Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Gridiron

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apollo wrote: View Post
    If they bite the bullet(huge guaranteed money) and cut him there will be a half dozen teams calling immediately. I could see him going to Tampa or maybe Houston or Tennessee. Heck, the NYC Jets and Buffalo might be at the head of the line. Geno and Vick are not the answer in NYC and who knows if Orton is back next year.
    better off trading him for a late round draft pick, won't owe him any money and he's gone like they wanted.

    insane to think a guy like cutler would be in this state
    @sweatpantsjer

    Comment


    • I don't know if I give the pick when i can wait and not have to pay him $15-20M/yr on his current contract and instead sign him to something reasonable without having to go through the awkward process of negotiating a large pay cut with him.

      Comment


      • thing is, you don't necessarily know if you can wait, especially with SO many qb needy teams.
        @sweatpantsjer

        Comment


        • This upcoming draft has some great prospects. If I'm a GM I'm not going to wreck my cap for Jay Cutler.

          Comment


          • Apollo wrote: View Post
            This upcoming draft has some great prospects. If I'm a GM I'm not going to wreck my cap for Jay Cutler.
            Agreed. Better to take a cheap flier on a Kyle Orton like option that saddle your future to that contract.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

            If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

            Comment


            • Yeah, Orton would be a great option if you take a QB early in the draft. You get a capable short term QB and a mentor.

              Comment


              • Apollo wrote: View Post
                Yeah, Orton would be a great option if you take a QB early in the draft. You get a capable short term QB and a mentor.
                Doesn't even need to necessarily be Orton. There are always a few journeyman guys who could be had for cheap, and who could succeed in the right situation.

                Just off the top of my head: Jason Campbell (felt he didn't get a fair shake after he got hurt leading Oakland), Derek Anderson (in Carolina as backup now), Matt Cassel (Bridgewater era has begun), Drew Stanton (not sure his contract status with Arizona but played well enough when Palmer went down).
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                Comment


                • eh that's certainly true, but if you're a guy like Whisenhunt who's a QB guru and wants a dynamic, vertical offense, you'd think he'd be more entied by the upside of a cutler over the "steadiness" of a guy like Orton
                  @sweatpantsjer

                  Comment


                  • Axel wrote: View Post
                    Doesn't even need to necessarily be Orton. There are always a few journeyman guys who could be had for cheap, and who could succeed in the right situation.

                    Just off the top of my head: Jason Campbell (felt he didn't get a fair shake after he got hurt leading Oakland), Derek Anderson (in Carolina as backup now), Matt Cassel (Bridgewater era has begun), Drew Stanton (not sure his contract status with Arizona but played well enough when Palmer went down).
                    Ok, in regards to those other guys, if the objective is to win (and it should because NFL owners have close to zero tolerance when it comes to losing coaches) then you don't want any of those guys starting for you all season.

                    Some other guys to add to your list who are worth bringing in for a workout or discussing a trade for:
                    • Chad Henne
                    • Mark Sanchez
                    • Mike Vick


                    If you don't care about winning then add:
                    • Christian Ponder
                    • Brian Hoyer


                    ceez wrote: View Post
                    eh that's certainly true, but if you're a guy like Whisenhunt who's a QB guru and wants a dynamic, vertical offense, you'd think he'd be more entied by the upside of a cutler over the "steadiness" of a guy like Orton
                    I don't think enough to eat that contract.

                    Comment


                    • ceez wrote: View Post
                      eh that's certainly true, but if you're a guy like Whisenhunt who's a QB guru and wants a dynamic, vertical offense, you'd think he'd be more entied by the upside of a cutler over the "steadiness" of a guy like Orton
                      I would honesty prefer to take a cheap option like Campbell and use the cap space to add talent to other areas than take the risk of Cutler with that contract. If you take Cutler, then it's going to cost you in other positions and I don't think he's a safe enough bet to do that.

                      Long term, if Campbell doesn't work out, you've built a good foundation and can draft a QB. I think it's very hard to draft a QB and expect them to develop without much else on the roster. Need a solid O-Line at the minimum. Better to have those solid pieces in place and lose because the QB isn't good enough (netting a good draft pick) than to throw a young QB to the wolves and watch him rack up the sacks ala David Carr back in his Houston days.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                      If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                      Comment


                      • Odell Beckham has to be Rookie of The Year. This kid is flat out ridiculous. Wow. He's making Eli Manning relevant again.

                        Comment


                        • i said before the season began that mike evans and beckham would be the best receivers in the draft and people MOCKED me
                          @sweatpantsjer

                          Comment


                          • Bend the defense like Beckham

                            I'm not sure why they would do that. Those guys both went really high in the first round.

                            Sammy Watkins is a stud too and unlike Mike Evans, he doesn't have a guy on the other side of the field who is good enough to warrant a double team, who can win jump balls in a crowd and who can blow the top off the defense on any given play if they don't try to contain him.

                            Anyway, Beckham is far and away better than both of them on this level so far. If not for the injury early in the season he would be on pace for 158 targets, 115 receptions, 1629 yards and 16 TD. To put that into context, it would be 14th all-time, only 3 yards shy of Rany Moss' greatest yardage season(13th all-time) and 17 yards short of Josh Gordon's 2013 league leading season(10th all-time)... And next year the G-men will have Cruz back so if teams try to double of triple Beckham they will pay big time from Cruz who is poised now for a major comeback season.

                            Comment


                            • What the heck Bucs are doing here... They don't want that No.1 pick I guess. They can't do anything right. LOL.

                              EDIT: Whew.
                              Last edited by rocwell; Sun Dec 28th, 2014, 04:24 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Yeah, now they just need to try not to blow the first pick.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X