Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Amazing Story: Former NFL Player Survives 16 Hour Emergency Swim

PLANTATION, Fla. -- The former NFL fullback entered the room with a wobble in his walk, and needed assistance climbing a podium so he could face a media throng and discuss his death-defying 16-hour swim to shore.

Rob Konrad sipped from a bottle of water, his efforts to rehydrate ongoing four days after the episode. His wife sat at his side rubbing his leg in support, and tears welled in their eyes as he spoke Monday.

"Happy to be here," he began with a wry smile.

"I shouldn't be here," he said later, his voice cracking.

The 38-year-old Konrad's escape was a testament to willpower and world-class athleticism. The first reports of his adventure last week received worldwide attention.

"It's an incredible story," endurance swimmer Diana Nyad said. "Taking his life in his hands and deciding he was going to save himself, I admire him."

Konrad, who played for the Miami Dolphins from 1999 to 2004, had been around boats since his childhood on Boston's North Shore. So he knew what it meant when he fell off his 31-foot Grady-White while fishing alone nine miles from land.

"A boater's nightmare," he said.

He swam to Palm Beach, covering a distance of 27 miles before ringing the doorbell of an oceanfront home for help at 4:30 a.m. Thursday.

The U.S. Coast Guard last week provided a brief summary of the events. Konrad, still weak after several days in the hospital for treatment of hypothermia and dehydration, held a news conference to fill in the details.

They were hard to believe, he and his wife agreed.

"It was a miracle he made it home," Tammy Konrad said.

Her husband said he was taking his boat for servicing last Wednesday and decided to do a little fishing along the way. He had caught a large fish and was tending to the Rob when a large wave hit, flipping Konrad into the ocean.

His boat was on autopilot and headed east. There were no other boats in sight. Konrad wasn't wearing a life preserver. It was 12:30 p.m.

"I realized I was in some real trouble," he said.
    Continue reading here: ESPN.com

Comment

• Pro Football Writers of America: All-Rookie Team Choices

2014 PFWA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: WR Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants
      2014 PFWA OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: WR Odell Beckham, Jr., New York Giants
      2014 PFWA DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: DT Aaron Donald, St. Louis Rams

2014 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
      Offense
      QB – Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings
      RB – Jeremy Hill, Cincinnati Bengals; Tre Mason, St. Louis Rams
      WR – Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants; Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      TE – Jace Amaro, New York Jets
      C – Corey Linsley, Green Bay Packers
      G – Joel Bitonio, Cleveland Browns; Zach Martin, Dallas Cowboys
      T – Taylor Lewan, Tennessee Titans; Ja’Wuan James, Miami Dolphins
      Defense
      DL – Aaron Donald, St. Louis Rams; Timmy Jernigan, Baltimore Ravens; Kony Ealy, Carolina Panthers; Justin Ellis, Oakland Raiders
      LB – Chris Borland, San Francisco 49ers; Khalil Mack, Oakland Raiders; C.J. Mosley, Baltimore Ravens
      CB – Kyle Fuller, Chicago Bears; E.J. Gaines, St. Louis Rams
      S – Deone Bucannon, Arizona Cardinals; Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Green Bay Packers
      Special Teams
      PK – Cody Parkey, Philadelphia Eagles
      P – Pat O’Donnell, Chicago Bears
      KR – Jarvis Landry, Miami Dolphins
      PR – De’Anthony Thomas, Kansas City Chiefs
      ST – Trey Burton, Philadelphia Eagles
      http://www.profootballwriters.org/20...ie-team-named/

I love seeing two Packers on there. I think their rookie WR Adams has huge potential as well. He's been coming on strong in the last month but obviously not on the level of Beckham or Evans or Watkins or a couple more guys who come to mind...

Comment

• Mike Evans! Yesh!

Btw, don't talk to me about the draft. The QB I want is someone people aren't raving over.
        Axel wrote:
        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
        KeonClark wrote:
        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
        KeonClark wrote:
        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• I'm going to be on a plane during the Super Bowl!

My family is going on vacation, and the place we're going to doesn't have a PVR or anything, and I'll be mid-flight during the Super Bowl! FUUUUUUUUU-----
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
            I'm going to be on a plane during the Super Bowl!

My family is going on vacation, and the place we're going to doesn't have a PVR or anything, and I'll be mid-flight during the Super Bowl! FUUUUUUUUU-----
            That's actually a super fuuuuu. Sorry for you man, that's some seriously bad timing but look at the bright side, if your biggest problem right now is you can't watch the Super Bowl because your jetting off on vacation then you're doing pretty good. Well played.

Comment

• Anyone got ideas of who the Bucs are gonna draft? I hope not Winston.
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Must be a real remote spot without wi-fi ...or you could take your laptop/tablet/ipad along ...am sure there'll be a download available somewhere.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                  Anyone got ideas of who the Bucs are gonna draft? I hope not Winston.
                  Mariota.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                    Mariota.
                    OL 1st round, Grayson in the 2nd. Told you I'm going off the board here.
                    Axel wrote:
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    KeonClark wrote:

Comment

You should be a naughty boy the night before, get sent up to sleep in the attic, then miss your ride to the airport and, voila! You're home alone watching the big game! Watch out for any suspect vans parked on your street though... A couple burglars have been hitting the area.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                        You should be a naughty boy the night before, get sent up to sleep in the attic, then miss your ride to the airport and, voila! You're home alone watching the big game! Watch out for any suspect vans parked on your street though... A couple burglars have been hitting the area.
                        lol, I'm not going "Home Alone".

I'm going to Hawaii for two months, so I'd take that over being able to watch the Super Bowl.

P.S. The super bowl which Seattle will win.

Comment

• what are the chances of Superbowl match starting w/ a safety again?

Comment

lol, I'm not going "Home Alone".

I'm going to Hawaii for two months, so I'd take that over being able to watch the Super Bowl.

P.S. The super bowl which Seattle will win.
                            The Super what? Gimme 2 months of Hawaii over anything!

Wait, what if Raptors were up 2-0 in the Conference finals and you had to go to Hawaii for 2 months where they have no TV in the village you're staying in. What then?

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                              Wait, what if Raptors were up 2-0 in the Conference finals and you had to go to Hawaii for 2 months where they have no TV in the village you're staying in. What then?
                              I would go to Hawaii, and try to stream it on a laptop if I can.

Comment

I would go to Hawaii, and try to stream it on a laptop if I can.
                                lol I was more going for you couldn't watch at all until you got back home. That would be a damn tough choice! I don't know if I could go.

Comment

Working...
                                X