No announcement yet.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough to see Eddy go. Hopefully Rogers saves a little face by signing Jose.

Comment

• ~ 5 weeks till Feb 14th when Pitchers and Catchers report....and your Toronto Blue Jays are still in a directionless vortex being held captive by a dimwitted villain using the name Shatkins...

After successfully replacing 42 HR and 127 RBI's with a late first round draft pick which might make the big team in 6 years Shatkins has now focused his attention on:

a) making Jays fans wonder if Aaron Loup is actually going to indeed be the late inning Lefty out of the pen....
      b) will Josh Donaldson get anything to hit with Russell Martin and Tulo hitting behind him. ...
      c) do we really need a corner OF who can play defense and hit a little now that we have Steve Pearce to be a utility 1B and outfielder
      d) can Shatkins possibly take away any more dignity away from Jose Bautista who will be remembered and revered for what he has done for the Jays (may the bat flip live forever) long after Shatkins has left the building

Stay tuned.... perhaps a minor league contract and a spring training invite to Gavin "Count " Floyd has addressed everything.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• Looks like Jose is coming back ! One year plus an option... not sure if its Joses or the teams or some combination.

Donaldson has to be feeling better as now he has both Jose and Kendrys behind him in the three hole and 4 slots depending on how Gibby settles on his batting order. Tulo will be at the 5 and Martin 6 unless by some miracle they find a left handed hitting defensive corner OF... unless they have determined Dalton Pompey is coming north and spend whatever they have left on a more dependable LH reliever than Loup.

If thats what Shatkins is thinking then it might look like this.. Order will depend on who is platooning that day.

LF - Pompey/Upton Platoon
        3B -Donaldson Right
        DH -Morales Switch
        RF - Bautista/Carerra /Platoon
        SS - Tulo Right
        2B -Travis Right
        C - Martin Right
        1B - Smoakie / Pearce Platoon
        CF -Pilar Right

If your thinking that this is what last years team looked like..
        its not younger..
        there is no infusion of new speed on the team to lead off or run the bases..
        no new good defense in the corners in the OF..
        Hey.. they did get a LH bat with Morales ! thats good !
        but no new Switch Hitters ..

Its pretty much the same blueprint as last years team but without your best hitter in Edwin and the money you should have spent on him you spent on Steave Pearce ?

Which is why Shatkins should be roasted hard for this. Real hard.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jan 17, 2017, 03:52 PM.
        - TGO

Comment

• Yikes. I wouldn't think Pompey or Upton leading off. More like 9th. Travis in the leadoff spot assuming he's healthy, I guess.

But, it is basically last year's team with a worse outfield and a worse DH. It's just strange that they really did, well, nothing like what they said (younger, leftier, more athletic), which would have made losing Edwin more understandable. I won't really judge a front office until a few years out but this offseason sure feels like a missed opportunity.....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            Yikes. I wouldn't think Pompey or Upton leading off. More like 9th. Travis in the leadoff spot assuming he's healthy, I guess.

But, it is basically last year's team with a worse outfield and a worse DH. It's just strange that they really did, well, nothing like what they said (younger, leftier, more athletic), which would have made losing Edwin more understandable. I won't really judge a front office until a few years out but this offseason sure feels like a missed opportunity.....
            Shatkins should be given more time but to me they made themselves look like dollar store shoppers to a big market teams fanbase. The optics just aren't good. No arguments on the idea to get a bit younger, add some balance to the lineup with a LH bat or Switch Hitter and make those improvements at one or both of the corner outfield spots.

They didn't do any of that. Nada. They misread the market entirely. Knee jerked a couple of signings in Morales and Pearce they could have waited on and lost Edwin in the same fashion. How New York Knicks was that.

Pompey to lead off.. Upton No.. Was showing them as a platoon... Leadoff would be Carrera or Pompey.. there just isn't anyone else right now in my view as I am of the opinion that Travis is a bat better suited to the middle of the order ...but thats me....
            - TGO

Comment

• Well now that the happy euphoria of Jose being back in the fold is done... Jays still have a few holes to fill.
              The biggest one ...unless they plan to have Martin catch all 162 games this year... is to find a backup catcher.
              and
              The hole.. or the gaping canyon .. thats the bullpen also needs attention.
              Aaron Loup is the lone lefty in the pen... I know conventional wisdom is not to spend any money on the bullpen but Aaaron Loup and his can of gasoline is the lone lefty in the pen.

Closing is Osuna.
              Setting up at least for now on paper are Grilli and Biagini...
              Situational Lefty is Aaron Loup and maybe Danny Barnes who was up and down last year.
              6th 7th Inning guys are ??? Mike Bolsinger and Ryan Tepera
              Long relief ???

Shatkins has work to do here... Pitchers and Catchers report in a month...
              - TGO

Comment

• Damn, Yordano Ventura died...

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  Damn, Yordano Ventura died...
                  Just straight up frustrated and mystified that two All-Star caliber under 26 year old pitchers died through accidents in the last 5 months. Shit man...

I might of hated Yordano with every fiber in my body, but that was the guy on the mound. Off the mound or beating other AL EAST teams, he's a different and good person. Condolences to his family and please may no other MLB teams should go through these tragedies.

Comment

• First...Tonious and Joey... add my condolences to the sentitments on bball losing two bright young players...

I am floored at the low level of interest of power guys this year by MLB teams..

The AL HR leader Mark Trumbo just signed back in Baltimore for 3 years and 33M... god thats cheap
                    Edwin got 60 over 3 years....which is cheap for a such a consistently big time power guy
                    Big bats still out there are Danny H's guy Brandon Moss... Mike Napoli....Pedro Alvarez...
                    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      First...Tonious and Joey... add my condolences to the sentitments on bball losing two bright young players...

I am floored at the low level of interest of power guys this year by MLB teams..

The AL HR leader Mark Trumbo just signed back in Baltimore for 3 years and 33M... god thats cheap
                      Edwin got 60 over 3 years....which is cheap for a such a consistently big time power guy
                      Big bats still out there are Danny H's guy Brandon Moss... Mike Napoli....Pedro Alvarez...
                      Still holding out hope Moss' market drops enough that the Jays can afford him. Would really shore up the outfield. But I doubt it, and they'll probably spend a little on bullpen pieces and a backup C, and rely on depth internally for the OF.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• How is the catcher market looking?
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• n
                          Cody73 wrote: View Post
                          How is the catcher market looking?
                          In a word... slim

Matt Wieters is still unsigned but he isn't what we are looking for...he is an everyday guy.
                          Dionner is still out there but if they wanted him he would be signed by now...

Then there are a bunch of guys...

Hank Conger, Jesus Montero, Ryan Hannigan are few .... ideally they want a guy who can catch and frame pitches and hit a little.. but thats what everyone wants and its hard to get for what they want to pay.. which is about 2M to 2.5 M.....
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jan 24, 2017, 08:50 PM.
                          - TGO

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                            How is the catcher market looking?
                            We got Jarrod Saltalamcchia yesterday. I'm really pumped about this one! Guys, he hit .171 with a .284 OBP and .346 SLG. Also he struck out a measly 104 times in just 292 plate appearances. I believe we struck gold!

Suddenly, your boy T-hole doesn't look so bad.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                              We got Jarrod Saltalamcchia yesterday. I'm really pumped about this one! Guys, he hit .171 with a .284 OBP and .346 SLG. Also he struck out a measly 104 times in just 292 plate appearances. I believe we struck gold!

They signed the catching version of Smoakie...

None the less he has MLB experience and he is average at best defensively. Still he is a major leaguer and a year removed from a decent season in the desert with Zona..
                              He is Switch Hitter so we get another bat on the left side which we are woefully short of...
                              He comes with MLB experience and probably won't help you win more games but most likely won't cost you games either
                              AND
                              He comes with what seems to be valued the most at 1 Blue Jays Way.. he is going to work cheap at 1.25M

Might be some money left to try to get a couple of arms... at least one lefty ...into the pen.
                              I am still scared shitless that the late inning lefty is Loup.
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:34 PM.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post

Even in Salty's down year last year, Thole was markedly worse.

Looks like they are cheaping out on backup C (Jimenez may beat out Salty in ST), which gives me hope for another real addition of talent to the outfield.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X