Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This from a couple weeks ago before the XFL was officially announced:
    While a thriving spring league in the U.S. might provide competition for CFL teams looking to lock up their stars in the long term, we’re a long, long way off from that actually happening.

And it’s not as if the people around the CFL haven’t heard this all before, anyways.

“You go through this almost every other year, it seems, with a startup football league” Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM Kyle Walters said Wednesday. “You pay attention, but it doesn’t change your day-to-day operations, that’s for sure.

“When you come into contact with agents who might want to bring that up, you can certainly talk about the recent history of start-up leagues versus the CFL, and where do you want to send your player?”
    “We’re going to watch it, obviously,” CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said. “You never want to be blindsided by something because you haven’t paid attention to it. We’re going to watch to see if it unfolds, how it might unfold, what it might look like if it unfolded and we’re going to do the best we can to understand those things.

“I’m completely aware, as are my colleagues on the board, but today I can’t really say much because nothing has surfaced to give us any real insight.”
    “Every time there’s talk of a new league that’s coming up, it’s a discussion we have, but until something is concrete I don’t put a lot of stock into it,” B.C. Lions GM Ed Hervey said. “We’re looking for players who want the opportunity right now, and (the CFL is) the opportunity right now.

“So, anyone who wants to play right now, we’re your choice. If you want to wait, obviously go ahead and wait, but waiting wastes time in my opinion.”
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...-return-of-xfl

Comment

• He Hate Me

Remember Jared Lorenzen?

The former Giants quarterback, who starred at Kentucky before joining the NFL and eventually playing independent league football at a whopping 320 pounds, has said in the past that he's a big fan of the nicknames people bestowed upon him after watching him play.

"I love them. I absolutely love them," Lorenzen said back in 2014. "I was listening to some of your other ones [like] The Abominable Throwman. All of these, I love them. I was given them in college and there were websites dedicated to these things."

Well, now Lorenzen, who had previously chosen the "Hefty Lefty" as his favorite moniker, thinks he might have another comeback in him after news of the XFL's return came out on Thursday. The XFL was known for having nicknames like "He Hate Me" featured on its jerseys during its first run, and Lorenzen suggested a Hall of Fame-worthy nickname for himself if he's signed up to play:

jared lorenzen
      @JaredLorenzen22
      Well well well, how are you doing over there @VinceMcMahon and @alphaentllc? I see you may be looking for some athletes. I got ya. May be I do have 1 more comeback left me. #HeAteMe

11:28 AM - Jan 25, 2018

He Ate Me!

Vince, if you're not going to let Lorenzen play, at least put him in charge of coming up with nicknames for every player on the field in XFL 2.0.
      Perfect league for Johnny "Iditotface" Football, Greg Hardy and maybe even Josh Gordon if he relapses this offseason.

I could see the XFL doing a little better than the last go, given the current climate of the NFL and all it's drama the past 2 years.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
        He Hate Me

Perfect league for Johnny "Iditotface" Football, Greg Hardy and maybe even Josh Gordon if he relapses this offseason.

I could see the XFL doing a little better than the last go, given the current climate of the NFL and all it's drama the past 2 years.
        Vince says that anyone who has a criminal record will not be permitted to be apart of this league. They're doing the polar opposite of the last version of the league, making it a family friendly product which will be formulated over the next couple years based on what fans tell them. Listening to the customer, what a wild idea. lol

Also, it starts after the NFL playoffs and so they're not directly competing with anyone in that market right out of the gate. Another smart move.
        Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jan 26, 2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Wow, Bills C Eric Wood has suffered a career-ending neck injury. He's done

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
            Wow, Bills C Eric Wood has suffered a career-ending neck injury. He's done
            Pretty crazy to go into a post-season physical and find out your career is over. That's gotta be tough to take.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              Vince says that anyone who has a criminal record will not be permitted to be apart of this league. They're doing the polar opposite of the last version of the league, making it a family friendly product which will be formulated over the next couple years based on what fans tell them. Listening to the customer, what a wild idea. lol

Also, it starts after the NFL playoffs and so they're not directly competing with anyone in that market right out of the gate. Another smart move.
              Yea, I was hearing more about this on the radio today. Vince was asked about guys like Manziel, Tebow and Kaep - he said if a guy has even a DUI he's not going to play in the league. He said Tebow could definitely play if he wants, I guess Manziel is likely out...

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                Yea, I was hearing more about this on the radio today. Vince was asked about guys like Manziel, Tebow and Kaep - he said if a guy has even a DUI he's not going to play in the league. He said Tebow could definitely play if he wants, I guess Manziel is likely out...
                You have to admire his determination. While he started out with a golden opportunity, he's an example of the amazing things that hard work and determination can bring you in life.

Comment

You have to admire his determination. While he started out with a golden opportunity, he's an example of the amazing things that hard work and determination can bring you in life.
                  Wait... you talking about Vince, Tebow or Manziel? lol i believe its Tebow

Comment

• No, Vince.

Comment

• Well a week to go before the big game...
                      If the Eagles are going to win this its going to be with their defense. Their DC has to dial up the pressure a bit more than the Jax DC did. To beat the Pats you are going to have to get to Brady. Can't blitz all day but have to do it more than the Jags did....

Their front 4 is everybit as good as Jax's .. maybe better and Jax had them on the ropes.....Couldn't finish them off. If the Philly line can dominate the o line of the pats they have a good chance to win....
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• SuperBowl memes are on point this year

Comment

• Great game so far.

Comment

Great game so far.
                            We said the same thing at the half last year....

Eagles look really good though. No defence in sight yet.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• This one doesn't seem so "wrapped up". Hopefully the Eagles come out playing to win instead of playing not to lose. I love this Foles storyline. I hope he holds off Brady.

Comment

• Damn, I'm really surprised that TD wasn't overturned.

Comment

Working...
                                X