X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    n

In a word... slim

Matt Wieters is still unsigned but he isn't what we are looking for...he is an everyday guy.
    Dionner is still out there but if they wanted him he would be signed by now...

Then there are a bunch of guys...

Hank Conger, Jesus Montero, Ryan Hannigan are few .... ideally they want a guy who can catch and frame pitches and hit a little.. but thats what everyone wants and its hard to get for what they want to pay.. which is about 2M to 2.5 M.....
    Conger, just because he's an Asian Guy

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Even in Salty's down year last year, Thole was markedly worse.

Looks like they are cheaping out on backup C (Jimenez may beat out Salty in ST), which gives me hope for another real addition of talent to the outfield.
      Thole is not a baseball player, just some guy that catches wacky balls

Comment

Even in Salty's down year last year, Thole was markedly worse.

Looks like they are cheaping out on backup C (Jimenez may beat out Salty in ST), which gives me hope for another real addition of talent to the outfield.
        I don't know.. I think the ship has sailed on getting another corner OF....

Looks like they are going to go with Pillar / Jose / Upton / Carrera and in a pinch Steve Pearce as the emergency OF. I think they are going to pay Upton about 2 or 3M this year as San Diego agreed to eat most of his deal. If you come cheap Shapiro loves that so Moss would have to sign a pretty small deal to displace Upton.

If they lose guys to injury its likely Pompey who comes up to fill in ........

Lots of talk about Rowdy Tellez.. but he is 1B.. He has power but he's maybe another year away...

They addressed the backup catcher.. maybe even a little battle for it at ST... which leaves the 'pen.

Maybe somebody comes out of nowhere like Osuna did a couple of years ago.. or they find another Benoit or Grilli in a trade that looks minor but turns out to be great.....but to start the year it would help to find a couple more LH arms .....

That two year deal with Smoak for 4M per just looks odd considering who is out there that can hit the ball and can play 1B.. Alvarez / Moss / Napoli... If Trumbo got 11 .. you'd have to believe that Alvarez and Moss just might 5M at this stage..
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:29 AM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• tonious35 wrote: View Post
          Conger, just because he's an Asian Guy
          too late... they signed Jarrod Saltalamcchia.. who sounds like a Woodbridge guy..
          - TGO

Comment

• Salty's not horrible. The guys merely an average backup, and could very well get his bat back in order so long as he plays often enough.

I do think another lefty arm would be nice.... and why did we trade Venditte?
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Boone Logan and Jerry Blevins still are out there....
              Jeff Blair says their agents are still thinking 2 Yrs/12 M is market price..

and the Blue Jays will not bite at that price with the memory of Drew Storen still fresh in their minds..I think he came in at around 8 to 9M last year in a good old fashioned trade for then surplus corner OF who could lead off -- Ben Revere.

Jays traded Pat V... because his WHIP was close to 2....
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Jan 27, 2017, 05:50 PM.
              - TGO

Comment

• Ugh, Moss got a 2 year, 12M deal (6M per year average). Would have loved to see the Jays beat that. Seems within their budget.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Ugh, Moss got a 2 year, 12M deal (6M per year average). Would have loved to see the Jays beat that. Seems within their budget.
                  I do think the ship sailed on position players once they re upped Jose..

They are thin on starters. There is no 6th guy to be seen right now if someone gets hurt. Talk is stretching out Biagini for help there but thats it so far.

I am repeating myself ad nauseum on the bullpen. This needs some more help ...but
                  its a waiting game now for bullpen arms. Will guys like Blevins and Boone take less or will Shatkins hope a miracle happens and someone comes out of nowhere at camp. It may work out or they might get nothing.

About 3 weeks till camp opens
                  - TGO

Comment

• Pitchers and Catchers are in camp !!
                    Gibby did a Boomhauer interview. Spoke for almost 5 minutes and said nothing. Vintage Gibby.
                    Sanchez looks good ..maybe a little less bulk.No Strohman clip.
                    Salty seems ready to back up Martin. Spring training ..Where hope , warranted or not, reigns supreme.

Nice break from the Raps angstfest..
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Feb 17, 2017, 06:12 PM.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Yea, so, the Salty era is done pretty quick! Bring back Dionner!!

Comment

• 4 games outta the playoffs and it's early August, Jays got that wrapped up!

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...cknames-ranked

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/08/09/pl...ames-mlb-teams

Anybody hear about this players weekend? Aug 25 - 27. Nicknames on the jerseys and stuff... quite gimmicky but who gives a shit when there are 162+ games a year. I never understand why people flip out when alternate jersey's are worn a couple times a year.

Comment

• We're staring down the Jays worst season since before AA took over... and I don't see us in any better shape for long term prosperity... way to go Shapiro. At least AA kept things exciting ... nobody is talking Jays right now.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            We're staring down the Jays worst season since before AA took over... and I don't see us in any better shape for long term prosperity... way to go Shapiro. At least AA kept things exciting ... nobody is talking Jays right now.
                            TBH, this season couldn't have gone any worse than it has. All the injuries to key guys - JD, Travis, Sanchez, Tulo, Russ - not to mention all the career-low stats from most guys, but they really weren't that far from a wild card spot. Osuna has 10 blown saves? Wtf happened?

I'm trying to remain optimistic about the future, but until we have JD locked into a new contract and some kids show promise, I still don't know what to think of this new GM/President. They were inherited a team of older players in win-now mode, so I'm willing to give it another 2 years for full roster turnover to see what they can do before truly judging them(do I have any other option? &#128515.

It's just been such a good ride with the Jays and Raps the last few years, actually being in the playoffs, that it's tough to swallow a dreadful season such as this. Oh well, GO LEAFS GO.... EH!?

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                              TBH, this season couldn't have gone any worse than it has. All the injuries to key guys - JD, Travis, Sanchez, Tulo, Russ - not to mention all the career-low stats from most guys, but they really weren't that far from a wild card spot. Osuna has 10 blown saves? Wtf happened?

I'm trying to remain optimistic about the future, but until we have JD locked into a new contract and some kids show promise, I still don't know what to think of this new GM/President. They were inherited a team of older players in win-now mode, so I'm willing to give it another 2 years for full roster turnover to see what they can do before truly judging them(do I have any other option? ��).

It's just been such a good ride with the Jays and Raps the last few years, actually being in the playoffs, that it's tough to swallow a dreadful season such as this. Oh well, GO LEAFS GO.... EH!?
                              Its been a tough year for the Jays..in that they got killed by injury and the known problems of no speed and no corner OF showed up as expected. Jose was what you expected .. but not the Jose that he used to be and that stretch when they had Carerra, Smith and Pearce playing left field was really really bad. Fly ball outs fell in for doubles. It was brutal.

Kinda expected some of the older guys to miss time... Martin..Tulo.... Jose...but not as much as they did.
                              You have to expect that some of the pitchers would go down.. Its the nature of the game... but to lose Sanchez for the YEAR ? No one saw that coming.
                              Travis getting hurt again and missing the year was also unexpected.
                              JD after working himself into tip top shape getting hurt in spring training and missing a 45 days was a killer.
                              If it could go wrong it did.

So where to from here...?

Pitching is sorta OK for next year... Stro/ Sanchez / Estrada / Happ .. they need another two starters and some depth. Biaginni isn't one of them. Maybe Ried-Foley gets a shot. Maybe Rowley or some of the others are the 6 or 7 guys.. but they need another SP for sure.. likely 2.

Bullpen is OK... have a closer in Osuna and there are enough arms to fill out a pen.

Infield... If they don't trade him for starting pitching Smoak stays at 1st. They need an everyday 2nd baseman. Travis has been hurt 3 years in a row. They could try to trade Travis for a pitcher and pick up 2b like Ian Kinsler to backfill. At 22M a year Tulo won't be easy to move and the backfill for him is already here in Bichette. BUt he is two years away. This is a tough issue for Shatkins to solve but they will. SS with gloves are a dime a dozen.. They can find a guy to fill in for couple years in the system. I think with an eye to the business side they pay Donaldson. 4 years and 100M to keep the 3M attendance figure in play. Russ is here as long as he can play north of 120 games a year. Need to find a backup catcher.

Outfield. Pillar is a comfortable solution in CF but the team can really use an upgrade here. Kevin has no plate discipline. Suspect baserunning skills and doesn't hit for average. Decent power and way above average glove. So the need isn't pressing. He is cheap right now but they should be looking for when he is not. Real sore spots remain as they did last year the two Corner outfiled positions. Maybe one of Teoscar Hernandez or Anothony Alford can fight it out for left field but they are going to have to pay for a RF with some speed and who can hit for average. With Morales and JD and Smoak they have middle of the order power. They need some guys on base who can do some damage when they get on. The Jays running game is non existant.

So... the Christmas list is going to be in order
                              a free agent corner outfielder to backfill Jose.
                              a 2nd baseman (Kinsler ?)
                              a starting pitcher
                              finding a way out from underneath Tulos contract
                              signing JD to a long term deal or trading him now for a SP and some young ready to play kids

This keeps them on the fine line between being relevant and waiting for the kids Bichette, Gurerro to get here.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Just reading that Roy Halladay has died in a plane crash. So sad, he was only 40.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...sh-gulf-mexico

Comment

Working...
                                X