The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is fascinating from Griffin:

"When he saw and sensed the approaching firestorm last December, the GM spent the next few months negotiating extensions for his own staff, his entourage of baseball men, Tony LaCava, Perry Minasian, Dana Brown, Andrew Tinnish and others, that was finally approved early in the season. His assistants are signed through 2016, while the boss is out of work. More parachutes than Normandy"

Sounds like AA saw this coming a mile away.

Comment

• Billy Beane and Mark Shapiro

So the asshole depiction of Shapiro in Moneyball was accurate.
      Last edited by The Great One; Thu Oct 29, 2015, 04:44 PM.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        We really should have seen this coming. Shapiro is a young guy and he clearly wasn't coming to Toronto to focus on concessions, selling more jerseys and a grass field. In retrospect, that was ludicrous - he was always coming here cause he was told he would be in charge. Then, of course, the Jays exploded and AA is the exec of the year but Rogers already promised Shapiro he would have final say.

Shapiro didn't come to Toronto to fail but a couple of things concern me. First, the Indians' drafts in the Shapiro era have been gawdawful. Second, Shapiro's experience is operating a small market team that has no money. Third, say what you want about AA, but he restocked a broken farm system and then, just for good measure, emptied it out and restocked it again. He put a winner on the field in 6 years with a major league roster that was a mess 5 years ago. Shapiro had as many good years in a decade and a half in Cleveland as AA had in 6. And now there's such a fundamental difference with Shapiro he leaves? That's slightly disconcerting.
        Still think the awful Dickey and Marlin trades nullifies anything AA did emptying the farm and exchanging a really expensive contract for an even longer one for a better player with injury issues

Comment

• I don't get all the fuss over Shapiro...the Indians weren't exactly world beaters under him...

Edit: whoops, Slaw got here first, and much more thoroughly...
          Last edited by JimiCliff; Thu Oct 29, 2015, 04:58 PM.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

This is fascinating from Griffin:

"When he saw and sensed the approaching firestorm last December, the GM spent the next few months negotiating extensions for his own staff, his entourage of baseball men, Tony LaCava, Perry Minasian, Dana Brown, Andrew Tinnish and others, that was finally approved early in the season. His assistants are signed through 2016, while the boss is out of work. More parachutes than Normandy"

Sounds like AA saw this coming a mile away.
            We must also not forget that before Shapiro there was the Williams & Duquette not so secret approaches. Here's looking at Ed Rogers. Both of the above were/are also involved in player evaluation/signing decisions.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              I don't get all the fuss over Shapiro...the Indians weren't exactly world beaters under him...

He is apparently very good at the ancillary business stuff and schmoozing with the MLB cognoscenti. And that is what Rogers wanted foremost. It seems in order to get him they had to offer total control. So here we are.

Comment

• "What are we doing here?" - Brad Pitt as Billy Beane in the clip above.

That's how I feel about Toronto sports on days like today.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                  So the asshole depiction of Shapiro in Moneyball was accurate.
                  Oh, just look at him, the guy looks like a complete dick. But often times, complete dicks make good business men. Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    Oh, just look at him, the guy looks like a complete dick. But often times, complete dicks make good business men. Lol
                    Weird that a guy named Mark Shapiro with good business sense isn't Jewish. Isn't even pronounced the same way

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      Weird that a guy named Mark Shapiro with good business sense isn't Jewish. Isn't even pronounced the same way
                      Always thought there was something not entirely kosher about the ShaPYro pronunciation.

Comment

True. But at his presser next week someone should ask him if that portrayal of him in Moneyball was accurate...lol.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Always thought there was something not entirely kosher about the ShaPYro pronunciation.
                          So its not Sha-Pee-Row? Its Sha-Pie-Row? I don't how I feel about that.

Comment

So its not Sha-Pee-Row? Its Sha-Pie-Row? I don't how I feel about that.
                            How many 50 year old non-Jews spell their last name to look semetic? There has to be a story behind it, it wasnt to get into graduate school

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              I don't get all the fuss over Shapiro...the Indians weren't exactly world beaters under him...

And in a much weaker division. Jays have a legit excuse competing in the toughest division in baseball. The more I am reading about Shapiro and the Indians the more I am worried that we're in for a complete teardown of this roster and a return to the good ol' five year plan and young guns marketing gimmicks..... That won't work in the AL East.

Comment

And in a much weaker division. Jays have a legit excuse competing in the toughest division in baseball. The more I am reading about Shapiro and the Indians the more I am worried that we're in for a complete teardown of this roster and a return to the good ol' five year plan and young guns marketing gimmicks..... That won't work in the AL East.
                                We'll be begging to have Ricciardi back, won't we?

Sigh....

Comment

Working...
                                X