The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Happ is not a very good #5 starter, I have never heard anyone call him that.

Martin was worth it as well. he was worth what 5 WAR last year? Navarro's framing/catching is horribad, and he doesn't have anything on Martin, if anything, offensively. I do that deal again and again.

As for 2nd, I think AA's just gonna wait for Travis to be ready. I'm not in favour of whatever platoon they'll run, but there's an end in mind.

The bullpen does need an arm or two but I don't think it will have that large an impact anyways. The Royals had the best bullpen by WAR last year and even then it was only worth 6 WAR. A lot for one player, but for 7?
    I call Happ "very good" in the context of 5th starters and considering their availability. In comparison to outfielders, starting pitchers are scarce. Unless it's for someone proven and established, you don't give them away. It was a typical AA trade wherein the incoming player does not make much and is under team control for a few years. Don't get me wrong 'cause I like that policy. It's just that in this case, Seattle got the better of the deal.

Martin is good and will probably be successful as a Jay but for that kind of money, they could have got a superb 2nd baseman and resigned Cabrera as well. Navaro has a great bat but his catching is suspect, but they could have got by for a year.

Loved the way AA started off as GM. Even though it didn't work out as hoped, I even liked the trade with Miami. The last two years though, have been questionable.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
      I call Happ "very good" in the context of 5th starters and considering their availability. In comparison to outfielders, starting pitchers are scarce. Unless it's for someone proven and established, you don't give them away. It was a typical AA trade wherein the incoming player does not make much and is under team control for a few years. Don't get me wrong 'cause I like that policy. It's just that in this case, Seattle got the better of the deal.

Martin is good and will probably be successful as a Jay but for that kind of money, they could have got a superb 2nd baseman and resigned Cabrera as well. Navaro has a great bat but his catching is suspect, but they could have got by for a year.

Loved the way AA started off as GM. Even though it didn't work out as hoped, I even liked the trade with Miami. The last two years though, have been questionable.
      Agree with pretty much all you wrote. I feel kinda bad for AA though....looks like he was given just one bullet to remake the team and he fired it with the Miami trade. It must have been a leap of faith by the penny pinchers at Rogers who gave him the ok to take on so much money. All to say... he is restrained from making talent deals (the Happ trade is more of a money/budget deal I feel). The Jays are now hampered by the Reyes & Buerhle contracts.

Disclosure: I was very excited when that deal was made but didnt have an appreciation for some of the contracts. I also thought Josh Johnson was going to make a big comeback

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
        Agree with pretty much all you wrote. I feel kinda bad for AA though....looks like he was given just one bullet to remake the team and he fired it with the Miami trade. It must have been a leap of faith by the penny pinchers at Rogers who gave him the ok to take on so much money. All to say... he is restrained from making talent deals (the Happ trade is more of a money/budget deal I feel). The Jays are now hampered by the Reyes & Buerhle contracts.

Disclosure: I was very excited when that deal was made but didnt have an appreciation for some of the contracts. I also thought Josh Johnson was going to make a big comeback
        Speculation but this is the feeling I get. While the focus has been on Beeston and the search for his replacement (very poor treatment of a great executive), not much thought has been given to AA's future. AA IMO is on a short leash which is causing him to panic and make uncharacteristic moves. Reminds me of Glen Grunwald's final year as Raps GM. If this team does not do reasonably well this year, I think AA will accompany Beeston out of the organization. Even a mid season firing should not be ruled out.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Jays sign Santana and Viciedo. Thank god there's a trash bin to fill out the roster.

Comment

• I like the Santana signing as well actually. Low risk, high reward. No way he's any worse than Josh Johnson was for us.

Comment

• Blue Jays are looking up.

Of course, that's the pattern, isn't it?
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

Just noticed this thread!!

I'm excited to see how Josh Donaldson and Russell Martin will fit in this year. Really looking forward to see them play.

Our 2nd base and left field positions may be a concern (seems to be the usual) and our bullpen looks meh.

Hopefully Delabar can bounce back this year.

I also like the Santana signing (what do we have to lose?)and I don't know much about this Viciedo guy.

There's a lot to look out for, this spring training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                  Blue Jays are looking up.

Of course, that's the pattern, isn't it?
                  They're looking up until they're looking down.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                    Just noticed this thread!!

I'm excited to see how Josh Donaldson and Russell Martin will fit in this year. Really looking forward to see them play.

Our 2nd base and left field positions may be a concern (seems to be the usual) and our bullpen looks meh.

Hopefully Delabar can bounce back this year.

I also like the Santana signing (what do we have to lose?)and I don't know much about this Viciedo guy.

There's a lot to look out for, this spring training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    With Dickey, Buerhle and Santana, Jays might have three starters who can't crack 90. Maybe 85

Comment

• I'm not even sure Santana makes the team. But, I like the signing.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• I'm more happy about Viciedo. The guy can play for us while Saunders is out.... it's more about our pitching that scares me. Who do we really have that can make us a true contender? Not much. But then again, the whole AL East is a wildcard. I really have no idea how certain teams are gonna do.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                          I'm more happy about Viciedo. The guy can play for us while Saunders is out.... it's more about our pitching that scares me. Who do we really have that can make us a true contender? Not much. But then again, the whole AL East is a wildcard. I really have no idea how certain teams are gonna do.
                          I understand he is a brutal fielder.

Comment

• The whole team has it's problems. It's really a pick-em division this year.
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Whoa, just clicked on ESPN and they have Daniel Norris as their front page story! That's kinda neat...

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                                Whoa, just clicked on ESPN and they have Daniel Norris as their front page story! That's kinda neat...
                                This is the only bit of "Personal Information" on his Wikipedia Page:
                                Wikipedia wrote:
                                In the offseason, Norris lives by choice in a 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia van, nicknamed "Shaggy",[26] which he purchased after being drafted by the Blue Jays. He is an avid surfer.
                                This guy deserves his own ESPN Article. Going now to read.

EDIT: Go to ESPN and its a pic of him and his van. Awesome. Haha
                                Last edited by Joey; Thu Mar 5, 2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X