Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    How many QB's can you name me that have been successful in the NFL despite going undrafted? I'm thinking Warner, Romo, Garcia in recent times. There is a very low probability that he's any good and if they're starting a sophomore undrafted QB for an extended time this year then chances are people will be getting fired.
    Hmmm.... oddly enough, only some of your post shows up. I see Shaw as a backup QB myself, but I'd rather let him have the reigns in Cleveland over Manziel. I just don't see Johnny doing anything worthy of him starting just yet.
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

How many QB's can you name me that have been successful in the NFL despite going undrafted? I'm thinking Warner, Romo, Garcia in recent times. There is a very low probability that he's any good and if they're starting a sophomore undrafted QB for an extended time this year then chances are people will be getting fired.

QB is the highest priority position in football and its a tough sell to say you burned your first rounder the year prior on a bust. First rounders are supposed to be locks in the NFL. Johnny Football shows up this year and starts in week one, book it.
      and is benched by week 5.

Manziel was a terrible first round pick. Guy didn't have the maturity but also isn't exactly a lock for the all physical stuff either. Manziel wasn't a lock to succeed even if he did have his head on tight, which he obviously didn't. He's a guy who has always gotten away with a lot, and I just don't think the Browns GM and HC can afford to give him enough time to get it all together (which may never happen). At 5' 11, he's shorter than ideal; which isn't an issue for cerebral QBs like Brees, but has anyone ever confused Manziel with a Rhodes Scholar?

Then there is all the stuff from last season (flipping off Washington fans in the preseason, teammates openly questioning his work ethic and calling the rookie season "100% a joke").

Just don't see him putting it together. Not on the Browns.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• i still can't believe Jameis went first overall
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          and is benched by week 5.

Manziel was a terrible first round pick. Guy didn't have the maturity but also isn't exactly a lock for the all physical stuff either. Manziel wasn't a lock to succeed even if he did have his head on tight, which he obviously didn't. He's a guy who has always gotten away with a lot, and I just don't think the Browns GM and HC can afford to give him enough time to get it all together (which may never happen). At 5' 11, he's shorter than ideal; which isn't an issue for cerebral QBs like Brees, but has anyone ever confused Manziel with a Rhodes Scholar?

Then there is all the stuff from last season (flipping off Washington fans in the preseason, teammates openly questioning his work ethic and calling the rookie season "100% a joke").

Just don't see him putting it together. Not on the Browns.
          I see him turning it around. Going into rehab for two month is no joke. He's conceded that he blew his rookie season, admitting his faults which is another big step forward. He's now had teammates come out and endorse him as well. He's been busy turning things around since the season ended, he's shown no sign of taking things lightly since embarrassing himself. It strikes as someone with a chip on his shoulder now.

The man wasn't billed as a pocket passer, he's a mobile QB who makes plays out of the pocket but who has enough arm to hang in the pocket when need be. Josh McCown is taking them nowhere and an undrafted third stringer isn't getting the nod.

Russell Wilson and Doug Flutie are also QBs around his size.

One scenario people aren't considering is that the Browns are intentionally scaring the shit out of him to get him on the rails. Scared straight. That's what see, intentionally or not.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• So, the NY Jets is my team. Along with the Raptors there have been very very few joyful moments.

You can stop snickering now.

I see there are a few seemingly hardcore NFL followers here so re the draft.... what did you all think of their selections this weekend.

They obviously got lucky with Williams but unlike other years past they actually accepted the "gift"!

But with a new GM & coach hope abounds again. Dont expect much from the QB position yet so there is that but the defense is going to be pretty dangerous.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              So, the NY Jets is my team. Along with the Raptors there have been very very few joyful moments.

I see there are a few seemingly hardcore NFL followers here so re the draft.... what did you all think of their selections this weekend.

They obviously got lucky with Williams but unlike other years past they actually accepted the "gift"!

But with a new GM & coach hope abounds again. Dont expect much from the QB position yet so there is that but the defense is going to be pretty dangerous.
              The Jets have undergone a lot of big changes as of late. I'm not sure how they respond to it all. They might be a year away from putting something decent together but on paper they look to be moving in the right direction.

Comment

• the jets are weird because if they had good QB everyone would be talking about them being a contender but...
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I see him turning it around. Going into rehab for two month is no joke. He's conceded that he blew his rookie season, admitting his faults which is another big step forward. He's now had teammates come out and endorse him as well. He's been busy turning things around since the season ended, he's shown no sign of taking things lightly since embarrassing himself. It strikes as someone with a chip on his shoulder now.

The man wasn't billed as a pocket passer, he's a mobile QB who makes plays out of the pocket but who has enough arm to hang in the pocket when need be. Josh McCown is taking them nowhere and an undrafted third stringer isn't getting the nod.

Russell Wilson and Doug Flutie are also QBs around his size.

One scenario people aren't considering is that the Browns are intentionally scaring the shit out of him to get him on the rails. Scared straight. That's what see, intentionally or not.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
                  Russell Wilson and Doug Flutie were both pros pros though. Big gap between them and Manziel.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Yeah, no doubt but I believe people can change and can be redeemed. I think the rehab was Johnny Football's turning point. If that didn't wake him up he's out of the league soon.

Comment

So, the NY Jets is my team. Along with the Raptors there have been very very few joyful moments.

Overall, fairly meh. Williams was fantastic and allows them to potentially reap future assets with a trade but otherwise, not any move the needle players brought in. Probably a safe draft.

The trade for Stacey is interesting since the committee there is already fairly deep and Stacey doesn't seem particularily better than anyone they already have.

Interesting that the Jets fired a bunch of scouts AFTER the draft. Sketchy practice in my opinion.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Overall, fairly meh. Williams was fantastic and allows them to potentially reap future assets with a trade but otherwise, not any move the needle players brought in. Probably a safe draft.

The trade for Stacey is interesting since the committee there is already fairly deep and Stacey doesn't seem particularily better than anyone they already have.

Interesting that the Jets fired a bunch of scouts AFTER the draft. Sketchy practice in my opinion.
                        Evaluating a draft immediately after is a bit of an idiotic exercise really....but we all frequently do it as results dont show up at least a season after.

That Stacey acquisition for a 7th was surprising but he went thru a curious couple of yrs. in St. Louis getting RBs selected over him 2 yrs running...brutal.

The scouts firing...I suppose they had a lot of data on the draft the new gm did not want to lose out on. Sketchy practices in the NFL? No!! Seriously though, drafting processes and philosophy would need to mesh with the new gm who I am sure has a crew waiting in the wings.

And now if they can swing a trade for Sam Bradford (leery about his injury history though) the team could give the Patriots a run.

They did spend some money on their defensive backend (Revis & Cromartie)...hope they dont get old too fast.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          the jets are weird because if they had good QB everyone would be talking about them being a contender but...
                          They made a mistake with Sanchez when they drafted him #5 I believe and moved up to do it as well.

Comment

The Jets have undergone a lot of big changes as of late. I'm not sure how they respond to it all. They might be a year away from putting something decent together but on paper they look to be moving in the right direction.
                            My own sense is that just getting rid of their old management team incl. Rex Ryan puts them in a better place with the replacements chosen (I hope!). Re the draft one cannot really say how the chosen will really fare. I recall a beast named Gholston chosen very high 1st rnd who was an absolute bust and even Ryan couldnt do anything with him. I think he's out of the league now.

Comment

My own sense is that just getting rid of their old management team incl. Rex Ryan puts them in a better place with the replacements chosen (I hope!). Re the draft one cannot really say how the chosen will really fare. I recall a beast named Gholston chosen very high 1st rnd who was an absolute bust and even Ryan couldnt do anything with him. I think he's out of the league now.
                              He has been out for 2 years but apparently had a try-out with Washington this spring FWIW.

I think Ryan got a bad deal with the terrible GM who basically removed all talent from the roster for no reason.

Comment

Are they keeping Rex's system or are the changing to something new? If the system changes then that's going to take time to see a reward in my opinion.

I remember when McCarthy came to the Packers. It took him a few years to see positive returns and at first it wasn't much fun to watch besides watching Brett Favre. They didn't stink but they just didn't look like a good football team. Eventually it all came together but it would have taken much longer had they not had a hall of fame QB in Brett Favre carry them on his back for a few years. The man was amazing considering his weapons in comparison to that of Manning, Rodgers, Brees, etc. Favre had almost no one at that time compared to what those guys have had for most their careers.

Anyway, the Jets don't have very good QB options. Geno could be alright on a strong team but not on that team right now; he's not going to bring them back when they're down. The run game has some intriguing additions(ie: Ridley) and I think you'll see them grind it and you'll see lots of slants and some check downs. Stuff like that.

Its funny how the Patriots two former starting RBs found their way to New York and could be starters by mid-season.

Comment

Working...
                                X