No announcement yet.

Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I don't see how they're taking a step forward when they lost arguably the best RB in the league and certainly the best WR in the league.

rocwell wrote: View Post
    obj to lebron town
    What the Browns are doing is very unlike the Browns, excellent deal for them. The Baker/Odell combo should be lethal.

The Jets are signing Le'Veon Bell. He's not getting going to hit $14M/year but he gets his $30M guaranteed money so I call this a success when considering his personal goals; how he would define success based on what he did in the last year.

Comment

• RIP Cedric Benson.

Comment

• So as a card carrying member of St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes, I may be about to be rewarded for my decades long dedication to the Bills.
        The defensive side of the ball looks to be in the top quartile. Allen is still a work in progress and the wideouts are still at or below league average but ..and it’s a revelation...the O Line looks to be waaaaaaaaaaay better than last years Ole pass and run blockers. When you have a good OLine..you have a chance in the NFL. They erase mistakes.

Its only August..but the Bills with that defense look to be in the mix for a wild card slot. They have to go 10 up and 6 down to get it..but it’s within sight.

On a a somber note Andrew Luck showing his Stanford education has called it a career. My biased view is that he got some medical advice that was sobering. Luck was every bit the player Aaron Rodgers is. You have to support the decision and know hat he will be one of the guys in the “what if” discussions over a drink with fans.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          So as a card carrying member of St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes, I may be about to be rewarded for my decades long dedication to the Bills.
          The defensive side of the ball looks to be in the top quartile. Allen is still a work in progress and the wideouts are still at or below league average but ..and it’s a revelation...the O Line looks to be waaaaaaaaaaay better than last years Ole pass and run blockers. When you have a good OLine..you have a chance in the NFL. They erase mistakes.

Its only August..but the Bills with that defense look to be in the mix for a wild card slot. They have to go 10 up and 6 down to get it..but it’s within sight.

On a a somber note Andrew Luck showing his Stanford education has called it a career. My biased view is that he got some medical advice that was sobering. Luck was every bit the player Aaron Rodgers is. You have to support the decision and know hat he will be one of the guys in the “what if” discussions over a drink with fans.
          Ha... you are not the only one who looks to St. Jude ... I too have been a long sufferer on past many Sundays being a follower of the NY Jets. The only occasion I felt they had a chance was when facing your Bills!!

Preseason isnt for me but from the news both teams seem to be on a more desirable track but I hesitate to get too excited until at least 5-6 games to better evaluate chances of at least a .500 season.

Good for Andrew Luck... glad he made the choice. I am sure the painkillers were having it's toll as well. With all of his injury history becoming addicted as a result of chronic pain can become a distinct possibility. Good luck to him.

Comment

Luck was a good player but that's a huge stretch: QBR, completion %, average TDs/season, turnovers/season and championships all have Rodgers well out in front. The only thing close is passing yards/game.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Luck was a good player but that's a huge stretch: QBR, completion %, average TDs/season, turnovers/season and championships all have Rodgers well out in front. The only thing close is passing yards/game.
              And so it begins......

For me the case for Luck was that he didn’t have the personnel around him that Rogers has had for extended periods of time. Indy’s OLine gave up some real beatings in Lucks first few seasons. He still put the ball in the end zone. The years just before he hurt his shoulder he really put the fear of God into teams when he had his TE from Stanford Fleener and those good wideouts in Hilton and Wayne. They could really go down the field.

Then he got hurt and stayed out those two two years. Last year again without much support he showed how good he was.
              Indy was talking deep run this year with how well Luck played in the back half of last year to get them from last in the South to the second round of the playoffs.

Sad to see him go ....

- TGO

Comment

And so it begins......

For me the case for Luck was that he didn’t have the personnel around him that Rogers has had for extended periods of time. Indy’s OLine gave up some real beatings in Lucks first few seasons. He still put the ball in the end zone. The years just before he hurt his shoulder he really put the fear of God into teams when he had his TE from Stanford Fleener and those good wideouts in Hilton and Wayne. They could really go down the field.

Then he got hurt and stayed out those two two years. Last year again without much support he showed how good he was.
                Indy was talking deep run this year with how well Luck played in the back half of last year to get them from last in the South to the second round of the playoffs.

Sad to see him go ....
                I disagree. Rodgers made a lot of his WRs household names no different than Tom Brady does. He'll make a few more this season.

Luck was talented but he never proved it over a substantial amount of time. And even if the number agreed with you, which they don't, it still wouldn't matter because the key thing all the great NFL players have going for them is longevity and a will to keep playing. Rodgers is one of the most sacked QBs in the league and has had bad injuries. He keeps getting up and coming back stronger.
                Last edited by Apollo; Sun Aug 25, 2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

I disagree. Rodgers made a lot of his WRs household names no different than Tom Brady does. He'll make a few more this season.

Luck was talented but he never proved it over a substantial amount of time. And even if the number agreed with you, which they don't, it still wouldn't matter because the key thing all the great NFL players have going for them is longevity and a will to keep playing. Rodgers is one of the most sacked QBs in the league and has had bad injuries. He keeps getting up and coming back stronger.
                  Very true Brady and Rogers have used their schemes and off the charts release and accuracy to make some wideouts and slotbacks recognizable household names..but the quirky mix of talent, leadership and guts can’t all be captured in QBR.

Luck was a serious talent.

I think he is Rogers good...you say not so fast. One thing for sure is that the NFL has lost a marquee player. Have to think that Andrew Luck if he were an UFA would likely start on most teams in the NFL ahead of their incumbent save for a couple.

The NFL and it’s fans will miss this guy on any given Sunday.
                  - TGO

Comment

• Few week 1 thoughts:

1. That Saints - Texans game last night was fantastic, especially the ending. Could see either of those teams in Miami to end the season.
                    2. Browns and Bears were both over-rated entering week 1 and it showed. I've seen a lot of experts picking the Bears to win the NFC North, but I don't think the Bears offence takes enough strides and the D will regress. I see the Vikings winning the division and then the Packers and Bears are battling for second. If healthy, I take Packers over Bears.
                    3. Lamar Jackson was obviously brilliant and will be again in Week 2 against the Cards. Week 3 vs KC will be their first real test but one stat that needs to be reminded: Of the 34 QBs that played a snap in week 1 - Jackson was one of 5 22 yrs old to play and one of 3 starters at 22. The kid is still learning and growing.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• The Packers have a reloaded defense which is underrated for now. I think the Bears will be very good but they need to work a few things out. They were without Trey Burton and I think he's a very important piece to their offense. They need to get David Montgomery more involved. The Packers didn't given them much space but multiple times he made something out of nothing, his elusiveness is impressive when you consider his size.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Few week 1 thoughts:

1. That Saints - Texans game last night was fantastic, especially the ending. Could see either of those teams in Miami to end the season.
                        2. Browns and Bears were both over-rated entering week 1 and it showed. I've seen a lot of experts picking the Bears to win the NFC North, but I don't think the Bears offence takes enough strides and the D will regress. I see the Vikings winning the division and then the Packers and Bears are battling for second. If healthy, I take Packers over Bears.
                        3. Lamar Jackson was obviously brilliant and will be again in Week 2 against the Cards. Week 3 vs KC will be their first real test but one stat that needs to be reminded: Of the 34 QBs that played a snap in week 1 - Jackson was one of 5 22 yrs old to play and one of 3 starters at 22. The kid is still learning and growing.
                        I saw that Texans game as well ... Texans QB took helluva beating... sorry he had to lose the way they did ... with the defense playing loosely in the last series. But it was a long kick to win.

The other games I watched were pretty so-so to boring and the replays seem to have increased. Agree that Chicago & Cleveland were over hyped ... but it's only Week 1 so we need to wait and see if they can rebound. Miami looked genuinely bad ... how will the Ravens off. fare against better competition?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

how will the Ravens off. fare against better competition?
                          We have to wait until Week 3 unfortunately but the fact is, Lamar kicked ass as a starter last year and yet people were picking this team to finish 3rd in the division. They guys have a big chip on their shoulder

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

We have to wait until Week 3 unfortunately but the fact is, Lamar kicked ass as a starter last year and yet people were picking this team to finish 3rd in the division. They guys have a big chip on their shoulder
                            I didn't see the game but reports said he was disciplined in the pocket... so assume he had good protection. Or was it a bad Miami def. line? The Ravens and Harbaugh have always been a favourite of mine... they play/field balanced teams. Also the pundits did not think Lamar was a particularly good pick last year so built in bias about their ranking for this year. What else is new

Comment

I didn't see the game but reports said he was disciplined in the pocket... so assume he had good protection. Or was it a bad Miami def. line? The Ravens and Harbaugh have always been a favourite of mine... they play/field balanced teams. Also the pundits did not think Lamar was a particularly good pick last year so built in bias about their ranking for this year. What else is new
                              Pocket was good. Line played well. First snap was a great example as Yanda and Orlando Jr opened up that right side for Ingram who then took care of the rest (running over the Safety). Lamar only ran 3 times cause he was never forced to flush the pocket. Miami doesn't really offer much pressure though.

Comment

The Dophins are going to be pretty bad this year. They don't have much talent and whats there in the way of talent is trying to get out. Still they are NFL players and its not as if Baltimore was playing East Baptist Cupcake State. You sitll have to make the reads and make the throws. Jackson did.

Before he is elevated to Mahomes levels... lets see a couple more games.
                                This week they get the Cardinals...
                                Circle the 22nd of Sept and the 20th of October when they Ravens go on the road to play the Chiefs and the Seahawks.
                                The Chiefs are a quality opponent with a revamped defense and its loud in Arrowhead.
                                The trip to the Northwest to play a good pass rush team in a echo chamber loud bandbox will also give a look into how quick Lamar can get the ball in play without procedure of delay of game calls and make his reads.

If he wins one of those two... kids going to make a lot of scouts look bad.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X