No announcement yet.

Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Bradford out (knee) today for the Vikings. Case Keenum to start at QB.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Ravens All-Pro Guard (and arguably the best offensive lineman in the league) out for the season after fracturing his ankle today. Huge loss for them.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Ravens All-Pro Guard (and arguably the best offensive lineman in the league) out for the season after fracturing his ankle today. Huge loss for them.
        Tyron Smith plays for the Cowboys!

Any see Troy Aikman today? He's high af in that Mile High city haha

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
          Tyron Smith plays for the Cowboys!

Any see Troy Aikman today? He's high af in that Mile High city haha
          I did say arguably but I would take Yanda over Smith for the record. Yanda can basically play all 5 spots on the line at an elite level. With the amount of injuries in football, that versatility gives me the edge in the debate for me.

Comment

• BOSTON (CBS) — Through two weeks of the 2017 season, NFL offenses are on a historically low pace. Touchdowns and points are both down from the same point in 2016, and the issue could end up going far beyond just one year.

With Week 2 in the books, NFL teams have scored 132 total touchdowns so far in 2017, or 2.13 per team per game. That’s down from 2.44 touchdowns per game through two weeks last season. Points are also down, as teams are averaging 20.1 per game as opposed to 22.6 in 2016. When the scoring has been high it’s typically been on one side, as 14 of 32 games so far have been won by 14 or more points.

Teams ended up with 2.55 touchdowns per game in 2016, so some improvement is to be expected. But even if scoring increases at the same rate as last season, teams would average about 2.23 touchdowns per game by the end of the 2017 season.

Barring a more drastic jump, that would be the lowest touchdown average since (wait for it) the 1993 season, when teams averaged 2.02 touchdowns and 18.7 points per game. Steve Young led the league in passer rating (101.5) and passing touchdowns (29) that year.

It’s too early to tell if the current dip in scoring will last, or to know whether 2017 is just an outlier or a harbinger of a steep decline across the NFL. And it’s nearly impossible to pinpoint a singular reason as to why the points are falling off.

Quarterbacks and passing games could be blamed. Passer ratings are astronomical compared to 1993, as Drew Brees’ 102.0 rating (10th in NFL) would have led the league in 1993, but the total passing yards per game (220.7) so far are off the pace from 241.5 per game last season.

Another issue that has been pointed to is offensive line play. Through two weeks in 2017, only two offensive linemen in the entire league have graded as “Elite” according to Pro Football Focus: Falcons center Alex Mack and Steelers guard David DeCastro. Even the vaunted Cowboys offensive line, which features three former first-round picks, has averaged a poor 59.6 grade.

It also could have little to nothing to do with the offenses in the first place. Perhaps defenses are simply catching up, effectively counteracting the scoring jump seen in recent seasons. Considering the abundance of sub-packages and smaller units you’re seeing these days, defenses have certainly become faster and more skilled.

But forget the players; it could simply be the coaches. After Bill Belichick as the obvious No. 1 choice, it immediately becomes a debate as to who’s No. 2. Top-10, forget it. The lack of effective coaching may also be a byproduct of the league’s reduction in full-pad practices in the preseason, leaving teams less prepared for the start of the season than usual.
            http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/1...hdown-problem/

Comment

• The Ravens are getting their asses whooped.

Comment

• What an up and down season for most teams... can't get any perspective on most teams thus far.

Why isn't Marty B getting any touches or TD's in GB? I thought he'd shine with Rodgers as his QB. maybe with all the RB's going down he'll get some more targets and yards.

Comment

What an up and down season for most teams... can't get any perspective on most teams thus far.

Why isn't Marty B getting any touches or TD's in GB? I thought he'd shine with Rodgers as his QB. maybe with all the RB's going down he'll get some more targets and yards.
                  I too thought he'd be an instant hit but it hasn't worked out that way so far. The Packers may have the best WR trio in football, plus a converted WR as their starting RB. Those guys get most of the attention from Rodgers in the pass game. Bennet hasn't looked like he's fit in well on plays he's not blocking. As well I think he's having to block more in Green Bay because the OL is dinged up. He may come along later in the season but I would not be shocked if this is his level of offensive output for the season unless an injury occurs. Montgomery being questionable for next week may result in a few more targets.

He looks out of place a lot. I think he's having troubles adjusting and fitting into the Packers system. The last TE of his talent level they had was Jermichael Finley but that was eons ago. The system has changed since then.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I too thought he'd be an instant hit but it hasn't worked out that way so far. The Packers may have the best WR trio in football, plus a converted WR as their starting RB. Those guys get most of the attention from Rodgers in the pass game. Bennet hasn't looked like he's fit in well on plays he's not blocking. As well I think he's having to block more in Green Bay because the OL is dinged up. He may come along later in the season but I would not be shocked if this is his level of offensive output for the season unless an injury occurs. Montgomery being questionable for next week may result in a few more targets.

He looks out of place a lot. I think he's having troubles adjusting and fitting into the Packers system. The last TE of his talent level they had was Jermichael Finley but that was eons ago. The system has changed since then.
                    Even Finley had a rough go his last couple seasons there if i remember correctly, then he just faded out. JerMajesty, JerHighness and JerGrace didn't even sniff the field afterwards.

Broncos and Raiders should be a good matchup in the late afternoon game. I wonder what the No Fly Zone has in store for Crabtree and Cooper.... they couldn't do anything vs the Skins and Carr was brutal. With the way this season has gone, it wouldn't surprise me to see them light it up, but Denver is a different animal at home.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      The Ravens are getting their asses whooped.
                      Losing Williams is a huge hit. He is their defensive line of scrimmage. Without him, they will really struggle again.

Comment

• Huge game before heading into the Bye week for Dallas this week. A win over the dreaded Packers would be a big boost of confidence.

I still think if Switzer didn't fumble that punt last week vs the Rams that game would've ended much differently, and in favor of the Cowboys. It was just the beginning of the end after that play and they never recovered. 3-1 is just a way better spot to be in than 2-2...

I'm looking forward to Chiefs and Texans on Sunday night as well. Deshaun Watson back on primetime, should be good. I think the Texans will stop the Chiefs this week in a tight one - too much to not enough.

Comment

Huge game before heading into the Bye week for Dallas this week. A win over the dreaded Packers would be a big boost of confidence.

I still think if Switzer didn't fumble that punt last week vs the Rams that game would've ended much differently, and in favor of the Cowboys. It was just the beginning of the end after that play and they never recovered. 3-1 is just a way better spot to be in than 2-2...

I'm looking forward to Chiefs and Texans on Sunday night as well. Deshaun Watson back on primetime, should be good. I think the Texans will stop the Chiefs this week in a tight one - too much to not enough.
                          I'm excited for this one!

Comment

• EDIT:

Last edited by rocwell; Mon Oct 9, 2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• What a brutal day. Injuries today... damn.

Comment

• Well Mack, last night was some entertaining football. The 'boys made a huge mistake last night by not running down the clock more.

Comment

Working...
                                X