Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MMA Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slaw wrote: View Post
    And definitely one of the best UFC fighters of all time. Not as spectacular as Silva but as close to a perfect fighter as you're going to watch.

    I'm actually glad though that he is hanging them up. He has nothing to prove and you don't want to hang around too long. I always look at what has happened to Sakuraba who was maybe the greatest MMA fighter in his prime and only did harm to his reputation by continuing well after his best before date. Having said that, would have loved to watched him fight Khabib..... I think the UFC missed the boat on that one.
    George is the goat for me. Khabib/george would have been soooo great. I think if dana was sure khabib would win, he would do that fight. Might have become the higgest ppv ever.

    Comment


    • slaw wrote: View Post
      And definitely one of the best UFC fighters of all time. Not as spectacular as Silva but as close to a perfect fighter as you're going to watch.

      I'm actually glad though that he is hanging them up. He has nothing to prove and you don't want to hang around too long. I always look at what has happened to Sakuraba who was maybe the greatest MMA fighter in his prime and only did harm to his reputation by continuing well after his best before date. Having said that, would have loved to watched him fight Khabib..... I think the UFC missed the boat on that one.
      Sakuraba was the fucking man. The Gracie Hunter. Dude was so good.

      But ya, GSP going out on top. Can't argue with that.

      Comment


      • slaw wrote: View Post
        And definitely one of the best UFC fighters of all time. Not as spectacular as Silva but as close to a perfect fighter as you're going to watch.

        I'm actually glad though that he is hanging them up. He has nothing to prove and you don't want to hang around too long. I always look at what has happened to Sakuraba who was maybe the greatest MMA fighter in his prime and only did harm to his reputation by continuing well after his best before date. Having said that, would have loved to watched him fight Khabib..... I think the UFC missed the boat on that one.
        I actually would prefer he kick Woodleys teeth in first, but again, there will always be a new guy right, howlong does he gotta keep kncocking um down.

        Comment


        • Thought I'd drop this here for any of you older guys that remember these crazy times when MMA was just getting visible.

          I remember UFC 1, a few buddies and I who used to always talk about how Boxing was dumb, we were so freaked out by UFC's first show, it was like the gods had answered our teenaged prayers.

          They made it a sport, so they could get sanctioned, but the old days MMA didn't hide what it was, it was Bloodsport, and like it or leave it, at least it was honest about what it was doing.

          Comment


          • the two main events have little interest for me. i hope jones loses. either usman or woodley doesn't matter to me, i just want to see woodley smash colby.

            the rest of the card is amazeballs
            cody back vs munoz is a great fight, stephens/zabit, walker/cirkunov (walker fought like two weeks ago), and the return of lawler against the debut of askren.

            great card.

            Comment


            • is that next week Meik??

              Comment


              • Superjudge wrote: View Post
                Thought I'd drop this here for any of you older guys that remember these crazy times when MMA was just getting visible.

                I remember UFC 1, a few buddies and I who used to always talk about how Boxing was dumb, we were so freaked out by UFC's first show, it was like the gods had answered our teenaged prayers.

                They made it a sport, so they could get sanctioned, but the old days MMA didn't hide what it was, it was Bloodsport, and like it or leave it, at least it was honest about what it was doing.

                So, for those that don't know, Sakuraba was a professional wrestler who got his rep as the Gracie Hunter first by beating Royler Gracie (he had already beat a number of Brazilian fighters) handing the Gracies their first defeat in professional fighting in decades. But it was controversial because Royler refused to tap and the ref stopped the fight.

                The next Gracie fight was against Royce and the Gracies demanded that there be no time limit, no ref stoppages and no judges. They fought for ~90 minutes (6, 15 minute rounds - Gracies wanted no rounds but Sakuraba insisted). The long fight actually worked against Gracie and Sakuraba ended up breaking his leg with kicks when Gracie was on the ground trying to pull guard probably during the 6th round. Amazingly, Sakuraba actually went back out to fight the semi-final match and lasted a full 30 minutes before throwing in the towel before overtime. He followed that up by beating both Renzo and Ryan Gracie.

                Comment


                • Johnny walker baby

                  Comment


                  • anyone know where i can find a good stream for toniht, reddit is done now

                    Comment


                    • Superjudge wrote: View Post
                      anyone know where i can find a good stream for toniht, reddit is done now
                      http://bfst.to/watch/mma-2.php

                      Comment


                      • Damn ... Cody dropped again.

                        Comment


                        • last 3 fights on this card should all be good ones

                          Comment


                          • fuck shifty way to end that was looking like it would have been a sweet fight

                            Comment


                            • I don't know ... I'm pretty sure Lawler was out. Lol

                              Comment


                              • Joey wrote: View Post
                                I don't know ... I'm pretty sure Lawler was out. Lol
                                I was certain he was too. but the way he just popped up so fast makes me think he was okay. props to him if he wasn't out he was a really good sport about it most guys would have been livid

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X