No announcement yet.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least at the end before leaving Cleveland, Shapiro got Salazar, Kluber, Carrasco as the top 3 in their rotation, not too shabby. Then there is Santana, Kipnis, Fucking Brantley, and Lindor. Drafting is a crapshoot that will see how well you plan, risk, and what angle you can analyze which player is worth the money to draft and sign. Shapiro at times nail these dark-horse studs.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      Shapiro addressed that speicifically, and I'm generally in agreement with his position actually..

I'm not mad at the guy. I'll wait to see to judge him on his own accord.
      That was in the interview with Bob Mccown, right? And the question was about how he defined roles. But he refused to admit that he believes - at all - in anything like defined roles ... as if the opinions of the people in the bloody "cubicles" are to be welcomed at all times, and weighted equally.

Jesus.

He just entirely dodged the question of how he and Alex would have divvied up responsibilities and authority. But he's not really intending to run the Jays as a pure matter of consensus (as the flowery verbiage above seems to suggest - how utopian is that??). Not a chance. He just wouldn't admit the obvious - he likes being intimately involved in the sort of analysis and decision-making that Beeston left to Alex, heretofore.

And why, in God's name, would you go into business with anyone who won't - simply refuses - to admit the obvious??

This had nothing to do with how much consulting - with whomever you please - one engages in before a decision is taken (as he seems to be suggesting with all that flowery baffle-gab). It's about who, ultimately, gets to decide. And in the Blue Jays organization, that's going to be him. He was really looking for more of an assistant GM. Someone to do all the work and make recommendations. Not decisions (to be occasionally over-ruled, possibly, in theory).

Sorry. But I'm pissed.

There's a clip from "Moneyball" portraying Shapiro, somewhere above on this thread. It depicts Shapiro calling Billy Bean into a meeting - on false pretenses, it seems (in terms of his willingness to engage in open, fair and mutually-beneficial dealing) - only to waste Bean's time trying to screw him "royally".

AA took a different route. He didn't negotiate through the media, and wasn't constantly engaged in making deals that his trading partners would regret ten minutes later. Which I'd guess meant that doors were always open to him. And will continue to be. Shapiro's been chasing a World Series as a manager for about 20 years.

Now he might win one with what AA has assembled. I actually blame Rogers. But I despise Shapiro.

Ok. Enough.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
        20-20 hindsight. We were favourites to win the World Series after the Marlins/Dickey trades ... and the city was ecstatic. MLB head office actually held up finalizing the trade cuz they weren't sure it was fair to the Florida fan-base to give up that much talent in one trade. It was that unprecedented.
        Plus, we don't end up with Tulo without Reyes.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Plus, we don't end up with Tulo without Reyes.
          Tulo was available for free. Rockies weren't trying to add a oft-injured SS who can't field. Tulo is really expensive and hurt alot

Comment

• Another takeaway from a tsn interview....he refused to answer directly whether his original offer to AA was a 1+1 yr. contract (which is a rumour out there). I would have to believe that alone made AA go "WTF".

Comment

• If anyone is looking for a bunch of laffs check out this open thread link of posts during the Shapiro presser yesterday.

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2015/1...ess-conference

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                If anyone is looking for a bunch of laffs check out this open thread link of posts during the Shapiro presser yesterday.

Shapiro does give off a bit of an evil vibe. not dishonest or anything but eating babies and drinking human blood

Comment

• Shapiro is the Divan Umarov of baseball.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Watching Shapiro reminded me of a saying an old boss of mine used to employ: "The polish is so high on that one you can't see him anymore."

Comment

If anyone is looking for a bunch of laffs check out this open thread link of posts during the Shapiro presser yesterday.

It's funny in part because I would have thought the prospect hoarders over at BBB would be salivating over a guy who is all about building through your own system. They can now agonize daily, and at length, over all the A-ball pitching prospects who may be up in 2019-2020 without having to worry about pesky things like major league baseball games. They should be in their glory always yearning for tomorrow....

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        Shapiro does give off a bit of an evil vibe. not dishonest or anything but eating babies and drinking human blood
                        I hear you. I hope we are wrong but the irony is he is going to bludgeon the current "culture" of the BJs front office where the Pres.(Beeston) preferred to go sockless and the GM (AA) on a good day looked like he bussed tables on the Danforth. Down to earth. And my sense is everyone was tight with the status quo. I have a feeling this that least sublimnally, rubbed the guy below the wrong way...

http://torontolife.com/city/edward-r...would-be-king/

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          It's funny in part because I would have thought the prospect hoarders over at BBB would be salivating over a guy who is all about building through your own system. They can now agonize daily, and at length, over all the A-ball pitching prospects who may be up in 2019-2020 without having to worry about pesky things like major league baseball games. They should be in their glory always yearning for tomorrow....
                          LOL. Looks like you are familiar with BBB. True for many. Lots of analytics geeks too....but a good forum on the whole.

Comment

LOL. Looks like you are familiar with BBB. True for many. Lots of analytics geeks too....but a good forum on the whole.
                            Better than Bluejaysmessageboard I was there all summer and they are so overdramatic. If you start a gdt less than two hours before a game they get a really worked up.

Comment

I hear you. I hope we are wrong but the irony is he is going to bludgeon the current "culture" of the BJs front office where the Pres.(Beeston) preferred to go sockless and the GM (AA) on a good day looked like he bussed tables on the Danforth. Down to earth. And my sense is everyone was tight with the status quo. I have a feeling this that least sublimnally, rubbed the guy below the wrong way...

http://torontolife.com/city/edward-r...would-be-king/
                              I don't think it's really complicated. They let Eddie have control of the baseball team cause no one wants him near any part of the actual business of the company. Of course, he knows as much about owning a baseball team as my bulldog, so he looks at what other teams did (i.e. Cubs, Dodgers, DBacks, etc.) and he copies them by hiring a guy like Shapiro without any appreciation for the process, results, or actual operations of the ball club. Meanwhile, various Rogers guys who have his ear want a guy who will run the team on the cheap, so they help him hire a guy who has run a team on the cheap. Eddie gets to pretend he is running a MLB team, the suits get a guy they can deal with in Shapiro and the Jays go back to being an afterthought in 2017.

Comment

• No brainers on the Bautista, Edwin and Dickey options. $71 million in committed payroll with some hefty arbitration raises coming for Donaldson et al. Guess the next bit of news is whether they QO Estrada or not and I have to think that's an easy answer cause, worst case scenario, they get a pick when he signs elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X