No announcement yet.

Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where will he land? Jacksonville? Dallas?

Now, reports from Adam Caplan and Charles Robinson, respectively, have Jacksonville chasing Broncos tight end Julius Thomas and Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray.
    The Jacksonville Jaguars have money to burn, and according to various reports, they're looking to get in at the top of the free agent market. With only $99 million or so committed to their top-51 players and $21.768 million in rollover cap space from 2014, Jacksonville has approximately $68.8 million to work with while looking to fill various holes this offseason.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...demarco-murray

Well, they signed Thomas and so now they're probably focusing on RB and WR? Anyway, just read this:

a revision to the Twitter page of running back DeMarco Murray has created a buzz.

Murray has removed any references to the Cowboys from his profile.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-twitter-page/

Could be a ploy to make the 'Boys think he's moved on. Could be he's pissed at Jerry and Co. for not giving him $8M/yr.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...demarco-murray

Well, the signed Thomas and so now they're probably focusing on RB and WR? Anyway, just read this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-twitter-page/
      Jacksonville trying to be relevant.

Thomas is a good signing for them (sucks for your Dynasty team though). Considering how well Denard Robinson played for them down the stretch at RB, I'm a bit surprised to see them throw money at a RB. It's not like they have no shortage of holes to fill. If you already have a capable RB on the cheap, why spend big bucks for an older player?
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Jacksonville trying to be relevant.

Thomas is a good signing for them (sucks for your Dynasty team though). Considering how well Denard Robinson played for them down the stretch at RB, I'm a bit surprised to see them throw money at a RB. It's not like they have no shortage of holes to fill. If you already have a capable RB on the cheap, why spend big bucks for an older player?
        Robinson is not built to be an every down back. They're trying to build around Bortles and to do that he needs targets and a legit every down running threat so bravo to them for spending their cap space to turn the ship around. It's about time and I hope they land a couple more big names, I'm just glad Cobb isn't one of them.

If Thomas can stay healthy he'll be a great safety blanket and a legit threat in the red zone... If they make it that far down the field often.

I wouldn't be shocked if they over spend to get Torrey Smith or Crabtree... Or maybe Bowe once he gets released.

The Dallas Cowboys have not called free agent running back DeMarco Murray since last week, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
        http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...le.ca%2F%22%7D

Comment

• CJ2K Shot In Driveby

Former Jets and Titans running back Chris Johnson, who was shot in his right shoulder early Sunday in a drive-by shooting that left one person dead, was released Sunday from a hospital in Orlando, Florida.

Johnson, who was admitted to Orlando Regional Medical Center in stable condition with a non-life-threatening injury, is recovering at home from the gunshot wound.
          Johnson was in the front passenger seat, and deputies observed "numerous bullet holes" on the passenger side of the vehicle. The driver, Dreekius Oricko Johnson, was killed by a gunshot to the right side of the head, according to the report. The car was in the "drive" position.

When police arrived, Chris Johnson and Reggie Johnson, who also suffered non-life-threatening wounds, were standing on a nearby sidewalk. Several shell casings were found in the street by police.

The 29-year-old running back was "uncooperative," according to the report, which said he "would only state that he saw a 'car roll by and they shot.' He could not provide a vehicle description or any other relevant information."
          Johnson's representatives released a statement Monday, saying he "is doing well."

"He thanks everyone for their support surrounding this unfortunate incident as well as their condolences regarding the passing of his good friend," the statement said. "He is expected to make a quick and full recovery and is looking forward to being back out on the field training as soon as possible."
          http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...drive-shooting

End of the road career-wise but thankfully not end of the road in life. Too bad about his friend.

Comment

Robinson is not built to be an every down back. They're trying to build around Bortles and to do that he needs targets and a legit every down running threat so bravo to them for spending their cap space to turn the ship around. It's about time and I hope they land a couple more big names, I'm just glad Cobb isn't one of them.

If Thomas can stay healthy he'll be a great safety blanket and a legit threat in the red zone... If they make it that far down the field often.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...le.ca%2F%22%7D
            Their O-Line isn't that good, nor is their secondary. Based on the value of RBs in today's game, I would think those spots need cash more. Adding Parnell from Dallas to play Right Tackle is a start at least.

I would beg the question, do you even need an every down back?

D Robinson was electric last year. They still have Storm Johnson and Toby Gerhart who have shown flashes in the past and should be better this year for spot duty. Rotating talent seems to be the way of the current NFL offence.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Their O-Line isn't that good, nor is their secondary. Based on the value of RBs in today's game, I would think those spots need cash more. Adding Parnell from Dallas to play Right Tackle is a start at least.

I would beg the question, do you even need an every down back?

D Robinson was electric last year. They still have Storm Johnson and Toby Gerhart who have shown flashes in the past and should be better this year for spot duty. Rotating talent seems to be the way of the current NFL offence.
              They're not going anywhere with a weak ass running back by committee like that. Robinson is best built for a Sproles kind of role. They need a between the tackles grinder. Yeah, they need an every down back who can block, catch and grind it if one is available.

It's a passing league right now but all the best teams have effective ground games and they all have at least effective grinders, maybe not all on Murray's level but the Jags are talent deprived and so they'd be wise to add it with all that cap space. They don't need a stacked line to be productive, average will be enough.

Comment

They're not going anywhere with a weak ass running back by committee like that. Robinson is best built for a Sproles kind of role. They need a between the tackles grinder. Yeah, they need an every down back who can block, catch and grind it if one is available.

It's a passing league right now but all the best teams have effective ground games and they all have at least effective grinders, maybe not all on Murray's level but the Jags are talent deprived and so they'd be wise to add it with all that cap space. They don't need a stacked line to be productive, average will be enough.
                I'd take Robinson with his tiny cap hit and build elsewhere rather than pay big bucks for a back with a lot of carries (392 last year) and not be able to afford other positions.

Robinson did average 4.3 YPC, so he's no slouch. They didn't use him for most of the season, but when they finally did he was great. He's 6' 200 lbs, so he isn't as small as Sproles.

I think you just want Murray to leave Dallas (which is a sentiment I can sympathize with). But I don't think you need to worry about him that much. RBs don't survive with that many carries.

Look at recent RBs who have had a ton of carries, Larry Johnson 2006, Eddie George 2000, Ricky Williams 2003 - all of them had their careers off the rails from that point (all of them had their heavy season at age 26 - Murray included). Next season, Johnson missed half the season and finished with 3.5 YPC. Ricky missed the next season and never started more than 7 games in a season afterwards. Eddie played all 16 games but finished with his career worst YPC.

Will be hard for Murray to be the exception to the rule.

Comment

• For the price, I'd rather sign Frank Gore.

Comment

• Gore is 32 years old so he's not a fit for them as they're not ready to contend.

On the flip side, if I'm Gore, I may be entering my final season and I want to win a title and that isn't happening in Jacksonville in 2015.

Comment

Gore is 32 years old so he's not a fit for them as they're not ready to contend.

On the flip side, if I'm Gore, I may be entering my final season and I want to win a title and that isn't happening in Jacksonville in 2015.
                      True, he probably will sign in Indy to play for a contender. Point is, Murray will be overpaid. Better options out there I think. If RB was your only position of need, and you have the money, that is one thing, but I don't think Jax should go there.

Plus Robinson is on my dynasty team, that is really all that matters.

Comment

• World Champion's RB Emporium

I have a fine selection of RB that can be had for the right price.

When you need a RB, think World Champion's RB Emporium.

Right now for a limited time only we have a deal to offer our fine customers: trade for one top tier RB and we'll toss in a CJ Spiller at no additional cost.

Comment

• I can't get Tweets to embed anymore, but thought I'd share this one from Baltimore Ravens beat man Jeff Zrebiec.

"Typical Ravens cycle: Use a comp pick to select Pernell McPhee in 5th rnd in 2011. Four years later, get another comp pick for his depature."

That is why they have made the playoffs in 6 of the last 7 years. In Ozzie We Trust.

Comment

I have a fine selection of RB that can be had for the right price.

When you need a RB, think World Champion's RB Emporium.

Right now for a limited time only we have a deal to offer our fine customers: trade for one top tier RB and we'll toss in a CJ Spiller at no additional cost.
                            Only Bell is really an upgrade for me and I don't want to hear the cost. CJ Spiller was a bum all season before I cut him. He'll probably be a bum next year too. Don't worry about team Axel. Last year was just a transition year to get my bearings (not too bad a season either). Now the real thing begins. Better start scouting now.

Comment

• Cards, Jags and Bucs in mix for Murray as per Ian Rapoport.

Giants are very serious about Vereen as per NY Daily News. I think he could help out Eli a lot in that new quick pass offense.

Vikings kicking the tires on Ridley as per Pioneer Press. I hope he lands here because I signed him near the end of last season in the Dynasty. That would be a good landing spot for a prove it year.

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Only Bell is really an upgrade for me and I don't want to hear the cost. CJ Spiller was a bum all season before I cut him. He'll probably be a bum next year too. Don't worry about team Axel. Last year was just a transition year to get my bearings (not too bad a season either). Now the real thing begins. Better start scouting now.
                              CJ is almost averaging 5 YPC for his career. He was hampered by lower body injuries and a poor O-line. Best case scenario for him is Murray signing with anyone but the Cowboys and then the Cowboys bringing him in.

Anyway, on a 30 man roster he's worth a flier(just like Ridley) instead of waiting for someone to sign him in a RB hunger system and then having to burn a 2nd or 3rd rounder on him in August. I traded away a 2nd rounder and so rolling the dice on Spiller and Ridley were essential to make up for that.

Comment

• If Murray goes to Jags or Bucs, he doesn't care to win. We'll find someone that can run behind that o-line.

Comment

Working...
                                X