug Smith, Dave Perkins, Bob Elliot and the like. He never gave it to Cathal Kelly or Bruce Aurthur though. Not sure why..Maybe he didn’t care for the constant negatives in their styles.

30 years is a long time...Sports talk radio isn’t going away but for now anyway it has lost one of the best behind the mic.
                          Tim and Sid are unlikely to replace him as they have their own demographic. Blair to me is meh as he takes minutes to build, frame and finally ask a question. It’s gotta be different...maybe Strombo ..It’d be different. It has to be. No one can replace the guy who built the franchise.

- TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

As the months wound down there was a lot more “get offa my lawn” segments in the show. The business of sports stuff wasn’t a big thing for me ..but he could get anyone on that show and they would come back. Gary Betman and him were like a cock fight in Tijuana...but Gary came back.

The regulars on the panel were great..Shaky Hunt, Damien Cox, Steven Brunt, Richard Dietsch have been great foils and they don’t wilt. The round table is where he gave mostly TO sports writers a chance at a newer wider audience. He gave lots of air time to Doug Smith, Dave Perkins, Bob Elliot and the like. He never gave it to Cathal Kelly or Bruce Aurthur though. Not sure why..Maybe he didn’t care for the constant negatives in their styles.

30 years is a long time...Sports talk radio isn’t going away but for now anyway it has lost one of the best behind the mic.
                            Tim and Sid are unlikely to replace him as they have their own demographic. Blair to me is meh as he takes minutes to build, frame and finally ask a question. It’s gotta be different...maybe Strombo ..It’d be different. It has to be. No one can replace the guy who built the franchise.

True. I really did not have an issue with the sports content and yes he was a pioneer no doubt. It was more his abrasive personality along with a knowitall ethos he projected even on subjects he was out of his depth/narrow on (music, food, gaming to name some)... i.e. his come across personality is what tuned me off I suppose ... and when there were other options (like RR lol) it became easier to do the wean.

There had to be a business reason why this happened though. Was it diminishing ratings? I dont think the show was a cash cow anymore.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

True. I really did not have an issue with the sports content and yes he was a pioneer no doubt. It was more his abrasive personality along with a knowitall ethos he projected even on subjects he was out of his depth/narrow on (music, food, gaming to name some)... i.e. his come across personality is what tuned me off I suppose ... and when there were other options (like RR lol) it became easier to do the wean.

There had to be a business reason why this happened though. Was it diminishing ratings? I dont think the show was a cash cow anymore.
                              I'm wondering how much more complicated it is than he made a lot of money and Rogers is getting killed on this NHL deal. There are also rumors of big layoffs coming at Sportsnet, too.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

I'm wondering how much more complicated it is than he made a lot of money and Rogers is getting killed on this NHL deal. There are also rumors of big layoffs coming at Sportsnet, too.
                                Entirely possible...
                                Rogers makes their money off wireless and their cash cow is cable....
                                The media division which sportsnet and mccowan fell into isn't really rogers strong suit. Never has been. Never will be. .
                                Each CEO from Nazer Mohammed to the Brit they whacked almost as fast as they hired him to the Telus boy Joe Natale doesn't understand media.
                                Wireless yes... Media no.
                                Mistakes aplenty are attached to Rogers Media..... Is this one ? Time will tell.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X