Steve Nash Inked to Cover World Cup for CBS Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Nash Inked to Cover World Cup for CBS Sports

On Sunday, we asked Steve Nash if he was heading to South Africa, his birthplace, for the World Cup.

"I don't know yet," Nash said.

Hmmmm. Do you have some correspondent opportunities?

"I haven't really looked it over yet because I thought we'd still be playing," Nash said.

Hmmmm. That's when suns.com's Stefan Swiat, knowing this game Nash played before showing up as an Olympic torch lighter in Vancouver, said, "So that's code for you'll be carrying the torch in South Africa."

Nash said, "I might start for England. I have a passport."

No, of course, he couldn't start for England. He would have to come off the bench after missing so much practice time.

But just as we surmised, Nash is going to South Africa and will be working media there. Three days after Nash played coy, it was announced that Nash will post a series of eight videos to CBSSports.com and youtube.com/CBSSports, along with daily photos, iPhone vignettes, status updates and fan interaction on CBSSports.com's social media platforms on Facebook and Twitter. And if CBS is attached, can't we expect a return correspondent visit to The Late Show with David Letterman, as he did for the NBA Finals last summer?

"This project with CBSSports.com combines two of my passions off the basketball court -- the beautiful game known internationally as 'football' and video production," Nash said in a statement released by CBSSports.com. "I look forward to shooting some memorable pieces from South Africa and giving fans a unique and sometimes humorous look at World Cup."

Nash has a video production company, Meathawk, that has produced Nike and Vitaminwater ads, along with humorous Suns video shorts and an ESPN documentary on Terry Fox that will air in September.

How passionate is Nash about soccer? He sounded despondent about England's 2-1 win in a tune-up match against Japan on Sunday, calling it "pretty pathetic." This was within hours of the Suns' elimination that brought him to tears.

"Unfortunately, the way England looked against Japan this morning, I'm not too excited about it but I'm sure they'll get themselves together," Nash said. "I'm excited for the U.S. I want them to do well even though my family's English. I wan the game to grow here. I hope these guys move on."
    AZcentral.com

I'm off to find my way to South Africa and begin reporting around World Cup for @CBSSports. Wish me luck! http://bit.ly/9QGjLE 33 minutes ago via web
    http://twitter.com/the_real_nash
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
    X