No announcement yet.

Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I added more after you quoted me so you might want to double back but here we go:

Axel wrote: View Post
    Considering I had no opinion of Chip Kelly before these moves, not sure that is true.
    All I know is you started off by saying the guy is arrogant. We all try to be unbiased but come on...

NFL rumours are ALWAYS broken. League is too well covered for their to be Masai like silence. If Shady was shopped around, someone would have said something cause someone always does. Hard to believe that Arizona wouldn't have offered multiple picks (which are more valuable than a LB).
    All speculation. We have no idea what happened. You're basing this on unconfirmed rumors about an Arizona and AP connection. Nothing happened there.

ACL injury is no joke. Hopefully Alonso is back and healthy, but nothing is guaranteed. Don't pay for history, buy for future.
    Recent history indicates its very likely to make a full recovery from this injury. Again, the experts looked him over. This isn't the crap-shoot you're suggesting.

Landing Murray was dumb luck as much as anything. Dallas was stupid too, not exactly great team building strategy. If Dallas had done what just about every other team would have done (just resign Murray) then what would Kelly have?
    The Eagles came after him aggressively. I'm not one to speculate but those same rumors your rely on were suggesting the Cowboys were very confident that the system created Murray. It didn't take a rocket scientist to take a look at the Cowboys cap number and realize they'd have to cut somebody they didn't think was a system product to bring back Murray. The Cowboys now only have scrubs and unproven prospects at RB so we'll see how it goes there... But the Eagles, they know what they have and it wasn't luck that brought him there.

Mathews isn't a replacement though. He's always hurt and has been largely a disappointment in the NFL. You can't say that he is a fair value replacement for McCoy. He's a backup option at best.
    Mathews has averaged 4.4 YPC throughout his career, playing in nearly 80% of eligible games. It doesn't matter that he didn't bring the Chargers value for their investment; that's their problem. All that matters to the Eagles is his price tag. He can live up to that as a second stringer. The lighter load means he'll have a greater chance to play more than 80% of his games.

Personally, I won't be investing in McCoy or Murray or Mathews in fantasy football this year unless I'm getting a good deal.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      I added more after you quoted me so you might want to double back but here we go:

All I know is you started off by saying the guy is arrogant. We all try to be unbiased but come on...
      Technically it was the last thing in my post....
      I have no affiliation or interest with any of the teams involved. Completely from an outsider perspective.

Apollo wrote: View Post
      All speculation. We have no idea what happened. You're basing this on unconfirmed rumors about an Arizona and AP connection. Nothing happened there.
      I'm basing it off of history and rumours. Star players don't often get traded, but a single LB coming off an ACL tear does not equal a leading rusher RB.

Recent history indicates its very likely to make a full recovery from this injury. Again, the experts looked him over. This isn't the crap-shoot you're suggesting.
      Not a crap shoot, but you don't buy high on injured players.

The Eagles came after him aggressively. I'm not one to speculate but those same rumors your rely on were suggesting the Cowboys were very confident that the system created Murray. It didn't take a rocket scientist to take a look at the Cowboys cap number and realize they'd have to cut somebody they didn't think was a system product to bring back Murray. The Cowboys now only have scrubs and unproven prospects at RB so we'll see how it goes there...
      Rumours on trade talks aren't exactly the same thing as rumours about a belief. Trade talks are either real or not. Beliefs are completely subjective.

Mathews has averaged 4.4 YPC throughout his career, playing in nearly 80% of eligible games. It doesn't matter that he didn't bring the Chargers value for his investment. All that matters to the Eagles is his price tag. He can live up to that as a second stringer.
      Excatly, a back-up. You do not trade your top RB without a solid return, and then bank on a back-up to carry the load. Lucky to land Murray.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Apollo, let's put it this way....would you trade Leveon Bell to my in Dynasty for CJ Mosley?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          Excatly, a back-up. You do not trade your top RB without a solid return, and then bank on a back-up to carry the load. Lucky to land Murray.
          Why were they lucky? The Cowboys let it be known that they weren't going to pay Murray anything close to what his agent viewed his value. He was essentially a UFA. No luck there, it was more skill, planning and risk assessment.

Apollo, let's put it this way....would you trade Leveon Bell to my in Dynasty for CJ Mosley?
          No but the Eagles are in a better position than the Bills or Cowboys or Chargers right now.

Comment

• Do you think Thompson/McCarthy would make that deal?

I don't think Ozzie would, and those are the gold standard in Front Offices in the NFL.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Do you think Thompson/McCarthy would make that deal?

I don't think Ozzie would, and those are the gold standard in Front Offices in the NFL.
              It doesn't matter what the Packers would or wouldn't do. Champions can be built in various ways. Gambling is involved for all clubs in some form.

Comment

It doesn't matter what the Packers would or wouldn't do. Champions can be built is various ways. Gambling is involved for all clubs in some form.
                lol that sounds like a no to me.

Comment

• Well look at the Patriots. They're the model for going against the grain. They've cut big names for absolutely nothing. It's worked for them. They didn't win all four with Brady through video cameras and deflated footballs.

Comment

Well look at the Patriots. They're the model for going against the grain. They've cut big names for absolutely nothing. It's worked for them. They didn't win all four with Brady through video cameras and deflated footballs.
                    They go against the grain, but they also put a lot of value on asset management. Finding a player that you value less than the general market or vice versa is the whole point. I don't see Kelly doing that as much as he's getting rid of players he doesn't value, but forgetting to take the league perception of that player into account.

Straight cutting Desean Jackson the year before is another example.

Comment

• Yet they keep getting better despite your disapproval.

Comment

• Oh those Patriots...the model org.

The Deflate-gate report is out.....

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/...port-published

Comment

• Golden Boy to Be Suspended

It’s difficult to predict the discipline will be imposed as a result of the Ted Wells report without knowing who will be imposing it. (More on that in a later blurb.) But it’s clear based on the conclusions and other observations in the Wells report that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady faces a likely suspension.

As to the incident at the heart of the case, Ted Wells has concluded that “it is more probable than not that Tom Brady . . . was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities . . . involving the release of air from Patriots game balls.” While the “more probable than not” standard already has been twisted by those inclined to downplay the situation (including Brady’s father, who warped “probable” into “possible”), the phrase is a reflection of the standard of proof necessary for determining that the rules regarding the integrity of the game were violated.

For Brady, there’s another problem; he refused to fully cooperate with the investigation. As the NFL’s Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules states, “Failure to cooperate in an investigation shall be considered conduct detrimental to the League and will subject the offending club and responsible individual(s) to appropriate discipline.”

That shouldn’t be a surprise. In any workplace investigation, there’s one clear and unmistakable principle: Employees must cooperate with the process by providing truthful and accurate information relevant to the investigation.

In this case, Brady submitted to an interview, but he “declined to make available any documents or electronic information (including text messages and email) that [Wells] requested, even though those requests were limited to the subject matter of [the] investigation (such as messages concerning the preparation of game balls, air pressure of balls, inflation of balls or deflation of balls).”

One popular theory/rationalization that has emerged in the wake of this news is that Brady may have had private information that he didn’t want Wells and his team of investigators to see. But the Wells report explains that “we offered to allow Brady’s counsel to screen and control the production so that it would be limited strictly to responsive materials and would not involve our taking possession of Brady’s telephone or other electronic devices.”

The contents of the text messages provided by John Jastremski and Jim McNally demonstrate how valuable those communications can be in getting to the truth. If the Patriots had stonewalled Wells regarding the Jastremski and McNally texts, it would have been a lot harder for Wells to conclude that something fishy had been occurring. So it’s no surprise that Wells described Brady’s actions as “not helpful” to the investigation.

We’re all now left to wonder how helpful the information from Brady may have been. In a case that lacks a smoking gun, it’s not crazy to think that the smoking gun resides somewhere on Tom Brady’s cell phone.
                          In a league that routinely suspends players for smoking marijuana and/or engaging in off-duty behavior that has no direct impact on the integrity of the playing of the game of football, how can the NFL not suspend Brady for his general awareness of the deflation scheme and for deliberately refusing to provide information that may have made his involvement even more obvious?
                          http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-unavoidable/

Josh Gordon may never play again because he smoked weed. Brady cheats the game and doesn't cooperate with the investigation and he'll likely get a game off and a small fine. That is of course unless the NFL learned anything over the last year. If they really want to send a strong message they should tell him to take the season off. I guarantee you no one will do this again or fail to cooperate with investigations if that is the precedent. It will also send the message that the league hold integrity above all else.

Pete Rose got banned for life for gambling while playing MLB. This isn't as bad as that but we do not know how long this was going on.

Comment

• Bill Polian's Take:

"All you can do is point to the precedent for integrity of the game violations," Hall of Fame former general manager Bill Polian, a member of the competition committee for 19 years, told USA TODAY Sports. "(Team president) Rich McKay with the Falcons had no knowledge of any involvement with (pumped-in artificial crowd noise into the Georgia Dome). Yet he was still suspended (from the competition committee), and they lost a draft pick.

"The (New Orleans Saints coach) Sean Payton (year-long) Bountygate suspension. And the ... suspension (four games for general manager Ray Farmer for illegally texting to the sideline) in the Browns' case. In two of the three cases, there was complete cooperation.

"In this case, there's some hint of non-cooperation. And it is a serious violation. It's been a long-standing principle in the league that the closer you get to the white line, the more serious the violation is. And this is one that is clearly between the white lines."

Polian served on the very competition committee which voted in 2006 to allow quarterbacks to break in footballs during practice before using them on game days.

"They were allowed to practice with the footballs and rough them up so that the sheen that is on the ball when it came out of the box was removed," he said. "And if they practice with the footballs, they're comfortable with them.

"No one on the competition committee had thought there was an issue at all with that. Clearly, until now, there hasn't been."
                            "He was uncooperative with Wells, or at least not as cooperative as he could have been," Polian said of the Patriots quarterback. "Mr. Wells notes that. The Patriot attorneys would not allow one of these employees who deflated the footballs to go back for a second interview. That's a bit out of the ordinary.

"The punishment is not as important as the findings."
                            http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ttee/70933798/

Figuratively:

Comment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-unavoidable/

Josh Gordon may never play again because he smoked weed. Brady cheats the game and doesn't cooperate with the investigation and he'll likely get a game off and a small fine. That is of course unless the NFL learned anything over the last year. If they really want to send a strong message they should tell him to take the season off. I guarantee you no one will do this again or fail to cooperate with investigations if that is the precedent. It will also send the message that the league hold integrity above all else.

Pete Rose got banned for life for gambling while playing MLB. This isn't as bad as that but we do not know how long this was going on.
                              I found the actual report even more damning for Brady than how it's portrayed in some media pieces I've read.

Definitely sounds like Brady was involved and perhaps paid off these guys with memorabilia autographed by Brady.

The team was found largely innocent, but they did fail to produce the two key witnesses for follow-up questioning. This request was denied by Patriots legal counsel and appears that they didn't even pass along the request to the witness; demonstrating some willful attempt to prevent the investigation. For this reason, the team should likely be punished as well.

I wonder if Goodell uses this case as an attempt to get back into the good graces of public perception. Everyone outside of New England is calling for heavy sanctions, so coming down hard would go a long way to appeasing the general fan base of the NFL. Real wild card is what other NFL owners/teams feel. The Polian take is great, but now he is removed, so not quite the same thing. Would love to hear from Irsay, Jones, Biscotti, etc.

Comment

• For what it's worth:
                                The small tidbit of news I can offer is that the NFL is weighing a suspension of New England quarterback Tom Brady that could span up to one season. "Everything is being studied, everything is being considered," an NFL source with knowledge of the disciplinary procedure told me Wednesday night.

The source said it would be wrong to think a season-long suspension will absolutely be the punishment doled out because that decision had not been finalized at the time of our conversation. But he also said it would be wrong to dismiss such an extended and seemingly improbable length of time as the ceiling for discipline.

The source declined to give a discipline floor, or the most lenient discipline Brady is facing. Interestingly, the source did not mention possible discipline for New England coach Bill Belichick or owner Robert Kraft.
                                http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...onsidered.html

What you really have on Brady, if you read Wells’ report, is what is known as a “non-analytic positive” in baseball. Remember that there was no positive test for Alex Rodriguez in Major League Baseball’s Biogenesis case. But there was enough evidence against Rodriguez — once we believed nothing the guy said, now we’re supposed to believe everything — and the rest of the drug cheats from Biogenesis, a mountain of evidence, that they all got suspended, Rodriguez for 162 games.
                                http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2213198

One of the guys over at the Denver Post(video) thinks he deserve a full season, I agree as said previously: http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...s-qb-tom-brady

Comment

Working...
                                X