This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc
    started a poll The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Alex should be extended as General Manager for three years
    35.71%
    Alex should be extended for 5 years
    35.71%
    Alex Should be made President and General Manager
    21.43%
    The Jays should wait until a new President is hired
    7.14%
    I guess we should start a thread for those baseball fans out there most specifically the Blue Jays.

So what do you guys think of Anthopoulos going after this young Cuban kid Aroldis Chapman?

General Manager Alex Anthopoulos' quest to rebuild the Toronto Blue Jays could involve the big money signing of 21-year old Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman.

According to ESPN, the Jays held a private workout for Chapman Thursday morning in Florida, before meeting with his agents.

The 21-year old left-hander, worked out for around 14 teams in Houston three weeks ago, where his fastball reportedly topped out at 97 mph.

Chapman was reportedly offered a $15.5 million offer from the Boston Red Sox in November, when he was with his previous agent.

Chapman, who defected when the Cuban national team was playing in the Netherlands, is the highest regarded defector since Jose Contreras left in 2002 when the national team played in Mexico.

Contreras received a four-year $32 million contract with the New York Yankees in 2003. It is believed that Chapman could command a $20-25 million deal.
    Source - Click here

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

Hmmm .. alright, not as bad as I thought I guess ... looked them up, and they've got some potential. Thanks for sharing! Not quite there with Bichette or Vladdy though.
    Its bad.. they are both Liberals.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Two guys I think...
    Nate Pearson is the "guy" .. He is likely to be with the team when they leave camp next year.
    The other guy in the system is Alek Manoah .. or something like that spelling.... He is a clone of Pearson but without the 97 plus mph fast ball.
    Both guys are under 22 and they are both gorilla big.
    They have an 19 year old in low A ball they got from the Mets in the Stroman trade. Simeon Woods Richardson ...no idea on this kid.
    Shatkins likes him. But he is 19.
    Other than that... anyone with a snowballs chance is already in the lineup with the sept call ups...

Don't think we are pushng for the post season for a couple more years

Edited to get the pitchers name correct Alek Manoah
    Hmmm .. alright, not as bad as I thought I guess ... looked them up, and they've got some potential. Thanks for sharing! Not quite there with Bichette or Vladdy though.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    This is hilarious:

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Too bad we haven't been as lucky with pitching ... do we have any blue chip pitching prospects even?
    Two guys I think...
    Nate Pearson is the "guy" .. He is likely to be with the team when they leave camp next year.
    The other guy in the system is Alek Manoah .. or something like that spelling.... He is a clone of Pearson but without the 97 plus mph fast ball.
    Both guys are under 22 and they are both gorilla big.
    They have an 19 year old in low A ball they got from the Mets in the Stroman trade. Simeon Woods Richardson ...no idea on this kid.
    Shatkins likes him. But he is 19.
    Other than that... anyone with a snowballs chance is already in the lineup with the sept call ups...

Don't think we are pushng for the post season for a couple more years

Edited to get the pitchers name correct Alek Manoah
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Sep 19th, 2019, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Too bad we haven't been as lucky with pitching ... do we have any blue chip pitching prospects even?
    Part of it I believe is because the cupboard was bare and the guys running the show went mostly with position players in their drafts. So, we have a pretty mediocre young pitching cadre right now but it seems from the attached link there is a sense of optimism re the arms coming in the next 2-3 years. The big boy (literally) is Nate Pearson who will probably break camp with the BJs next year. If the team can trade for or acquire someone decent in f/a this should be good for the club ...and improve the bullpen. Here's hoping!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...ing-prospects/

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Man, add Bigio and Lourdes Gurriel Jr. to my list of "Oh shit, maybe it was worth it after all" reasons ... anyone got some salt and pepper for this crow? Lol

I honestly have no idea which of Bichette, Vladdy, or Gurriel Jr. will end up being the best player of the bunch ... and that excites me. Even Bigio going for the cycle proves he can be a multi-tool stud for us.
    Isn't it wild that his dad had a cycle himself? There maybe something to that gene pool theory after all ... all 4 you mention had dads in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Man, add Bigio and Lourdes Gurriel Jr. to my list of "Oh shit, maybe it was worth it after all" reasons ... anyone got some salt and pepper for this crow? Lol

I honestly have no idea which of Bichette, Vladdy, or Gurriel Jr. will end up being the best player of the bunch ... and that excites me. Even Bigio going for the cycle proves he can be a multi-tool stud for us.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Sep 18th, 2019, 01:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    You know what ... I'll admit it ... this new team is something to be excited about ... I was so bitter about them tearing down the best team we've had in a very long time, that I took for granted just how talented our youth actually were ... Bichette is something else ... future MVP if you ask me ... honestly, I'm more excited about him than I am Vladdy, and that's a good debate to be able to have. Still don't like ShapIro or Atkins, but ya, this is a club I can get behind still - just imagine if we actually got actual pieces back on our trades now .. Lol
    Ditto, ditto. Time to get the old glove out and toss the ball around Wait... summer is nearly over! Bichette is really an exciting player and I like Biggio as well... his stance at the plate is "to die for" ... am surprised he does not have a higher BA.

One more thought... I think Shatkins did a reverse deal with the Mets with the 2 pitchers they got for Stroman .... to makeup for the Dickey-Syndergaard deal. Kay started out well last night but suffered in the 5th and the 18 yr. old is projected to be better than him. Outfield needs help too. But time to jump on I agree.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    You know what ... I'll admit it ... this new team is something to be excited about ... I was so bitter about them tearing down the best team we've had in a very long time, that I took for granted just how talented our youth actually were ... Bichette is something else ... future MVP if you ask me ... honestly, I'm more excited about him than I am Vladdy, and that's a good debate to be able to have. Still don't like ShapIro or Atkins, but ya, this is a club I can get behind still - just imagine if we actually got actual pieces back on our trades now .. Lol
    Last edited by Joey; Sat Sep 14th, 2019, 04:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    I've raised an eyebrow at a lot of the moves of this front office but most of them have been explicable in one way or another. This Sanchez/Biagini is downright baffling. So let's try to make sense of it.

Jays have shown an affinity for post-hype/underperforming prospects (McKinney, Hernandez, Brito, Drury) and guys who have power but struggle with contact rate. Fisher, Derek to the courtesy phone, please. Now, that may or may not be a good strategy but does the Jays track record suggest that it is a good strategy and that they know how to employ to maximum effectiveness? Look at the names above.

They've also shown they want pitching depth, so, for example, the Stroman trade makes some sense even if the return seems light - at least they got two arms. So now, they've traded two MLB pitchers for...… an outfielder? When they already have Gurriel, Grichuk, Hernandez, McKinney, Alford..... well, you know what they say, "you can never have enough..... outfielding?".

Okay, so we're 0 for 2. But they Jays also love cheap, controllable players, right? In fact, Atkins big selling point on the deadline was how many years of control Toronto gained. Great! Except, they had Sanchez for one more year, Biagini for 3 and Fisher is..... out of options? Oh. Okay. So he needs to be on the 25-man next season. Right.
    I lurk around the BlueJaysBanter site and they (posters) had a very pissed off response to this trans. for the reasons you cite. I get the feeling who ever is the frontman for the negotiations gets overmatched especially at deadlines. Walk away is a good option sometimes. Both Boston & the Yankees did not want to pull the trigger but sure they were tempted.

Not getting at least a pitching prospect is inexplicable. Houston is known for resurrecting "broken" pitchers and may well do so with Sanchez who was touted 3-4 yrs ago to be CY material until his blisters and other assorted injuries occurred. He seemed on the way back and could have raised his value at least during the rest of this season. I hear there was a position player that the Jays threw in as well!

Here is a tortured somewhat pro trade theorizing ...

http://jaysfromthecouch.com/2019/08/...isher-edition/

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    I've raised an eyebrow at a lot of the moves of this front office but most of them have been explicable in one way or another. This Sanchez/Biagini is downright baffling. So let's try to make sense of it.

Jays have shown an affinity for post-hype/underperforming prospects (McKinney, Hernandez, Brito, Drury) and guys who have power but struggle with contact rate. Fisher, Derek to the courtesy phone, please. Now, that may or may not be a good strategy but does the Jays track record suggest that it is a good strategy and that they know how to employ to maximum effectiveness? Look at the names above.

They've also shown they want pitching depth, so, for example, the Stroman trade makes some sense even if the return seems light - at least they got two arms. So now, they've traded two MLB pitchers for...… an outfielder? When they already have Gurriel, Grichuk, Hernandez, McKinney, Alford..... well, you know what they say, "you can never have enough..... outfielding?".

Okay, so we're 0 for 2. But they Jays also love cheap, controllable players, right? In fact, Atkins big selling point on the deadline was how many years of control Toronto gained. Great! Except, they had Sanchez for one more year, Biagini for 3 and Fisher is..... out of options? Oh. Okay. So he needs to be on the 25-man next season. Right.
    Its a sad state. This is tanking to the extreme, except it doesnt pay off in the same way that Sam Hinkie in the NBA did it. Just trading anybody who is making more than a few million bucks and older than 23...I mean, eventually Bo, Vlad and Biggio will need OTHER players to play with..and some of these guys could have been those guys...I don't have a lot of faith in the team opening up the purse strings in free agency when the time comes, or winning any trades. I trusted Anthopolous to make those gutsy moves. This regime feels much different.

At least we got the Raptors

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suspenders
    replied
    I want to dislike Atkins and Shapiro a lot more, but I can't help but look at the Cleveland team they built up and keep wondering - will that be us eventually?

That being said, the Sanchez / Biagini trade made zero sense. I get the Stroman trade, however.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X