Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc
    started a poll The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Alex should be extended as General Manager for three years
    35.71%
    Alex should be extended for 5 years
    35.71%
    Alex Should be made President and General Manager
    21.43%
    The Jays should wait until a new President is hired
    7.14%
    I guess we should start a thread for those baseball fans out there most specifically the Blue Jays.

So what do you guys think of Anthopoulos going after this young Cuban kid Aroldis Chapman?

General Manager Alex Anthopoulos' quest to rebuild the Toronto Blue Jays could involve the big money signing of 21-year old Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman.

According to ESPN, the Jays held a private workout for Chapman Thursday morning in Florida, before meeting with his agents.

The 21-year old left-hander, worked out for around 14 teams in Houston three weeks ago, where his fastball reportedly topped out at 97 mph.

Chapman was reportedly offered a $15.5 million offer from the Boston Red Sox in November, when he was with his previous agent.

Chapman, who defected when the Cuban national team was playing in the Netherlands, is the highest regarded defector since Jose Contreras left in 2002 when the national team played in Mexico.

Contreras received a four-year $32 million contract with the New York Yankees in 2003. It is believed that Chapman could command a $20-25 million deal.
    Source - Click here

• Joey
    replied
    Atkins and Shapeero are ruining our Blue Jays. Fuck those guys.

If they truly want to compete by 2021 then Stroman shouldn't be going anywhere. He's right to call them "small town cheap".

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    I think everyone in the starting lineup is hovering near the Mendoza line right now..... These guys are really struggling to hit. Every pitcher that comes in we make look like a Cy Young candidate.

Long year ahead... not Oriole like.. but still need the visine to watch these guys.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    I will give a DS patented virtual beer to anyone who can name 6 2019 blue jays batters without cheating

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Shapiro wasn't satisfied with his cameo in "Moneyball". He wants his own Sequel.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

to sum it up: baseball is huge among the aging, who still have time to watch 4 hours of tv and still have cable. It is having trouble picking up younger fans. But I don't think basketball will ever over take NHL, or NFL/CFL, and will take a couple decades to threaten baseball. Even my younger friends, more prefer Jays over Raptors
    Depends where you live and what demographics. In my age group and city, basketball doesn't resonate with people cause casual sports fans didn't grow up with it and most kids didn't play it. My kids can go into TimBits next fall but they have zero interest in hockey. It was a nightmare just trying to get them on skates this winter. They are really interested in basketball and baseball - the sports dad played and watches - even though they are way too young for either.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Yeah okay old people. Makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Do the Jays get decent ratings even when they suck? Yes. The other day I had the radio on and there was just a bunch of baseball talk. Yet the team apparently sucks. Raptors are really good, and we barely here a peep.

Are there more casuals that like a bad team like the Jays over a good team like the Raptors? Tons more, especially 40 and over, even higher the older you get. Is basketball just always going to be a fringe sport in this country? Quite likely, at least for our lifetime. Hockey will always be king and culturally they are just so far apart on the spectrum.

I don't really get the baseball hype personally. It's a summer sport and isn't it America's national sport? Old people like watching it daily after the soap operas. Did the Jays success in the 90's really create so much fandom that people still stick around 20 years later? Are people watching because we had success with those old farts a few years ago (yet still didn't get to the finals)?

I just find the sport so boring. Yet the talking heads go on and on about it. The attraction to this sport in this country is very weird especially since the team has been so awful for so long.
    to sum it up: baseball is huge among the aging, who still have time to watch 4 hours of tv and still have cable. It is having trouble picking up younger fans. But I don't think basketball will ever over take NHL, or NFL/CFL, and will take a couple decades to threaten baseball. Even my younger friends, more prefer Jays over Raptors

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Do the Jays get decent ratings even when they suck? The other day I had the radio on and there was just a bunch of baseball talk. Yet the team apparently sucks. Raptors are really good, and we barely here a peep.

Are there more casuals that like a bad team like the Jays over a good team like the Raptors? Is basketball just always going to be a fringe sport in this country?

I don't really get the baseball hype personally. It's a summer sport and isn't it America's national sport? Did the Jays success in the 90's really create so much fandom that people still stick around 20 years later? Are people watching because we had success with those old farts a few years ago (yet still didn't get to the finals)?

I just find the sport so boring. Yet the talking heads go on and on about it. The attraction to this sport in this country is very weird especially since the team has been so awful for so long.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Just clicked on this thread to see the carnage.... few thoughts:

1. I have no problem with the Jays rebuilding. The problem to my mind was that this management team was brought in, didn't believe in the team, but both them and ownership refused to blow it up cause they wanted that sweet, sweet ticket money. Fine. But not having the courage of their convictions left the team in limbo for two years.... and now the rebuild is even longer.

2. Following from #1, they got nothing, zilch, nada for a laundry list of players. That's fine to me if you're a legit playoff contender going for one last gasp and it doesn't work out but they weren't.

3. Has any player leaving Toronto had anything good to say about the new management team or ownership? That can't be good.
    I believe, as Joey said above, Rogers tightened the purse strings after 2 cracks at it at that HIGH payroll. I think Beeston and AA kind of went "rogue" as Beeston was retiring, and said fuck it Alex enough treadmill, go for it. At that point the fans got CRAZY hype and it was a runaway train that Rogers couldn't cancel quite yet. Shapiro was brought in to tighten the purse strings again. Now we're a shoe string team. I'll believe it when I see it that we'll one day, when close, acquire guys the caliber Donaldson, Tulo, Price, Martin etc again.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Just clicked on this thread to see the carnage.... few thoughts:

1. I have no problem with the Jays rebuilding. The problem to my mind was that this management team was brought in, didn't believe in the team, but both them and ownership refused to blow it up cause they wanted that sweet, sweet ticket money. Fine. But not having the courage of their convictions left the team in limbo for two years.... and now the rebuild is even longer.

2. Following from #1, they got nothing, zilch, nada for a laundry list of players. That's fine to me if you're a legit playoff contender going for one last gasp and it doesn't work out but they weren't.

3. Has any player leaving Toronto had anything good to say about the new management team or ownership? That can't be good.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    57094456_10156505624653772_8087962260669988864_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-1.fna&oh=20cb3be665fea6e5e3fe25652711b96d&oe=5D4B3A20.jpg

Reading between the lines: "Shapiro can suck it."

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

This issue I have with this, is we were already at the "when you're close, buy free agents to put you in the mix" and Shap-eye-ro went and signed Morales (who we traded for nothing) instead of actually opening the piggy bank and bringing back EE, plus others. Had we done that, we would have been right back in the ALCS - instead, the regression from that year justified the full tear down we are seeing now. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that Rogers not only tightened the purse strings, but full out sealed them shut. The only reasoning I can see for this.
    I just hate they will suck....
    Those playoff runs with Joey Bats... EE.... JD.... Russ.... Marco/Buhele/Sanchez and Price on the mound...... were just magic...
    The Bat Flip is still one of the top 3 moments in ALL of TO Sports...long live you Joey Bats !!

BTW.. I don't begrudge you being a liberal... but this year for your conscience .. maybe put the election sign up.... in the back yard

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    I think Smoakie is also gone.... The Shatbot is doing what he was hired to do...

A) Build an el primo farm system for a steady and deep supply of low cost controllable talent
    B) When your close... buy free agents to put you in the mix.

Its a defendable strategy... but it sucks right now as the Jays are going to be horrible for a couple of seasons.....

This issue I have with this, is we were already at the "when you're close, buy free agents to put you in the mix" and Shap-eye-ro went and signed Morales (who we traded for nothing) instead of actually opening the piggy bank and bringing back EE, plus others. Had we done that, we would have been right back in the ALCS - instead, the regression from that year justified the full tear down we are seeing now. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that Rogers not only tightened the purse strings, but full out sealed them shut. The only reasoning I can see for this.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Apr 5th, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    I think Smoakie is also gone.... The Shatbot is doing what he was hired to do...

A) Build an el primo farm system for a steady and deep supply of low cost controllable talent
    B) When your close... buy free agents to put you in the mix.

Its a defendable strategy... but it sucks right now as the Jays are going to be horrible for a couple of seasons.....

rocwell wrote: View Post
    Twitter for the win

Leave a comment:

Working...
X